Avast Clean Up Premium

Started by Newportnobby, July 28, 2020, 09:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

......is being offered at £19.99 rather than £49.99 at the moment and states it will 'remove piles of junk files' as part of its M.O.
Does this mean files I may want to keep will vanish for ever or does this system give me a choice as to what gets deleted?
:helpneededsign:

Bealman

Is there so much stuff on your computer that it's a problem?

My phone allows me to clear junk, but I still haven't used up all the memory of my ten year old laptop  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on July 28, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
Is there so much stuff on your computer that it's a problem?

My laptop is 3rd hand so there's probably quite a bit of junk needing pruning but I don't know enough about what affects what :dunce:

ntpntpntp

@Newportnobby    I suggest you read up on and satisfy yourself as to what the software will do for you?

https://support.avast.com/en-ae/article/Cleanup-Premium-FAQ

I get the impression it's for cleaning up the system registry and junk files from downloads and caches, not for cleaning up files in your documents folder.

Backing up and archiving your documents and photos etc. is really down to you.  There probably are products out there which might help, maybe presenting files with "last used" dates older than a given criteria etc.,? To be honest the best approach is to be tidy with the folder hierarchy where you keep all the files you create, and make sure you do back up to another device on a regular basis.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Same with me, but I reckon if it works, don't fix it.

I have tried various "cleaning" things over the years, and they do unknown stuff which I have I have no idea what.

My attitude is if I'm not getting any messages saying no memory, I just crash on.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

I'm OK with what I have created but am not sure what the other 2 have done.
All relevant/important files are backed up so I don't have any concerns there.
Windows (C) has 13.4GB left of 140GB and Data 140GB left of 148GB

njee20

Are you trying to address a particular system issue?

I really wouldn't concern yourself if it's all working fine. Save your £20. It's not really about freeing up hard disk space, so much as deleting dodgy registry entries, spyware, or leftover files (as in system files, not documents) from partial uninstalls etc.

Trainfish

If it's disk capacity you're concerned about I use Treesize. The first time I used it I managed to clear about 70% of the disk which was occupied by Windows backups  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest8885

dont pay for a program there are good ones out there for free
ccleaner is always a good start. privacy eraser is very good
and 0&Oshutupwin10 will open your eyes.

i use bulk crap cleaner from time to time, you may have apps you dont know about and dont use.
they are called pups probably unwanted programs. its  a really good freebee BCU
if you do go for avast you will get some for sure unless you watch what is ticked before you press next

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations