!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021  (Read 25315 times)

Online Chris Morris

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Dawlish Warren
    • Awards
Re: A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021
« Reply #660 on: December 25, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
Although it isnít perfect, based on looks, performance and value I rate the Kato 800 as the model of the year for 2021.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021 - DCC
« Reply #661 on: December 25, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »
A note from Keith at Train Trax

I was speaking with the Sales Manager at Gaugemaster yesterday regarding these decoders which should have been available when the Class800 were released over nine months ago. Gaugemaster are packaging and distributing these in the UK. He informs me that they have just received a small quantity of the decoders which are being sent to retailers according to the date of their order I am being allocated 14 in respect of my order of December 2020 and my further orders amounting to 50 should be with me in quarter one 2022. The reason for the delay in supplying these decoders is due to the lack of microchips available.

I have checked you order and agree you have prepaid £40.00 but unfortunately there are 32 customers who have ordered before you so I will only be able to supply you when the Quarter one delivery arrives. I have attempted to obtain a supply of these decoders from my Japanese and US wholesalers, but they are in the same position, unable to supply me until the quarter one release.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #662 on: December 25, 2021, 10:24:31 PM »
And once again weíre reminded of how rubbish it is when manufacturers make no real concessions to DCC, and require proprietary parts. ďOh you want to actually use your stock? Tough!Ē.

Kato clearly arenít going to change, given their market is domestic and DCC is apparently far less popular in Japan, but why canít them just fit an NEM socket?!

Offline GlenEglise

• 'S Rioghal Mo Dhream
    • Awards
« Reply #663 on: December 26, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
All you need is a sign.

There were similar signs at Falkirk Grahamston Station in Scotland when the Highland Chieftain Inverness/King's Cross was a 2 + 9 for a good few years.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 08:57:20 PM by GlenEglise »

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #664 on: December 29, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
A note from Keith at Train Trax

I was speaking with the Sales Manager at Gaugemaster yesterday regarding these decoders which should have been available when the Class800 were released over nine months ago. Gaugemaster are packaging and distributing these in the UK. He informs me that they have just received a small quantity of the decoders which are being sent to retailers according to the date of their order I am being allocated 14 in respect of my order of December 2020 and my further orders amounting to 50 should be with me in quarter one 2022. The reason for the delay in supplying these decoders is due to the lack of microchips available.

I have checked you order and agree you have prepaid £40.00 but unfortunately there are 32 customers who have ordered before you so I will only be able to supply you when the Quarter one delivery arrives. I have attempted to obtain a supply of these decoders from my Japanese and US wholesalers, but they are in the same position, unable to supply me until the quarter one release.

Good news from Keith!!

Good news, I have just been allocated a further supply of Kato decoders and will be shipping yours in the next few days.

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #665 on: December 29, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
I cancelled my order at 10:30 this morning, guessing that may be his additional allocation ;D

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #666 on: January 04, 2022, 11:11:30 PM »
Iím glad that you made the supreme sacrifice as my chips arrived today!

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #667 on: January 20, 2022, 08:29:42 PM »
Finally I have some decoders for my 800s. But Iíve stuck. Iíve fitted the motor decoder and the headlight decoders to both end coaches. Put it on the track and great dcc control. Reprogrammed it all on the track and it has its ident and movement. But lights.. in one direction both front and back car are white, change direction there both red. How the heck do you get them correct ie one end red one end white ? Itís beyond meÖ..and also cold in the loft to be fiddling !

Offline PaulCheffus

• Awards
« Reply #668 on: January 20, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »
Finally I have some decoders for my 800s. But Iíve stuck. Iíve fitted the motor decoder and the headlight decoders to both end coaches. Put it on the track and great dcc control. Reprogrammed it all on the track and it has its ident and movement. But lights.. in one direction both front and back car are white, change direction there both red. How the heck do you get them correct ie one end red one end white ? Itís beyond meÖ..and also cold in the loft to be fiddling !

Hi

From the instructions Iíve seen one of the light decoders needs to be inserted a different way to the other.

https://www.tramfabriek.nl/kato-800.html

I donít have my decoders yet so I havenít been able to try mine.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #669 on: January 20, 2022, 08:59:03 PM »
Thanks for that will try flipping one tomorrow, I got bored waiting and so bought the zimo mx605n set from dcc coastal. Bit more expensive but at least I can run the set instead of them collecting dust !

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #670 on: January 20, 2022, 10:00:55 PM »
still waiting for my 2 sets from Kernow, every follow up gets the same reply, still waiting for the supply.
It's a shame we are all left wanting, if only Kato had done their research on the UK market a bit better we would all be happy.
The sets are lovely, would just like to be able to run them on the layout instead of up and down the test track.

Offline osborns

• N Gauge Society Number: 4832
  • 2mm Association Number: 2545
    • Osborns Models Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #671 on: January 20, 2022, 10:07:37 PM »
we have had some decoder sets available for the last 2 weeks. Not sure how many we have left at the moment though.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #672 on: January 21, 2022, 08:49:24 AM »
It's a shame we are all left wanting, if only Kato had done their research on the UK market a bit better we would all be happy.

I'd suggest they've done their research quite well - they've produced a reasonably detailed model at a very decent price; Surely what the majority call out for?

The trouble is, the UK is a very small part of Kato's market. I'd guess less than 10% of all the Class 800 units they've made will end up in the UK. The rest will stay in Japan where DCC is apparently very uncommon.

I am surprised that Japanese modellers haven't taken to DCC. With their love of automated toilets and vending machines that sell virtually anything you'd think it would be popular. More so if the majority of the hobby there revolves around Unitrack based layouts that can be set-up and taken down quickly.

Steven B.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #673 on: January 21, 2022, 08:39:12 PM »
Flipped one of the end coaches decoder round 180í and now works as it should , thanks for the help !

Hi

From the instructions Iíve seen one of the light decoders needs to be inserted a different way to the other.

https://www.tramfabriek.nl/kato-800.html

I donít have my decoders yet so I havenít been able to try mine.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #674 on: January 21, 2022, 09:24:52 PM »
@Steven B, I do agree Kato did their research quite well, in fact for the model itself it is an excellent piece of work, it is just the DCC side which has let them down a bit. Maybe next time they will look at using a standard for the decoder fitting.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £102.34
Above Goal: £42.34
Site Currency: GBP
171% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal