Dapol A4 not moving

Started by Vanrouge, August 11, 2018, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanrouge

Hi all your help would be appreciated. I have a Dapol A4 that is not moving the motor is running and the cardigan shaft is turning but no drive is reaching the wheels.
Cheers
Nick

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Vanrouge, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I have no experience with the loco in question, but it sounds like a simple fix and one of our members with knowledge of the loco will be along soon!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

thebrighton

It's that cardigan shaft it's been fitted with ;)
Even though the shaft is turning is it actually clipped in to the yoke in the loco? It could have popped out so will happily spin without doing anything.

Vanrouge

Many thanks for your replies guys🙂

ntpntpntp

Yeah, does sound like the shaft isn't located at the loco end.  It can happen if you're not careful about holding the loco and tender together in one hand, and allow the tender to swing or flex too much in relation to the loco.

Should be possible to re-locate it using thin snipe nose pliers or tweezers, without having to actually remove the bodyshell.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Vanrouge

Bramshot

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 12, 2018, 10:04:59 AM

Should be possible to re-locate it using thin snipe nose pliers or tweezers, without having to actually remove the body-shell

Removing the body shell of an A4 is a nightmare as you also have to undo the valve gear linkages, as the valve gear comes away with the body shell.  I replace the cardan shaft (regularly) by making sure it is aligned with the slots in the loco sleeve, dangling it over the correct location with the loco and tender held almost vertically, then pushing together. Needs good eyesight and lighting. Try not to lose the shaft inside the loco body. If you do, you have to try to shake it out again. Of course , while doing all this there is a good chance you will break the connecting wires between loco and tender.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations