Dapol Pannier tank haulage capability

Started by twinklekev, May 24, 2022, 06:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinklekev

Evening all,

This is a serious question for the NGF community. I have a Dapol pannier tank and I was wondering if anyone out there knew how many Peco 16t mineral wagons + brake van it would pull? Currently I have ten 16t minerals all with GF metal wheels.

So does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of a Dapol pannier tanks haulage capabilities so that I don't "overdo" the number of wagons.

Many thanks,

twinklekev

icairns

I don't know the answer to your question but I would have thought it would depend on the smallest curve radius that you intend to run your train around.  Tighter curves will limit haulage capacity compared to wider curves.

Ian

port perran

I think the Dapol pannier will easily haul 10 of those 16t wagons.
Maybe a dozen would be a realistic number.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

tunneroner61

Last year using an oval of Kato Unitrack I did some haulage tests. A Dapol 8750 pannier easily hauled 30 Peco wagons with Peco wheelsets. I did not try any more wagons as my actual layout doesn't have room for more than about 20.

HTH Norman

twinklekev

OK, thank you to all who have responded to my enquiry. It has given me some food for thought and I will definitely mull things over. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

twinklekev,

AlexanderJesse

A question is also how many of those wagons would the original haved taken around on normal trip?
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

Moria

Quote from: AlexanderJesse on May 25, 2022, 07:05:47 PM
A question is also how many of those wagons would the original haved taken around on normal trip?

As far as I am aware :-

57xx was a light goods engine and light passenger loco (under BR classified as 3F same as Jinty)..  so regular services upto 15 - 20 (usually smaller branch line trains) trucks or 4 coaches (approx), but for shunting had the capability of shifting 12 empty coaches as a station pilot.

If the train was more than about 20 wagons, it was generally sheduled for something bigger (if available).

Regards

Graham

It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations