1:148 figures

Started by Vanrouge, April 11, 2020, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanrouge

Hi all what are the best in scale figures to use as 1:160 would be 7.5 percent too small or do you not notice the difference?
Cheers Nick

Bealman

I'm told that some of the cheap figures from various internet sources are overscale, but what you pay for is what you get, I suppose.

"Brand" names such as Preiser and others are pretty good, but a bit dearer, I suppose - although there are savings to be made if you paint them yourself.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

bridgiesimon

Several other ranges available to choose from, asa for size differences, we are not all the same height. If the difference offends, then different ranges could be used in groups and kept apart on a layout. sometimes having the change to have a bulk of figures at a sensible price outweighs the cost of using the high price Farish/Preiser/Noch/Bachmann figures.
Possibly the best bet is to acquire a few and compare.

As Bealman mentions, painting figures yourself reduces the cost - bulk packs of unpainted figures available from Preiser - especially useful are the seated ones for coach interiors. There are also great figures in the Langley whitemetal range.

Best wishes and keep us updated.
Simon

ntpntpntp

I wouldn't worry at all about the  scale difference between 1:148 and 1:160 - remember real people are all different sizes  :D

Mix and match from whatever ranges you can find, from the cheap and cheerful ones (not so well moulded and maybe need a repaint) to the higher priced better quality ranges.     Use unpainted bulk packs and paint them yourself, with maybe just a few  of the best pre-painted sets for specific scenes at the front where you need best detail.

I've always found Preiser 1:160 to be the best quality figures but remember their pre-painted sets are expensive so consider their unpainted sets. Some of the cheap bulk sets from eBay Far East suppliers aren't too bad for background crowds (but usually come in rather garish colours! so re-paint them)  The most disappointing for me have been some of the 1:148 whitemetal figures which just seem poorly moulded lumps.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

monkey_brains

The cheap ones regardless of scale inaccuracies are excellent for picking through to find the right size ones and chopping the legs off to fill a coach
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

jpendle

Quote from: monkey_brains on April 11, 2020, 06:32:07 PM
The cheap ones regardless of scale inaccuracies are excellent for picking through to find the right size ones and chopping the legs off to fill a coach

Why would you fill a coach with legs??  :laugh:

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

monkey_brains

Quote from: jpendle on April 12, 2020, 08:16:26 PM

John P

Oh dear  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: jpendle on April 12, 2020, 08:16:26 PM

There's no arm in that :no:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations