So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Went to the pharmacy today, 30 minute queue to pick up a prescription
Then went to Tesco, 20 minute queue, plenty on the shelves except pasta, tinned toms & beans. Got to the check out to be told I couldn't have 2 small packs of chicken, 2 small packs of mince, salmon, gammon joint and bacon. Only 3 of any fresh meat allowed. I could have totally snarled up the queue by replacing the mince and chicken with bigger packs but, rather than distress my fellow shoppers I made the point to customer services later that I clearly wasn't stock piling just doing my weekly shop and they have put me at further risk by making me come out and queue again for the rest of my meat, they didn't get it.
The snowflake ahead of me had (amongst others) 3 six packs of 1 litre bottled water, 3 packs of 24 toilet rolls and 3 boxes of 18 eggs, all got through no probs   :doh: ??? ???

Popped to M&S for a pizza, 20 minute queue, only wanted one pizza so reckon I dodged a bullet there  ::)

themadhippy

Quotesadly, I'm reconciled to being too far up country to qualify for a delivery.
Tempest brewery is in your neck of there woods,i highly recommend the mexicake.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

zwilnik

Into my second week of isolation here in Spain. I moved into my new flat about a week before the lockdown, so while I've got my boxes in I didn't manage to get much furniture in or (more importantly) anything I can use as baseboard for a temporary model railway layout. I can't go out and get anything either as for some reason they count building a model railway as 'non essential'.

So I'm trying to decide which room in the flat doesn't really need a door. (most of the doors will get replaced anyway once this is all over).

dannyboy

Quote from: zwilnik on March 27, 2020, 10:15:32 PM

So I'm trying to decide which room in the flat doesn't really need a door.

Now that is what you call being dedicated to the hobby.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

We have just had an announcement here in Ireland to the effect that we are in total lock down for 14 days from midnight. Apart from some exceptions, which have been listed, nobody is allowed out. I suppose I am a bit fortunate in that I can go out twice a day to take Louisa to, and collect her from, work, as she is classed as an essential worker - but that is it.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

At last our local Tesco has got their act together. All flooring/aisles marked with tape to keep distance between shoppers. Queue outside for about 15 mins as '1 in, 1 out' in operation. They even had loo rolls and milk so got some for myself and Mum!!!
Black mark, though, for Tesco staff who go round scanning stuff on the shelves and just plonk themselves right next to you ::)
Duly delivered newspaper and essentials to Mum and, in a 10 mile round trip, saw not one police person

crewearpley40

Forget tesco where I live. Nightmare and an untalkative staff member in a queuing system 1 in 1 out. Went to Mark's Spencer staff seem very relaxed  friendly, helpful. Managed to find what I wanted at the local corner shop too

railsquid

Very relieved because my parents, who are both in the 70+ "stay at home for 3 months" group have managed to get their grocery deliveries prioritised for early next week rather than the "maybe in 3 weeks" they were being told the other day (they have a few days of reserves as they live in a slightly out-of-the-way village which can get cut off by snow but not enough for "maybe 3 weeks").

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 28, 2020, 10:20:01 AM
At last our local Tesco has got their act together. All flooring/aisles marked with tape to keep distance between shoppers. Queue outside for about 15 mins as '1 in, 1 out' in operation. They even had loo rolls and milk so got some for myself and Mum!!!
Black mark, though, for Tesco staff who go round scanning stuff on the shelves and just plonk themselves right next to you ::)
Duly delivered newspaper and essentials to Mum and, in a 10 mile round trip, saw not one police person

yesterday ours was still offering to wipe your trolley handle ....

but no hand sanitiser for you, so any germs go straight back onto the handle  :'(

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: class37025 on March 28, 2020, 01:13:58 PM

That may be a euphemism too far :o ;)

chrism

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on March 28, 2020, 01:44:49 PM
Quote from: class37025 on March 28, 2020, 01:13:58 PM

That may be a euphemism too far :o ;)

Tesco are now taking temperatures before letting people into the store.......You've been warned

crewearpley40

A painful position. Enough there.... it's a family user friendly forum

daffy

As SWMBO and I are endeavouring to keep in strict isolation, bar walks and bike rides, our next visit to a Supermarket (seeing as we will be unlikely to be able to book a delivery here) is at least 2 weeks away if we eek things out carefully.

So I'm preparing for a busier time of sowing seeds and reaping the rewards. Ground semi-prepared, seeds on the way, and back aching. Obviously a long term project but I'm pretty sure we shall all be dealing with this pandemic for months not weeks now, and maybe longer, so it's all worth the effort.

Of course, what Mother Nature might do now will be to give us a blisteringly hot summer and drought conditions so I can while away my time watching the results of my labours wither and wilt.  :(  :'( :doh:

But in reality I'm more optimistic than that. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

Daffy.
I'm with you on that.
Our allotment (which is quite large) id 90% ready with 2nd early potatoes all in and first seeds sown.
Of course, nothing much will be ready to eat till at leat mid June (ish) although we currently have purple sprouting and spinach and we should have the first early season rhubarb for pudding tomorrow.
Our big worry is that the country implements a total lock down which means, presumably, that the allotment will be out of bounds and left to its own devices  :(
For the time being however, we can only get things ready as if all will be well.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

EtchedPixels

Our milkman seems to be coping so far, which means milk, bread, butter/marg, eggs, bacon, jam and crumpets are in supply - so I can probably survive indefinitely! Also discovered a load of the local farmers who did markets are now doing deliveries to try and stay in business and shift the stuff so we were able to get a stock of burgers and the like too.

Some of the garden is planted, much more to do.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations