Metal replacement wheels

Started by upnick, October 13, 2012, 10:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi  All,   

I  like to replace  plastic wheels with metal  ones on  stock   to   reduce crud on the track   &   have better free running wagons also  adding a little  weight to them.

Up  to now i've been  using Graham  Farish  379-411   spoked   ones which   are ideal  the only diffference being with Peco  wagons the  holes/bearing   boxes  for the axle  ends need a couple of careful twists with a  drill   to allow the  wheels to  move freely, also they are  non  magnetic ideal  for me as i  intend using  MT  couplers on some stock  with undertrack magnets.

Now comes my question  as the spoked ones are  not available anywhere i've searched the net, when  were the three hole wheel   type used on  wagons  (Graham  Farish   379-410 Axles with 3 hole disc) as my layout era  is transition  late 1960's.

Also  if anyone has used the three hole type are they non  magnetic  ?   

EtchedPixels

The supplies of the Farish ones come and go but quite a few other people sell 3 hole, disc and spoked wagon axles.

Not sure why this is in the 2mm section - the 2mmSA has its own supply of very nice 2fs spoked wheels and they will convert people stuff to 2fs just fine ?

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

upnick

Hi Alan,   

many thanks for your reply i   put this in the 2mm   section  as  it seemed  the right place to post it  as we dont have a British  N gauge discussion  section  unless i missed it.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: upnick on October 13, 2012, 11:19:06 PM
Hi Alan,   

many thanks for your reply i   put this in the 2mm   section  as  it seemed  the right place to post it  as we dont have a British  N gauge discussion  section  unless i missed it.

Thats everywhere else unless otherwise specified I think 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

upnick

BUMP   .......   

Sorry to bump this thread but i'd like to order some replacement wheels  tomorrow along with some kits whilst i'm off work this week  with a chance  of getting them /doing some work on them while i'm off, if  anyone can give me information  on  usage  &  if Graham  Farish   379-410 Axles with 3 hole disc are magnetic or not.

dodger

As far as I can ascertain the wheels on my Farish wagons are not magnetic.

The memory is not as good as it was and my experience of wagons only starts in the early 1970's, but I am certain many wagons had 3 hole disc wheels in the late 1960's. They were probably not the originals but replacement wheelsets.

Dodger

PLD

The LMS fitted '3 hole disk' wheels  to some express rated and/or vac braked goods/parcels stock pre-WW2, but the type was generally regarded as a coach wheel rather than a wagon wheel...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations