Metcalfe laser cut parts discoloration

Started by Vanrouge, September 12, 2018, 11:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanrouge

Hi All I just about to start on a Metcalfe Country Station and the laser cut parts are showing quite a bit of discoloration from the cutting process. Is this normal and if so what is the best way to deal with this eg Door frames should be white. I tried sending the surface with a fine sanding stick which seemed to be working but will be labourious to do all the parts. Any advice would be appreciated Cheers Nick

ntpntpntp

Most of the laser cut bits and pieces I've seen a darkened burn coloration, it's the nature of the process.    No big deal though, you're going to paint it aren't you?      I never leave anything like that unpainted.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Vanrouge

I wasn't going to paint but looks like I might be now 🙂.

Karhedron

The big appeal of Metcalfe is that you don't have to paint them (aside from covering any lingering white on the edges). If you get into having to paint them, you might as well start looking at other kits.

I would advise giving them a call in the first instance and asking for their help. It may be just a bad example slipped through quality control. I would argue that a pre-printed model that is badly discoloured by the laser cutting process is not fit for purpose. With lukc they may send you a replacement if you provide photographic evidence.

Speaking of which, can you show us a photo of the problem? I have seen plenty of Metcalfe kits but not any of their new laser-cut ones yet.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bramshot

I find the discolouration is quite a realistic effect on the components, where dirt might have collected, or rust formed.

PLD

Assuming it is the kit I'm thinking of: https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/pn137-n-scale-country-station-4/

This is a mixed media kit - pre-coloured die-cut card for the main structure, with laser cut uncoloured wood for some detail parts such as canopy and roof valences.

Which parts are discoloured? Is it the card (not laser cut, so not burning, possibly fading due to UV exposure or lack of care in folding) or is it the wood parts which are laser cut, but you would expect to paint...

silly moo

I found that the pieces are usually discoloured more on one side than the other so if possible I flip them over and use the best side. This works for most parts like windows etc. although there may be a few parts you can't flip.

Izzy

I have had laser cut parts in card in several recent kits which seem to have suffered from laser burn. I haven't had any with wood bits but just assumed it's a side effect of the process. Not sure what the answer might be to disguise it since it's often difficult to overpaint this kind of discolouration with a lighter shade without viewably affecting the base material used.

Izzy

Bealman

I know when I get the odd skin cancer thing lasered off the top of me head there's got to be discoluration around, cos it hurts.

But it's on the top of me head so I can't see it.  ;) ;D

Sorry.... back to laser cut parts....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations