Zwilnik's UK trip 2022

Started by zwilnik, May 26, 2022, 12:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Finally got back from my holiday/shopping trip to the UK with enough N Gauge loot to keep me going for a while.

I also managed to spend a day visiting the Pendon Museum and the Didcot Railway Museum and took a lot of photos. Way too many for me to upload to my NGF Gallery without crashing the site, so I put a large selection of them on a public iCloud share..

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0c5Uzl7VUeFxL

Most of the Didcot ones are focused on bits I was specifically interested in, so I've trimmed a few of the excessive repeats of things at different angles :)

zwilnik

This was the haul I brought back with me.

Thanks (in no particular order) to Kernow Model Centre, Hattons, Osborns Models, The Model Tree Centre, The N Gauge Society & Model Railways Direct for getting my orders delivered in time for me to be able to pick them all up.

I also nabbed the Kato/Dapol industrial goods train set from Hattons so I could test everything before cramming it into my suitcase and dragging it across Europe for 2 days on trains, so I should probably test it again now :)

Newportnobby

Smashing pics. I suspect many taken from a 3D printer's point of view ;)
Shame about the King in that  :censored: awful blue but that's just one of my pet hates.
How far along the restoration is the 42/52xx please?
The modelling at Pendon Museum is, quite simply, superb. I've never been so thanks again for the comprehensive set of pics.
Plenty of inspiration for you there, Chap!! (even a couple of LMS interlopers for @emjaybee )

Edit: A Blue Pullman, a Western Pullman and a chromatic blue Hymek! That's at least 3 people I know having organisms @Hailstone (for the Didcot pics), @Bealman (for the DMUs) and yours truly for the Hymek :)

crewearpley40

Sounds like a productive trip and agree with what's been said already

zwilnik

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 26, 2022, 12:54:31 PM
Smashing pics. I suspect many taken from a 3D printer's point of view ;)
Shame about the King in that  :censored: awful blue but that's just one of my pet hates.
How far along the restoration is the 42/52xx please?
The modelling at Pendon Museum is, quite simply, superb. I've never been so thanks again for the comprehensive set of pics.
Plenty of inspiration for you there, Chap!! (even a couple of LMS interlopers for @emjaybee )

Yes, lots and lots of wheels for my 3D printed models. I also noticed that at least one of the Macaws on display at Didcot had a distinct upwards bend in the middle, so I shouldn't be as worried about post curing warping than I have been ;)

The 42/52xx seems to have progressed a bit since I last saw it, but I didn't get to ask about it. (for once it was pretty much packed with tourists when I went. There was a 20 minute queue for the cafe!).

Pendon was my first visit in 40 years and it's grown a bit. The Madder Valley layout wasn't there previously and the Vale Scene has had a lot of work done on it. The volunteers there were also very helpful and informative.

zwilnik

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 26, 2022, 12:54:31 PM

Edit: A Blue Pullman, a Western Pullman and a chromatic blue Hymek! That's at least 3 people I know having organisms @Hailstone (for the Didcot pics), @Bealman (for the DMUs) and yours truly for the Hymek :)

Blue Pullman was second hand at Hattons (someone on the forum mentioned it and I jumped as it was on my wishlist ;) ) Got some blanking plates from Kernow as it's DCC)

The blue Hymek was from Kernow (apparently a new Dapol release) and the class 37 in blue was a Kernow exclusive (as was the parcels express GUV).

The Western Pullman was from Model Railways Direct.

Train Waiting

Thank you so much for these superb photographs.  It's been ages since I was at Pendon or Didcot.

Pendon is wonderful and the 'Vale Scene' has made progress since I last saw it.  The Madder Valley is a true delight and has been an inspiration to me since I first saw a picture of it over 40 years ago.

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

osborns

The Madder Valley layout has been at Pendon for well over 40 years I would imagine

zwilnik

Quote from: osborns on May 26, 2022, 05:11:46 PM
The Madder Valley layout has been at Pendon for well over 40 years I would imagine

Yes I asked them about it and while it was donated to Pendon in the 70s[edit (actually the 50s)]  it wasn't on display until after I previously visited sometime around 1982.

[edit] I just checked on the Friends of Pendon pages and it looks like it was on display in the 70s and 80s in some form, but not running until the 90s. So it's quite possible it was just not there when I visited as a teenager.

Graham

what great pics of Pendon and Didcot, reminiscent of my last visit a few years ago.

Bealman

Wonderful pics! Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:

Pendon is on the bucket list. Hope it happens!

Madder Valley is a legend which I'd love to see.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

A good haul of goodies there.

Do you wonder if there was a reason why, when you visited England, I drove to Scotland?

Have to keep social distance between us!!!  :smiley-laughing:

Bob

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations