Anti virus software

Started by TrevL, May 31, 2018, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: TrevL on March 22, 2021, 03:47:01 PM
In my experience, neither.  BitDefender every time for me.

Need to be careful of that one if using any work VPN systems - can be difficult to get it not to block them.

As regards Norton, it used to be nororious for hogging resources. Not sure whether it's any better these days.

emjaybee

Before we get into the age old 'my xxx is better than your xxx', I would suggest any of the top companies; Norton, BitDefender, McAfee, Kaspersky, and pay for it. If it's free, it ain't gonna be that great.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

Quote from: davidinyork on March 22, 2021, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: TrevL on March 22, 2021, 03:47:01 PM
In my experience, neither.  BitDefender every time for me.

Need to be careful of that one if using any work VPN systems - can be difficult to get it not to block them.

As regards Norton, it used to be nororious for hogging resources. Not sure whether it's any better these days.

I have Norton running on a desk top and laptop, both full packages, doesn't effect resources at all. Been using it for 15 yes on a auto-renewing licence, so never out of date, always updating.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

joe cassidy

Thanks a lot everyone for your speedy replies/advice.

Best regards,

Joe

guest311

when I told Virgin to 'go away' I got rid of their antivirus, F-secure, though I'd be more inclined to call it something else.
since they tried to sort things out, I can no longer open photos, my fault for letting some idiot take control of my computer by remote access.

then I went to AVG, recommended by a relative who had their free service, but I ended up paying for them, and receiving notification after notification of this, that, and the other that needed me to pay for yet more of their services.......

those who know me will be able to guess my response !

never, never had any problems with Plusnet security, may well look to go back there when time to renew, AND THEY SPEAK ENGLISH, though they do tend to start every conversation with "ey up lad, how's tha doing ...." :D

njee20

Just use Windows Defender.  :-\

Papyrus

I'm pretty iggerent about such matters, so I won't go into A is better than B, except to say I have been informed that Kaspersky originates from Russia, and one should be wary on that account. Others may have better information on this than me, so I would be happy to be corrected.

Cheers,

Chris

Yet_Another

Quote from: Papyrus on March 22, 2021, 05:30:27 PM
I'm pretty iggerent about such matters, so I won't go into A is better than B, except to say I have been informed that Kaspersky originates from Russia, and one should be wary on that account. Others may have better information on this than me, so I would be happy to be corrected.

Cheers,

Chris
I remember this accusation from a few years back, this article deals with it:  https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/should-you-buy-kaspersky-security-products

It has to be said that if the Russian, Chinese, American, or even British government actually want your data, they will get it.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

I pay for Avast and though it's good it keeps sending me pop ups telling me of things that should worry me. Of course, when you click on 'Fix' it inevitably asks for even more money ::)

guest311

the same thing as AVG does  :'(

keithfre

I've been a Webroot subscriber for several years now and found it trouble-free.

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2021, 04:39:06 PM
Just use Windows Defender.  :-\
Yes. Defender is pretty good these days. I also run the paid version of Malwarebytes which you only pay for once for life.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

I use Norton Internet Security. Have done for many years. Their VPN is good and the Password Manager is handy. I also run Malwarebytes which I paid for once. Both these products cover my laptop as well as my desktop.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Fardap

I used to use Mcafee for many years and then it started to do as mentioned and want money for this that and the other. I now pay for Kaspersky (Total Security version now) and have done for at least 12-15 years it has not been an issue and does exactly what I want it to with all the bells and whistles. It has a great password manager and led to me securing all my online accounts more effectively than with a couple of passwords that I could remember.

Integrates with multiple devices (up to 5 I think) so also on my phone and laptop.

This is one of those posts that might benefit from a poll though just as a point of interest to see who uses what, who pays for protection and who relies on 'free' applications or the inbuilt operating system ones?

geoffc

I run Bitdefender, according to their web site this is the last year they will be supporting Win 7 and they only support androd 5 and above, so my tablet is no longer protected. As I shall be keepng Win 7 as I have 3 computers running it I will be looking for a new anti virus program.

Geoff

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations