N Gauge Loco's and Rolling Stock Reviews?

Started by Yet_Another, June 22, 2016, 10:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

More of an observation than anything, but the loco review section isn't really just about reviews. There's plenty of comment in there which is very un-review-like. This thread is an example:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26883.0

Perhaps my over-obsessive side is showing, but it irks me that there's non-review stuff in the review section.

Perhaps it could be renamed 'reviews and comments'?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

I appreciate what you're getting at but in the example you have quoted comments have been made on the announcement by Farish of the new tooled class 40. Nothing has been produced by them yet so nobody can review it. We hope (probably in vain) that someone from Farish reads this section of the forum at least in the hope we can perhaps provide them with some ideas of what numbers/liveries folks would prefer.

Yet_Another

Well that's my point, really. It's in the review section, but there's no review. As you've said, only comments.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

dannyboy

Quote from: Yet_Another on June 22, 2016, 10:26:27 PM
Well that's my point, really. It's in the review section, but there's no review. As you've said, only comments.

The man has a point  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Sprintex

On the other hand every comment contributes to a review as it's still giving information about a model whether it has actually been released or not ;)

Paul

NeMo

Totally agree, and in fact would argue it's one of those places Moderators could prune chit-chat away and even lock threads until such time as the actual model is released, or at the very least, until such time as people can (usefully) comment on pre-release samples and so on.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on June 22, 2016, 10:14:19 PM
Nothing has been produced by them yet so nobody can review it. We hope (probably in vain) that someone from Farish reads this section of the forum at least in the hope we can perhaps provide them with some ideas of what numbers/liveries folks would prefer.

OK. I won't post anything in the review section until I actually have the item in my hand, by which time we'll get what numbers/liveries we're given ::)

Yes - I'm throwing the rattle from the pram :P

MJKERR

Quote from: Yet_Another on June 22, 2016, 10:05:44 PMThis thread is an example:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=26883.0
Yes and no
The main issue is the category name and the sub-header does advise "Your purchase"

However if there is a separate category for the same sub-topics, then it is just duplication

Personally this just a topic that sneeked through and should really have been in the General N Gauge Discussion
Equally, it can be difficult to work out sometimes where a new topic should be
Almost every week I see locked topics which have been moved (which I have never seen any other forum before)

Yet_Another

Quote from: Sprintex on June 23, 2016, 02:57:01 AM
On the other hand every comment contributes to a review as it's still giving information about a model whether it has actually been released or not ;)
Hmm. I would argue that a review is a coherent critique of a specific article at hand, written as a piece. Additional comments are just that.

TBH, I only raised it because this section is entitled 'Forum Ideas and Problems', and this is on the 'Ideas' side. Just adding 'and Comments' to the title of the review section would do it for me  ;)

As I indicated, a bit literal minded, but it would more accurately reflect the content.
Tony

Yet_Another

Quote from: NeMo on June 23, 2016, 06:40:11 AM

Totally agree, and in fact would argue it's one of those places Moderators could prune chit-chat away and even lock threads until such time as the actual model is released, or at the very least, until such time as people can (usefully) comment on pre-release samples and so on.
I principle, I agree, but it would mean more work for those jolly volunteer moderators, so how about just slightly change the purpose of the section?
Tony

Sprintex

Or how about we just leave it as it is since it's worked fine up until now? ;)

Paul

Yet_Another

That also leads to less work to do. Even though it's wrong.
Tony

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations