New Post Ratings Installed

Started by guest2, December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maridunian

Thanks for all the work that's gone into this. The icons are now clearer and better spaced. Personally, I'd ditch "Dislike" but add "Disagree" to the list.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Tank

Thanks Mike.  :)  All a work in progress, so we'll see if new icons should be added, adjusted or removed.

njee20

"Help required" is an interesting one as it's one which you'd generally want to assign to your own posts. As a rating for others it strikes me as being akin to RMWeb's unclear/undecipherable as Claude Dreyfus talked about, which was used principally toward members who perhaps weren't all that good at written English.

Generally liking it though - definitely an improvement, well done.

Newportnobby

The only time I've ever used a thumbs up was to greet fellow bikers out on the road. I don't like it as a substitute for a Thank You :sorrysign:

dannyboy

I agree with Mick in that 'Thumbs Up' and 'Thank You' should be separate. I also feel that having a 'Disagree' or 'Dislike' is a bit pointless without a post explaining why. I also feel that 'Help Required' is of no use without explaining just what help is required. But, as has been said, "You can please some of the people some of the time ........". Just my 2 pennorth.  ;). Having said all that, thank you @Tank for the work done.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

So far, two responses to my post. 1 x 'Like', which is self-explanatory, and 1 x 'Dislike'. So, is it the whole post that @nookfield dislikes or just one bit? And if that is the case - which bit? In my view, that proves that the 'Dislike' button is not much cop on its own.  :)
David.

PaulCheffus

Hi

I think there is something wrong with the total rating. In this thread there are two posts where one has been rated twice but the total shows four (reply 123) and the other has been rated twice but the total shows one (reply 124).

I have also seen this in other threads.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bob Tidbury

I still think we  still need the   :thankyousign: and excuse my ignorance but what are the two at the end for I presume the light build is to represent an idea but the pink one I have no idea . Other than that  I will be using the thumbs up or down  and I would use the   :thankyousign: and maybe a thing for asking for help would be a good one .But this is just my opinion and will be happy to go along with the majority thoughts .
Tank has just explained to me what ( bots ) are I am not very good on all this modern technology  apparently that's what is causing a lot of the problems with the speed  of the Forum at the moment .
But he said it is work in progress so  :thankyousign: to everyone working hard in the background the usually unsung heroes  ,but at least sometimes they do get a mention  my son was on tele this morning with James Heskell to talk about their new book and how to give athletes ,footballers rowers and rugby players the fitness and stamina to be the best at their sport so proud of him I'm sorry I added this into my post but the background workers very rarely get a mention and without them we wouldn't have a Great Forum ,a Winning Rowing team and
,nearly won the World Cup and so on .
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

Saw that piece @Bob Tidbury . Your son came across well and certainly seems to know what he is talking about.  :thumbsup: (Off topic I know, but that is your fault Bob!  ;)).
David.

Papyrus

My brain hurts!

Been doing several days turbo-grandparenting and finally sign in again to find there's been a revolution, followed by a revolt!!

Joking aside, I appreciate what Tank is trying to do and all the work he is putting in. However, I agree with all those who, er, dislike a 'dislike' or 'disagree' button. If you disagree with something, I think this requires you to say why, not just hit an emoji. I think Dannyboy has it spot-on in his post #124. From personal experience, my wife is a musician who does occasional gigs and I have posted videos of some of them on Youtube. She gets some likes, but also some dislikes, which is disheartening. Why would you do that? Either say why you don't like it so that the musicians can learn from it, or just don't watch it if it's not your thing. Same applies here, I think. 'Thank you' and 'Thumbs up' are great shorthand when you appreciate what someone has written but don't feel the need to comment, but I probably won't bother with the rest.

Right, let's get back to trains!

Cheers,

Chris

PS. Just read Bob Tidbury's post. Agree with that too!

daffy

I've also noticed that it's possible to put two (or more?) ratings on a single post. For instance, a thumbs up, and a tick. I also sometimes get notification of two ratings (the same things in each) from the same person, sometimes timed the same, sometimes slightly time differentiated.

And to add to the debate (why not, some seem to have more views than most and I'm just looking for balance), I disagree about the similarity between dislike and disagree, and like and agree. They can be quite different. But then in such a case where I wished to make myself clear I would make comment and start an argument discussion. Or more likely just keep silent cos life's too short to worry about so many things.

Ratings are surely only a rough guide to a wider memberships views and/or involvement, and should never be taken either too seriously, or be challenged in any way by others. Freedom of expression, either by words and sentences or by clicking on an iconythingamywotsit, or by saying/writing nothing, is an inalienable right of us all.

We can have more buttons/icons, or less, or change their meaning, or whatever, but as things stand I think they are about right (though the return of a straight forward ThankYou would also be nice). And if the icon choices fail to express what someone wants to say about a post, then they have the right to make a fuller response.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 03, 2019, 11:48:39 AM
The only time I've ever used a thumbs up was to greet fellow bikers out on the road. I don't like it as a substitute for a Thank You :sorrysign:

Thank you!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

nookfield

Quote from: dannyboy on January 03, 2019, 12:41:46 PM
So far, two responses to my post. 1 x 'Like', which is self-explanatory, and 1 x 'Dislike'. So, is it the whole post that @nookfield dislikes or just one bit? And if that is the case - which bit? In my view, that proves that the 'Dislike' button is not much cop on its own.  :)

Only part of your thread. Personally I think a Disagree option is useful, but not dislike as I didn't dislike your post (there was nothing to dislike as it was just your opinion) I just didn't agree with all of it.

njee20

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 03, 2019, 12:57:06 PM
I still think we  still need the   :thankyousign: and excuse my ignorance but what are the two at the end for I presume the light build is to

"Brilliant" and "Best Solution" apparently

nookfield

Personally I didn't see what was wrong with the old system of just having a 'Thank You' button. It was unambiguous it what it meant.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations