NGF Photographic Competition 2013

Started by Newportnobby, January 29, 2013, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Added my pair after shrinking them to under 500k before uploading and checking them on the album they're even more compressed and 1/4 the file size! Will re-upload bigger versions in the morning to compensate for whatever extra compression the upload seems to do.

zwilnik

It looks like the upload automatically crunches pics to 1024 pixels width maximum, so mine were losing definition by already having slightly higher JPG compression but staying at a higher resolution. re-done to 1024 size.

chalfytich

Any idea when the results of the photographic competition will be posted?

Dave

Newportnobby

Quote from: chalfytich on April 19, 2013, 07:43:16 AM
Any idea when the results of the photographic competition will be posted?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I know Steve Flint is very busy at the moment but I will give him a nudge to see where he's up to :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

I now have the results to hand and will be putting them in this thread tomorrow.
Watch this space :D

Pengi

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Geoff

Geoff

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Sorry to keep you all in suspenders >:D :D

Here are the results of Steve Flint's deliberations:-

A nice selection of entries in both categories with a good spread of subject matter, particularly amongst the prototype selection. In judging the model photos, I looked for images which demonstrated any of the following attributes; a pleasing or creative composition, good depth of field, or thoughtful use of lighting. I shortlisted the following six images;

pg1  img 2       by Shaun Harvey

pg1  img11       60038 night time at Jiggers Bank

pg2  img6       Kilvean Irish terminus

Pg2  img12       Claywell High Street

Pg2  img15       LMS 3F through bridge

pg3  img5       Class 45

The winner which shows good composition and thoughtful use of lighting is;

60038 night time at Jiggers Bank from Burton Wetmore

In judging the prototype photos, I looked for images which demonstrated either; a high technical standard in the conventional approach to train photography (ie 3/4 front views of trains in action), or creativity and thoughtful use of lighting and composition to generate a more unusual picture. I shortlisted the following six images;

pg2  img11       D-a-n 1   (sun, smoke and carriages)

pg2  img12       Ewan by Lanky Giraffe

pg3  img5       Leander 27th September 2008

Pg3  img9       LMS Black 5 44932 @ Church Fenton

Pg3  img12       Tornado @ Harling Road

pg4  img6       Marinsk, Siberia

The winner which shows creativity and thoughtful use of lighting and composition is;

D-a-n 1   (sun, smoke and carriages)

Thanks for the opportunity to judge the competition, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Incidentally, anyone interested in learning more about model railway layout photography can download some advice pages by visiting the Railway Modeller website at www.pecopublications.co.uk/railway-modeller/photography-tips.html

Kind regards

Steve Flint

Editor and Photographer

Railway Modeller

Huge congratulations to d-a-n and Burton Wetmore (Lucy) :claphappy:
Your virtual trophies will be posted against your forum avatars very soon.

Many thanks to everyone who entered the Photographic Competition and, as we intend to run this each year, your chance may yet come so keep snapping through the year.

A big  :thankyousign: to Steve Flint of Railway Modeller for taking time out of his busy schedule to judge the entries.

scotsoft

Congratulations to d-a-n and Burton Wetmore on their winning entries  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

chalfytich

Thanks for sorting them out Steve. It must have been difficult to do. Congratulations to the winners

Dave

Pengi

Congrats to the winners and thanks to NPN, for organising the competition and to Steve for the judging.
:thankyousign:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

d-a-n

What fantastic news to receive! Thank you to Steve for judging my photo, it means so much to know there are people who rate and enjoy my photography. I'll be posting the news and a larger version on my facebook and website

www.danbarlowphotography.co.uk

I may even send it off to print to celebrate!

Thank you to everyone who organised and entered this competition.

:NGF:

Bealman

Well done, winners! Just had another look at your photos and your wins are well-deserved. Congratulations!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Shaun Harvey

Just well pleased to be in the shortlist. Well done everybody!

S

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations