Does Size Matter Help needed

Started by UPINSMOKE, October 16, 2014, 12:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPINSMOKE

Hi all,
         I thought the title would get you looking :D :D

On a serious note I have just purchased a job lot of trackside buildings. They include engine sheds, coal station, signal boxes, and various other bits. The problem I have is it was stated it was N Gauge. Some of which is ok, but have my doubts about the rest. I am no expert on N Gauge buildings as I do not have that much. I am thinking most of it may be Z Gauge. Below are the original pictures of all the buildings.

If anyone can help, all I need to know what height is the average signal box, engine shed etc. I am trying to make sure I am not making a mistake before I get back to the seller. I have taken a few photo's below next to an engine and rolling stock as a guide. If you could have a look and let me know what you think please.

Engine Shed and the N Gauge engine will not fit and I have another shed like this, also other buildings of similar size.

Signal Boxes look too small against the wagon.

This looks ok to me.

Engine only just clears footbridge.

This does not look too bad but not that sure.

Its a pity if some is not what it should be as I would like some of the items. It was all described as N Gauge. Just hope you are able to help me.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

lil chris

Hi there, That engine shed looks like a Ratio Kit, I have one of those from years ago. I have noticed you have raised your track quite a bit,I think you just need to raise the the buildings level with the track. Others will confirm I think I am correct.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: lil chris on October 16, 2014, 12:11:35 AM
Hi there, That engine shed looks like a Ratio Kit, I have one of those from years ago. I have noticed you have raised your track quite a bit,I think you just need to raise the the buildings level with the track. Others will confirm I think I am correct.

Thanks for you input I am using kato track so that how it comes. Are Ratio Kits smaller than say Metcalfe as I have a Goods Shed by Metcalf and that is much bigger that the Engine Shed.

Bealman

That is all N gauge stuff. Some of the buildings are from the early Peco range - and that includes the engine shed.

Others, such as the signal box and water tower are from the Hornby-Minitrix range of the 70s & 80s. The water tower on legs and the Southern style concrete footbridges are Ratio kits.

I have several such buildings (heavily kitbashed) on my own layout.

As lil Chris says, the solution is to mount the buildings level with what I presume is Kato track.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Yup, definitely the Kato track which is the "issue", not the buildings. I had a similar issue with a shed I bought recently, so I used different (in this case Tomix) track inside.

Kato sell adapter pieces which allow you to interface with non-Kato track.

PLD

As other have said, the Loco Sheds are PECO (as are the goods sheds) If you put PECO track in the shed the loco will fit easily. The problem is the Kato Track or more precisely the 3ft deep (so called) ballast layer. You need to raise the Shed 3ft to match.

When you have the shed at the right height the doors will just clear the top of the rail. - Think about it if they are any lower they wont close so what is the point of them??

port perran

Yes, all looks N gauge to me and yes, you will probably need to raise your buildings up a bit so that they don't start being significantly lower than the track. Remember that in N a few millimetres makes a big difference.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Karhedron

I agree with the above, those are N gauge kits are assume they are at the same height as normal set or flexitrack. If you raise the track on underlay or have built-in ballast (such as Kato), you will need to raise the buildings to match.

With regard to your other question, yes, the Metcalfe buildings are more generously proportioned compared to plastic or resin kits. They are not out of scale as often, there was no standard size for these buildings. Something worth bearing in mind though.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

trainsdownunder

This is the only issue I have found using Kato track - everything needs to have its base raised to match. The profile for Kato is somewhat higher than standard Cork & Peco which work well with these models.

There may also be some difference in Scale size as UK is based on 1:148/150 where as US is 1:160. This is sometimes reflected in the kit manufacturer.

Bealman

Difference in scale..... good point, but those items are for British N.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

UPINSMOKE

Thanks guys that's a great help. All I have to do is decide what I want to use now.

Quote from: PLD on October 16, 2014, 07:55:49 AM
As other have said, the Loco Sheds are PECO (as are the goods sheds) If you put PECO track in the shed the loco will fit easily. The problem is the Kato Track or more precisely the 3ft deep (so called) ballast layer. You need to raise the Shed 3ft to match.

When you have the shed at the right height the doors will just clear the top of the rail. - Think about it if they are any lower they wont close so what is the point of them??

How did I miss that  :doh: :) it makes sense now thanks.

Quote from: Karhedron on October 16, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
I agree with the above, those are N gauge kits are assume they are at the same height as normal set or flexitrack. If you raise the track on underlay or have built-in ballast (such as Kato), you will need to raise the buildings to match.

With regard to your other question, yes, the Metcalfe buildings are more generously proportioned compared to plastic or resin kits. They are not out of scale as often, there was no standard size for these buildings. Something worth bearing in mind though.

I agree with what you say about Metcalfe kits. I do like these I have now several of there shops and terraced houses. Also in the process of building a station. I may just go with their kits and pick the best of the job lot and sell the rest thanks.
Quote from: railsquid on October 16, 2014, 04:23:50 AM
Yup, definitely the Kato track which is the "issue", not the buildings. I had a similar issue with a shed I bought recently, so I used different (in this case Tomix) track inside.

Kato sell adapter pieces which allow you to interface with non-Kato track.

Thanks for that, I may look at something similar. :)

One other question as I am so thick what is the round building in the first pictures as am not sure myself.  :NGF:

daveg

The round construction looks like a non UK (? N American?) water tank to me but happy to be corrected.

Dave G

Jerry Howlett

Agree with Daveg the round building is a US water tank.

I saw that you are building " a Station" assume Metcalfe, however you will also need to raise the level on which the platform sits if you are using kato track. Otherwise your passengers will be queueing up at A&E...

Keep us informed.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

steve836

Quote from: daveg on October 16, 2014, 03:15:44 PM
The round construction looks like a non UK (? N American?) water tank to me but happy to be corrected.

Dave G

That's what I thought when I saw it.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

trainsdownunder

Quote from: daveg on October 16, 2014, 03:15:44 PM

Dave G

Looks like the one from the Bachmann series, but definitely US style.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations