wndows vista wanted

Started by djgriff, April 20, 2012, 06:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djgriff

Hi can anybody please help, my hard drive has gone west so got a new one , trouble is i can't find any of the discs that came with the computer, so i need a copy of windows vista home premium, all i need is the disc as i have the original code.

Regards

Dave

hairygit

You can download it free from "kickass torrents" if you have access to another computer. Or better still, upgrade to windows 7, you'd be amazed how slow vista is in comparison! :o
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

edwin_m

Windows Vista Wanted. 

There's a phrase I never thought I'd see. 

Newportnobby

Must admit - I wouldn't bother IMHO.
Worst thing Windows have ever done and best avoided like Veet for Men in sensitive areas :evil:

Adam1701D

QuoteWindows Vista Wanted. 

There's a phrase I never thought I'd see.

You took the words straight out of my mouth!  ;D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Lawrence

okay, so looking beyond the disbelief by some members to your request (and rightly so to be honest) I would actually suggest that if you have an older PC to get yourself a copy of XP, if you have at least a dual core processor and 4Gb + of RAM then get yourself Win 7 Home Premium.

As you have already guessed Vista is not held in high regard and this is true of IT people as well as us lot on here.

So XP for an older machine or Win 7 for something a bit newer

hairygit

To use windows 7, your processor must be at least 1ghz or faster, and at least 1 gb of ram, it doesn't have to be dual core, dual core just lets you do more things at once ;D
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

AndyGif

Quote from: newportnobby on April 20, 2012, 09:19:45 PM
Worst thing Windows have ever done and best avoided like Veet for Men in sensitive areas :evil:
how soon people forget... Windows ME, that's infinately  worse than vista.

RichardBattersby

Quote from: AndyGif on April 21, 2012, 08:30:48 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 20, 2012, 09:19:45 PM
how soon people forget... Windows ME, that's infinately  worse than vista.

I'll second that!!
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

djgriff

Hi all problem now sorted i have a operating system and yes its vista.

dave

MikeDunn

Vista has gotten a bad press (and not deservedly), due in the main to the security aspects that "everyone" screamed were missing form previous versions ... Can't please some folks.

And bear in mind - there isn't a lot of difference between Vista & 7 ...  Apart from the Aero interface, the security aspects have been relaxed / hidden more.

Mike

Donkey

I have a laptop running Vista and main pc running Windows 7 and to be absolutely honest Windows 7 is miles better and faster than Vista.

Marty

longbridge

Do yourself a real favor and get someone to download a copy of Linux Mint 12 for you. its free and allows trouble free computing the way it should be.

Always best to get out of the Windows scene and all the problems that come with it, no need for crap like Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, defragment and all the other anti's.

Linux Mint comes with all the required software including photo editing and office plus there are 36,000 other free software programs available, you can even run Windows software withing Linux.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EddieA

Quote from: MikeDunn on April 21, 2012, 10:22:44 PM
Vista has gotten a bad press (and not deservedly), due in the main to the security aspects that "everyone" screamed were missing form previous versions ... Can't please some folks.

And bear in mind - there isn't a lot of difference between Vista & 7 ...  Apart from the Aero interface, the security aspects have been relaxed / hidden more.

Mike

Yup, I bought a laptop a few years ago with Vista (prior to that I was running a self-build PC with Windows 98. Which BTW is still going strong and supporting an ancient high grade photo/film scanner which won't run on more modern versions of Windows!)

But, I haven't had any major problems with Vista and have found the 'free' Moviemaker' programme a distinct plus. OK, I do have a more sophisticated programme, but for banging out a quick movie or a demo 'moviemaker' is a boon. I understand that in Windows 7 you have to purchase a cut down version of  Moviemaker as an extra?

Horses for courses as everyone has their own requirements from a computer, but for me Vista does the job.*

*SWMBO has Windows 7 on her Netbook and curses it when it keeps going wrong . 'Why doesn't my PC (sic) work the same as yours does?' is her constant cry... and I agree that I can't bond with '7' either. 

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

EtchedPixels

Windows 7 on a netbook is not a pleasant experience, especially on the usual 1GB configurations. Thankfully its something I very rarely have to argue with and my netbooks all run Linux. The downside is that making some of them work nicely in Linux is part of my job so instead of me moaning about it people moan at me !

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations