Server Upgrade

Started by guest2, December 06, 2018, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Exactly what I got when I logged on this morning. I allowed the notifications. (Hope that was right!).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Invicta Alec

Admin,

I'm no programming expert but just an observation from me (apologies if this comes under the heading of teaching grandma to suck eggs) ........

The forum is back to operating very slowly this morning. At each turn of page I get the message "Establishing secure connection" at the bottom left of my screen (Windows 10. Chrome browser). I thought establishing a secure connection was a routine that took place when you first access a website. It shouldn't need to keep doing this once you are on the site?

As I said, just an observation, not a moan.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on January 02, 2019, 11:13:49 AM
Exactly what I got when I logged on this morning. I allowed the notifications. (Hope that was right!).

Not knowing what Notifications I was going to cop for I blocked them >:D
It's true the forum is very slow while the changes are being made and, at this rate, I could be sat here all day. Please send Red Cross parcels :help:

LAandNQFan

My message is different.  I'm running Firefox (latest version).
After requesting a page I see a message for up to 10 seconds giving details of the page I requested, which then changes to "Establishing a TLS connection to ngaugeforum.co.uk" for up to 20 seconds.  The whole website has become a cumbersome tortoise, a pain to use instead of the fun it used to be.
:sorrysign:
I know that you were trying to improve things by the changes, but for me the result has been the opposite.

When I pressed {Preview} to check my spelling, fetching the preview took 20 seconds.  :(
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

dannyboy

Quote from: LAandNQFan on January 02, 2019, 11:42:04 AM
The whole website has become a cumbersome tortoise, a pain to use instead of the fun it used to be.

When I pressed {Preview} to check my spelling, fetching the preview took 20 seconds.  :(

I have to agree that the delay in all pages loading is a right pain, but I presume, (hope), that it is only temporary whilst changes are afoot.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Tank

Sorry!  We're trying to sort it out.  Believe me, I'm more annoyed than most!

It seems that we are being constantly attacked by 'bots' from other countries.  The host is helping to rectify this with NGF Tech.  Also, once the new gallery is installed and photo's converted to work with it, that will also help.  There were a lot of problems with the forum that we're working through.  I know that it's very annoying for you, but it's annoying for me, and has taken up a lot of my Christmas break to sort out.

:thankyousign:

Tank

Oh, and feel free to 'allow notifications' from this site.  :)  It's for pop ups when you get a Private Message or replies to posts.

nookfield

Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2019, 12:07:29 PM
Oh, and feel free to 'allow notifications' from this site.  :)  It's for pop ups when you get a Private Message or replies to posts.

Unfortunatley in Microsoft Edge you can select which site to Allow notifications from, It is either ALL sites or No sites.

I'll be keeping mine at No sites.

Just a bit irritating getting the settings message ever time a page is loaded. I've tried turning off all notifications in my profile but still get the message

Tank

All I can suggest is to change browsers.  However, I know that can be annoying when you're used to how one works.  Hopefully Microsoft will enhance their features soon.

Snowwolflair

I just tried it on Edge and I'm not getting any problems.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: nookfield on January 02, 2019, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2019, 12:07:29 PM

Unfortunatley in Microsoft Edge you can select which site to Allow notifications from, It is either ALL sites or No sites.

I'll be keeping mine at No sites.

Just a bit irritating getting the settings message ever time a page is loaded. I've tried turning off all notifications in my profile but still get the message

Try clearing your cookies as the constant changes to the forum rescently may have corrupted how your browser handles the forum web pages.

nookfield

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 02, 2019, 12:55:56 PM
Try clearing your cookies as the constant changes to the forum rescently may have corrupted how your browser handles the forum web pages.

I've tried that and it made no difference

Newportnobby

I've asked this before but at the time it was not possible - would it be possible to click on 'Show all unread posts' and then delete the ones I don't want to read thus leaving me a list of what I do want to read? Just asking.

railsquid

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 04, 2019, 10:27:27 AM
I've asked this before but at the time it was not possible - would it be possible to click on 'Show all unread posts' and then delete the ones I don't want to read thus leaving me a list of what I do want to read? Just asking.

Related to that, pretty please is there any way of listing all recent threads, regardless of whether they've been read or not?

Anyway keep up the good work, ignore the grumbling from the peanut gallery ;)

LAandNQFan

Much better this morning, Chris.  10 seconds between pages.
David
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations