Does Size Matter Help needed

Started by UPINSMOKE, October 16, 2014, 12:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil chris

Who said it was a Peco kit...... correct, dont ask me for the blue peter badge though.
Found my old shed and even the box, must have made this in the mid 1980's.

By the way my kit had a base which fitted over peco track, seems to be a door missing too, although there seems to be another door in the box.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on October 16, 2014, 03:42:20 PM
Agree with Daveg the round building is a US water tank.

I saw that you are building " a Station" assume Metcalfe, however you will also need to raise the level on which the platform sits if you are using kato track. Otherwise your passengers will be queueing up at A&E...

Keep us informed.

Jerry

Your quite right I am building a Metacafe Station, I did not think of that  :doh: :confused1: But then I don't think of a lot of things before I do it :D for instance buying a job lot of buildings that really are not as good as I expected.  Oh well will pick what I want to keep and the rest back on the Bay. I now think that I will concentrait on using Metcalfe unless there are other kits I should look out for. As for the US style water tank will have to find someone who is modelling a American layout.

Thanks everyone for their input much appreciated. :thankyousign: :NGF:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Bealman

Those buildings can be made to look quite respectable. I'm on phone at moment but will post some pics when I get home.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

That American water tower.... it need not be thrown away, it could be converted to something else in a lineside industry, for example.

Anyway, talking of conversions, here are the promised pics. Many years ago, I also bought a whole heap of stuff second-hand, as the price was too good to resist. I also believe in never throwing anything away, as I reckon you find a use for it sooner or later!

Here's a Peco shed and wonky Ratio water tower plonked on bare baseboard in what will become an industrial area:
[smg id=17464 type=preview align=center width=400]
That is a Hornby-Minitrix water tower in the background, minus it's tank! That's 'cos the tank is perched on top of a Heljan kit-bash:
[smg id=17470 type=preview align=center width=400]
Another H-M tower is elsewhere on the layout:
[smg id=17467 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=17468 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=17469 type=preview align=center width=400]
A Ratio footbridge:
[smg id=17465 type=preview align=center width=400]
The building in the timber yard is a Hornby-Minitrix engine shed sliced in half, painted, and embellishments added:
[smg id=17471 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=17472 type=preview align=center width=400]
The little shed on the left is from a Pola kit of an American prototype, by the way (I'm sure you can find a use for that American tank!!)

The Peco signal cabin can brush up quite well:
[smg id=17473 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=17474 type=preview align=center width=400]
....and the very same H-M signal cabin that features in UPINSMOKE's pics, but with Ratio slate roofing on top and carved Milliput on the bottom (it has a grain-of-wheat bulb inside too, but it decided not to work for this photo):
[smg id=17466 type=preview align=center width=400]
Anyway, I hope this has calmed some of your fears that you may have made a wrong purchase!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

George

Karhedron

Quote from: Bealman on October 16, 2014, 11:39:15 PM
Those buildings can be made to look quite respectable. I'm on phone at moment but will post some pics when I get home.

I agree, both the Peco and Ratio buildings are perfectly good although the Peco one benefits from a lick of paint rather than the coloured plastic. Here are a mix of both products on my WR BLT "Chew Magna" and I think that they look the part.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bealman

UPINSMOKE

All right I get the picture :doh: :-[ I am not thinking again. I can see now that they all can be put to good use. Being a newbie to all this I just don't see the bigger picture. I do get rather impatient with it all, I suppose I just want to get things done without to much hassel. I realise now that this project is a marathon not a sprint.

I will spend more time thinking about what is possible with patience and a slower pace to it all. I know I am trying to rush things and want to be able to just buy the right buildings and plonk them down on the layout without too much effort and just play trains :D :D

I can now see that this is not what its about, and I must be a little more patience in the future.

Oh and thanks guys  :greatpicturessign: it has helped a lot on what can be done with a little more thought.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

EtchedPixels

And if its in good nick you can probably flog the minitrix one to a collector....
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

daveg

In a hurry to get down and run trains is natural and I do sympathise; been there meself.

However, you now have it right!  You'll get loads more pleasure and satisfaction from the hobby by taking things just a bit more steady and doing a bit of research/rummaging/asking around for info.

Take your time. The NGF and Google are your friends (nothing compares to the NGF but other search engines are available  ;)) and we are all here to help but by doing that bit or rummaging you may find you get to know a few extra bits of info and develop a set of handy website links.

I found that buying (a few  :no:) used books on the region and locos that interest me really helpful.

For me, there's a load of electrickery I've got to get in my head so Brian Lambert's book will be well read. In case you've not got quite that far yet, here's a link to his website: http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted.  :)

Enjoy!

Dave G

trainsdownunder

QuoteIn a hurry to get down and run trains is natural and I do sympathise; been there meself.

Haven't we all ! That's partly why I switched to Kato Unitrack. At least I can have a small run around and play whilst working towards the master plan.

Quote"LORD give me patience....................and I want it NOW !!"

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations