Class 108

Started by upnick, November 15, 2011, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi All,   

The  Graham   Farish   class  108  DMU    in  Br Green   with speed whiskers  do   BF   include  fittings  for the  buffer  beam to replace the  Rapido coupler  in  the  bax from the factory  if so  are there enough fittings for both  ends,    forgive  my  ignorence  on  British   locos  but  did  the class  108     only  run  as  they are released  by  BF    in  pairs. 

4x2

Quote from: upnick on November 15, 2011, 08:10:13 PM
Hi All,   

The  Graham   Farish   class  108  DMU    in  Br Green   with speed whiskers  do   BF   include  fittings  for the  buffer  beam to replace the  Rapido coupler  in  the  bax from the factory  if so  are there enough fittings for both  ends,    forgive  my  ignorence  on  British   locos  but  did  the class  108     only  run  as  they are released  by  BF    in  pairs. 
Hi Nick ! Yep, all front end pipe's etc are included. Couplers are NEM pockets so you can just pull the coupling out.  :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Zunnan

Quote from: upnick on November 15, 2011, 08:10:13 PM
forgive my ignorence on British locos but did the class 108 only run as they are released by  BF in pairs. 

They were built as 2, 3 and 4 car sets, Farish covers the 2 and 3 car sets with both single power (one engine per set) and power twin (two engined cars) variants although they don't yet do the roof mounted headcode panel variant, only the roof mounted destination blind type. They could run in multiple with any other compatible DMU with 'Blue Square' equipment (class 101 and class 121 for example using current RTR equpment), and were also often worked in hybrid sets using cars from different DMU classes; so you could run a class 101 and a class 108 power car together for a hybrid 2 car set, or any other combination of 3 car and even 4 car sets.

I remember travelling to school on these units. Tyseley used to throw out some real oddball hybrids, my favourite was a 5 car set formed using a 101 driving car, 116 lavatory comp, 108 trailer, 117 driving car and a 122 bubble...and not all of it was in blue/grey. There was NSE and Regional Railways in the mix!
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

upnick

Many thanks 4X2  /Zunnan    they  would look  nice  running on  a  DC  shuttle track for  the layout so  i   have them  in mind possibly.

tadpole

As a Stourbridge line commuter in the late 70s, I well remember Tyseley's fleet changing from perfectly formed 3-car BR 117 suburbans to a ramshackle mixture of hybrids. I guess the new cross city line meant Tyseley had to go cap in hand all over the country for anything with a blue square on it.

It was fun waiting on the platform at Langley Green not knowing what on earth might turn up. Could be anything from BRCW, GRCW, Swindon cross country, cravens, met-cam, or good old 117. Sometimes there was even a 47 banking at the front, though this would be removed at Langley.

At least one of their 3-car units had three brake vans, resulting in hardly any seats. On the plus side, alot of them had declassified first class accommodation.
Two rails good. Three better.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: tadpole on November 15, 2011, 11:33:38 PM
As a Stourbridge line commuter in the late 70s, I well remember Tyseley's fleet changing from perfectly formed 3-car BR 117 suburbans to a ramshackle mixture of hybrids. I guess the new cross city line meant Tyseley had to go cap in hand all over the country for anything with a blue square on it.

I believe they were all concentrated in one or two sites towards they end as policy. Certainly commuting into Brum on the Solihull line you used to get anything lashed together providing it had a cab at both ends and enough working engines, including sometimes throwing in a 121/2 to give it enough oompf. Made for an interesting ride.

Likewise I always used to hunt the 'ex first class' bits 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations