Import Duty etc On Goods From UK After 1 January 2021

Started by dannyboy, December 08, 2020, 07:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul J

Quote from: dannyboy on January 07, 2021, 10:15:05 PM
Packages can get through "unscathed". I have in the past had two orders from Japan that I knew should attract the attention of the customs people - one got through, one didn't. Unfortunately, it was the more expensive one that did not get through - and that cost me about €80 in duty etc.!  :(. That is why, in general, I ordered anything of any value from the EU - as I said earlier, I might have to put my buying on hold, (temporarily  ;)).

It may be that the packages are triaged to process those with the largest revenue. Or it could be an unlucky coincidence!

woodbury22uk

I have a non-model railway item arriving from China. It was an Ebay purchase on 1 January 2021 and VAT was charged and paid when the order was placed. The package arrived in the UK on 7 January, and is reported in the Royal Mail network as of 4.42am this morning. If this works as intended I should avoid the RM customs handling fee.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

If that becomes the new norm I could cope with that - I find the uncertainty frustrating, and actually the handling fee is usually disproportionate for the cost of item I'm buying.

TMcG1959

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on December 08, 2020, 10:02:18 PM
I wonder if going via Northern Ireland will make life easier?

No it isn't. I placed an order on Wednesday with Peco and it hasn't left their shop yet. They said they cant get their head around the paperwork because they havent sent anything to N.Ireland yet so god knows when it will arrive.

The Tories really have f**ked everything up!

njee20

No, the electorate have. Let's not get political.

It'll have to settle down, this doesn't seem sustainable.

Flange Squeal

Aren't Devon and Northern Ireland both in the United Kingdom anymore?

TMcG1959

Paul J

The public voted to leave the EU. At the time of the referendum, the leave campaign/s was/were ambiguous (I am being polite) on this issue.

Leaving the EEA was the government's decision based on a political judgement that the public wanted to reduce EU immigration. The 2019 election outcome suggested that their political judgement was correct. We are yet to see what will be the correct political judgement at the next election. It may be that the public didn't understand the ins and outs of international trade and may not like the outcome.

All of this is politics, and the solution will be political. But not really a topic for this forum perhaps.

guest311

Quote from: woodbury22uk on January 08, 2021, 08:53:25 AM
I have a non-model railway item arriving from China. It was an Ebay purchase on 1 January 2021 and VAT was charged and paid when the order was placed. The package arrived in the UK on 7 January, and is reported in the Royal Mail network as of 4.42am this morning. If this works as intended I should avoid the RM customs handling fee.

I always try to make sure my orders of wargames stuff from china are less than £15, then no VAT and no robbing mail admin fee.

this often means multiple orders, but as they are post free no problem there, and touch wood I've only come unstuck once, when I put in two orders, but the same day.

then someone in china was'efficient, combined the two into one parcel, and put the total value on the customs form  :'(

so instead of the parcel I got a card from RM, did not so much worry about the VAT, £2.45, as even with that the items were good value, it was the £8 RM fee for 'admin' which got my goat, especially as I had to do the admin for them on line  :veryangry:

so basically, the charged me £8 to scribble a card and drop it in my post box, and delay my parcel.

I am sure I remeber there being a system years ago where HMC notified you, you paid them, and no admin fee.

instead of that, my parcel sat a mile away from me for two extra days and I was charged for the privilage  :censored:

woodbury22uk

Hasn't the £15 low value consignment relief limit now been removed? It was based on an EU Council Directive 2009/132/EC which no longer applies in the UK.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

carlmt

Quote from: woodbury22uk on January 08, 2021, 12:59:49 PM
Hasn't the £15 low value consignment relief limit now been removed? It was based on an EU Council Directive 2009/132/EC which no longer applies in the UK.

So yet another benefit of being in the EU that we have lost........

Wonderful  :claphappy: :claphappy: :thumbsdown: :censored:

Paul J

Quote from: carlmt on January 08, 2021, 01:37:31 PM
Quote from: woodbury22uk on January 08, 2021, 12:59:49 PM

So yet another benefit of being in the EU that we have lost........

Wonderful  :claphappy: :claphappy: :thumbsdown: :censored:

The government could have chosen to continue it if they wished.

guest311

on the bright side, .....

I can tell SWMBO that the number of parcels that arrived last year was in fact forward planning for just such a change in the rules ...

rather than just me buying too many models   :angel:

daffy

Quote from: class37025 on January 08, 2021, 02:23:20 PM
on the bright side, .....

I can tell SWMBO that the number of parcels that arrived last year was in fact forward planning for just such a change in the rules ...

rather than just me buying too many models   :angel:

Er ... um...  doesn't that now mean you have shot yourself in the foot for any defence for buying this year? :hmmm:

Sounds like a right royal lack of forward planning to me. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations