What If 58's were not retired?

Started by guest1328, December 29, 2014, 11:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest1328

Some would have undoubtably fallen into Direct Rail Services clutches!!

As you can see idle hands can get carried away!

[smg id=19954 type=preview align=center caption="DRS Class 58"]

Actually think it looks pretty good 😛

Tank

mark100

Quote from: Only Me on December 29, 2014, 11:29:46 AM
Some would have undoubtably fallen into Direct Rail Services clutches!!

As you can see idle hands can get carried away!

[smg id=19954 type=preview align=center caption="DRS Class 58"]

Actually think it looks pretty good 😛
Looks good, have any of these been preserved yet?
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Maurits71

thanks Paul, will look good on my layout ;)
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

BobB

Goining in the other direction (time wise) I wish the 58's ran in corporate blue........

As it is, I suppose a couple of 20's nose to nose will have to suffice.

Chris

That is superb! With the bargain 58s around at the moment I'm tempted to do a Colas one, especially now that Railtec have released the decals for all the other classes.

BTW 58016 is the preserved one, currently at Barrow Hill in ex-Fertis livery the last I knew. I cannot wait to see this working as I've not seen a 58 since I was 7 years old in 1986, and this is only because I found a photo of me next to it! (my memory certainly doesn't stretch that far...)

Geoff

That is nice work, but where do you get the transfers for a class 58, I have a blank one to work on.
Geoff

railsquid

Quote from: BobB on December 29, 2014, 05:43:31 PM
Goining in the other direction (time wise) I wish the 58's ran in corporate blue........

As it is, I suppose a couple of 20's nose to nose will have to suffice.

Here you go ;)

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?58052_brb.jpg

Claude Dreyfus

...and very smart it looks too. I still like them in R/F red stripe livery, although R/F Coal also suited them. Like the green 47s and Deltics, locos carrying a livery especially designed or modified to suit their styling always look great.

Although I would be fascinated to see a Colas liveried example...

Croxy

Recently ordered this one from Dapol....DCC fitted for 70 pounds......really nice model but I find it only runs at a moderate speed (which I don't mind) but so different to my GF Locos.......

Has anyone else experienced this with Dapol products?????

:thankyousign:

If you like it run it......

Skyline2uk

Quotereally nice model but I find it only runs at a moderate speed (which I don't mind) but so different to my GF Locos.......

Has anyone else experienced this with Dapol products?????

I have two of their 58's and a 56. These are all fitted with what Dapol call their "super-creep" motor.  The idea is that they can run very slowly at prototype speeds (such as those locos did with MGR trains for example).

Mine all have a noticeably lower top speed than GF locos and are great for crawling around. So long as they don't get warm or make huge amount of noise you are good  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Claude Dreyfus

Yes, the gearing is designed for slower speed running,

I may well have posted this before...but this example is running close to top speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2CBSm9i7E

Rabbitaway

Hi All

How slow should the Class 58 run? The loco in the video looks faster running than my one

The one I have takes about 4 seconds to cover a metre at full power

It does not get hot and will pull an extensive rake of wagons so would appear to be in good order

The Class 56 I have does run quicker and seems about right for a heavy freight loco

:thankyousign:

railsquid

Of the 10 or so British (Dapol/GraFar) motive power units in my possession it's one of my favourites, looks great and runs very nicely. It's not fast - by design - which is good, because it's a freight locomotive. A bit on the loud and growly side but that saves having to get a sound chip ;)

Croxy

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on December 30, 2014, 09:44:43 PM
Yes, the gearing is designed for slower speed running,

I may well have posted this before...but this example is running close to top speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2CBSm9i7E

:thankyousign: That would appear to be similar to mine as well!!!
If you like it run it......

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations