What goes ......whizzzzz........Fizzzzzz......POP!

Started by Graham Walters, October 20, 2015, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Walters

Twenty quids worth of point indicator controller when you connect it to the 19v supply insted of the reccommended  15v one. !
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

scotsoft

Ah! The magic blue smoke  :doh:

I hope you don't need a second try at connecting a controller.

Cheers John.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Komata

The old advice to steam loco modellers to 'let the smoke out' of their locomotives, has just taken-on a whole new meaning....

(My commiserations BTW.  Expensive.:(
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

MikeDunn

Sounds like when I connected a Bluetooth module I'd waited 3 weeks for (China purchase) to the 12V line instead of the 3.3V line - I wondered what the whisp was above it and then  :smackedface:  Nice little hole burned through the insulation, and another 3-week wait for the replacement  :censored:

Northern Git

Graham Walters

In some kind of sadistic way, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done this  :-[
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

MikeDunn

Quote from: Graham Walters on October 21, 2015, 09:54:47 AM
In some kind of sadistic way, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done this  :-[
LOL, all of us who play with this stuff do it ...

My excuse is at the time I only had red & black wiring, & got hold of the wrong red ...  :censored:

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Graham Walters

Quote from: Only Me on October 21, 2015, 09:59:45 AM
Graham if its from block signalling then i would presume you have just fried the voltage protection component ie the VR which is easily replaced

I wish it was, but I know enough to know that it was the processor that fried, I'm almost certain I saw the code evaporating with the smoke it gave off.  :'(
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Mito

Quote from: Graham Walters on October 21, 2015, 06:57:56 PM
Quote from: Only Me on October 21, 2015, 09:59:45 AM
Graham if its from block signalling then i would presume you have just fried the voltage protection component ie the VR which is easily replaced

I wish it was, but I know enough to know that it was the processor that fried, I'm almost certain I saw the code evaporating with the smoke it gave off.  :'(

Did it have VW in the code ;D?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations