Logged IP address

Started by PaulCheffus, January 07, 2013, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulCheffus

Hi

I note whenever I view a post that I have made there is an IP address listed, however, I know what my external IP address is (yes I know it changes from time to time but I can always find out what it is) and it isn't the one shown.

So I was wondering where does the forum get the IP address from? Is it stored when the post is made as this would explain why it doesn't match what I think it should be?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

MikeDunn

<has a look to see if there's a difference between logged & actual>

Edit : nope; while not the one this PC uses, it is the one allocated by my provider & in use on my router.  You sure your logged address isn't the same ?

edwin_m

I had problems recently with the forum accusing me of being a spambot because my IP address (when logged in via VPN) was on some sort of blacklist.  This warning was kindly disabled for me (thanks guys) but I later had the same on a more work-related site and reported it to the IT people.  They responded the IP address in question was nothing to do with the company! 

Edwin
Not a spambot...  but if anyone can help me get the £10m out of my Nigerian bank account I'd be eternally grateful...

PaulCheffus

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 07, 2013, 07:48:58 PM
<has a look to see if there's a difference between logged & actual>

Edit : nope; while not the one this PC uses, it is the one allocated by my provider & in use on my router.  You sure your logged address isn't the same ?

Hi

Quite sure, however, I have answered my own question. The logged ip address is the one at I have at the point of making the post.

The one on this post is different from the one logged earlier and what I would expect from my current location.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

MikeDunn

Curious - mine rarely changes (I think) ... who do you use for your ISP ?

PaulCheffus

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 07, 2013, 09:30:57 PM
Curious - mine rarely changes (I think) ... who do you use for your ISP ?

Hi

Orange.

Your IP address will change if you reboot your router (not sure if this is the case with a cable connection).

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

MikeDunn

Ah - I assume a mobile connection then ?  I can see that changing regularly ...

Next time I reboot (or have an ISP-caused outage) I'll check ...

Oldman

Mine seems to change, probably due to where the mobile signal goes to landli.nes
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

EtchedPixels

The addresses logged seem to be the public address used for the connection. If you've got a typical home internet setup with an ip port masquerading router (ie most setups) you'll log the routers address. If the ISP has caches between you and the board then  lot of stuff will be magically intercepted by your internet providers caches and the address logged may well be from the caches themselves.

Mobile stuff is almost always shunted via magic boxes and caches.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations