New laptop needed- must run Windows!

Started by Oldman, January 08, 2015, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Starting to get confused with the latest offerings on the Laptop front. Everything new seems to run Windows 8.1, I am used to XP .I have certain software that is XP based, which is why I want advice please.
The  laptop must have USB, for interface cables to read certain sensors, also it must work with my HP printer which I know works with Windows 7
The reason I want to buy new is the faster speeds, Bigger HDD,
better screen and an operating system that will last for a good few years yet.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

austinbob

Not sure about Windows 8.1 without a touch screen. I've heard the desktop operation without a touch screen is a bit clunky.
I would do a few Google searches!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Oldman

What I am considering is one of the convertable laptops with a touch screen and detachable keyboard.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

NeMo

I run Windows XP via Parallels perfectly well on my MacBook Pro. Do that mainly to play some old computer games like Caesar III!

Is running a virtual machine an option for you? Definitely works, and works well. Opens up the possibility of getting a recent laptop and then running whatever operating systems you want. I believe you can get virtual machines for Windows laptops not just Mac ones, but I don't know much about them.

Your budget will presumably be a limiting factor. More often than not, the cheaper laptops tend to have a more limited future (being limited in terms of graphics card and processor speed, for example, even where RAM and hard drive can be upgraded).

You may want to review Windows XP security issues as well. It isn't supported by Microsoft any more so as time passes it will become increasingly risky in terms of viruses, etc. Since I use a virtual machine for my XP games, it's hardly an issue. Any malware might be annoying on the virtual machine but can't get into my Mac and do any serious harm. But if you're actually running XP all the time, and using it for Internet browsing for example (I don't) then you will have to really stay on top of antivirus software and so on.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

austinbob

Quote from: Oldman on January 08, 2015, 09:03:53 PM
What I am considering is one of the convertable laptops with a touch screen and detachable keyboard.

You'll find the touch screen operation very different to XP but it does all the same things and more. You just need to learn how to use 8.1. because its different, but not difficult. I bought a Windows 8 phone last year and now I've got used it I find the operating system very intuitive and easy to use. Still using Windows 7 on my desktops and will not change until I buy a new PC.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Oldman

Thanks Bob, I have to admit I am used to android touchscreens on both phones and tablets currently running 4.42 on my phone and 4.2.2 on the tablet.

austinbob

Quote from: Oldman on January 08, 2015, 09:24:57 PM
Thanks Bob, I have to admit I am used to android touchscreens on both phones and tablets currently running 4.42 on my phone and 4.2.2 on the tablet.
I don't think you'll have a problem then.

Its such a shame that once you get used to using a system - everything changes all of a sudden. Not always for the better.

Bob Austin

ngauger

I have the misfortune to work in IT, and you can visibly see people groan when we are forced to upgrade to a newer O/S!
Human beings like their comfort zones, they love familiarity.  The problem comes when the emmerging technology and hardware outgrows an operating system, which is why, ultimately it is best to move forward, however painful.

It's true to say, Win 8 is not my favourite O/S, purely from a tech's perspective, it seems harder to do 'tech' stuff, but looks-wise, functionality, & connectivity, i think it wins over 7. 

As other folk have mentioned there are many ways in IT to achieve the same end, with accompanying price tags!  I prrsonally (at home that is) use Mac's of varying flavours, and 'dual boot' both OSX & Win 7.  This way, you get two pc's/laptop's for the price of one, more or less.
On mine, Windows does the mundane stuff that only works on Windows, whilst OSX does all the fun stuff!
Making cool videos and pro DVD disks is an absolute doddle on a Mac, but i must say, dissapointing on Windows, and prone to crashes.

Moral of this deranged rambling, buy a Mac!
Disclaimer:  they ain't cheap!

Btw, i forgot to mention, of course many programs designed for XP/98 will run on 7/8 in 'compatibility mode'.
LNWR & Midland Railway Company

PLD

You will struggle to get anything off the shelf running anything other than a version of win8... If you want something else, you will have the best chance of getting what you want either from a local independent who custom builds, or one of the big players such as Dell or Acer who allow a degree of customisation.

Both my personal and work laptops are Dells, and more than happy with both, plus the added bonus that if something does go wrong, their call centre is in Dublin, not Delhi!

I would recommend moving away from winXP now, and personally my preference is win7 - tried win8 but couldn't get on with it. It's a decent interface for phones and tablets, but really doesn't suit desktops...

talisman56

If you don't want Windows 8.x then you can still get laptops with Windows 7 Pro from Novatech - I've linked to the entry-level machine here but they do have a great range of laptops for all uses.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1597.html

The base price is for no O/S but the drop-down box top right gives the options for supply with an installed O/S (and Office, if required). No connection with Novatech apart from being a satisfied customer.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Geoff

I use Windows 8 on 2 laptops, I think it is great and I have never had a problem with the operating system, yes it is a different program what you are used to but you can make it work like your old windows by telling it to boot into desktop mode, also there are free start buttons so you can run Windows 8 like XP or 7, I bought Windows 8 when it was offered for £25 and what a bargain and I have never looked back.

Be prepared for a change but the speed over XP and 7 is faster, good luck with your purchase and do not be put off Windows 8 by people who do not like change.
Geoff

austinbob

Bob Austin

Paddy

Quote from: Oldman on January 08, 2015, 08:41:19 PM
Starting to get confused with the latest offerings on the Laptop front. Everything new seems to run Windows 8.1, I am used to XP .I have certain software that is XP based, which is why I want advice please.
The  laptop must have USB, for interface cables to read certain sensors, also it must work with my HP printer which I know works with Windows 7
The reason I want to buy new is the faster speeds, Bigger HDD,
better screen and an operating system that will last for a good few years yet.

Hi Oldman,

If you are used to XP then Windows 8.1 will feel rather strange.  My daughter's laptop runs 8.1 and even she is not a fan despite being part of the "new generation".  Windows 8.1 definately has an unfinished feel to it with a number of options moved and/or duplicated which makes it confusing to use (even for long term Windows users like myself).  Also, you will have to get used to the "flat" GUI that Microsoft, Apple and Android are all following these days.  Personally I hate the flat UI as it feels like we are going back 30 years but fashion has a way of going in circles.

So if you definaltly want a Windows laptop then you choice would seem to be either buying a Windows 7 or waiting until the release of Windows 10 later in 2015.  One would hope that Microsoft will address the concerns of Windows users in their new version but only time will tell.  Certainly Windows 10 will be more polished and tailor itself better to the platform it is running upon i.e. laptop vs. tablet.

I believe it was Steve Jobs who said that tablets are for touch and computers should use keyboards/mice.  From my own personal experience I would have to agree with this.  The idea of touching the screen of my laptop disgusts me and I would be forever cleaning it!  So what I am saying is that for me the "one size fits all" approach does not work but each to their own.

My own laptop is a Lenovo and I can highly recommend them.  The keyboard is fantastic and is better than a lot of desktop units.  I chose an Intel CORE i3 processor and upgraded the memory to 8GB (do this yourself if you feel comfortable as it is much cheaper than buying from the manufacturer).  My disk size if 300GB of which I have used about a quarter as the rest of my storage is in the cloud - I use Microsoft OneDrive but other brands of cloud storage are available!  :D  By current standards the above is not a high spec but I can honestly say that the machine performs everything I need very well i.e. email, browsing, offic apps etc.  Unless you intend to undertake some heavy duty multi-media work and/or development then something similar will probably suffice.

Also Windows can run other versions of Windows virtually so you could have a Windows 8.1 machine that runs a copy of XP or Windows 7 virtually when required.

One area to think about it screen size/resolution.  A lot of Windows PCs do not have high resoultion screens (retina displays) and if you do aim for this then the cost goes up considerably.  Mollie (my daughter) also has a MacBook Pro with retina display and it is gorgeous but you are looking at around £1,000 vs. £3-500 for a decent Windows laptop.  So again, for my own laptop I went for ultimate portability with a 12" screen (1366 x 768) and an external monitor for when I need a bigger/high resolution screen.  You could even plug the laptop in to your HD TV via HDMI.

I hope the above gives you some ideas and I am happy to answer any additional questions you may have.  Totally accept that these are my views and that others will have alternative approaches.

Kind regards

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

GroupC

Hi Oldman

Like Paddy, I've also got a Lenovo and it's one of the best things I ever bought. The keyboard's lovely and very tactile. Mine has a 17" screen (needed cos I use Photoshop a lot and this is much easier when you can see more of each image), 1 tb hard drive, 2.4 Ghz dual core processor and 6GB RAM. It runs Win 8.1, as they all do now I would think.

It's the first upgrade I've had from my desktop PC from about 2000 which ran XP. As a result, it was like a quantum leap forward in terms of speed and everything else when I got it earlier this year. It was easy to set up out of the box and everything I had for XP runs fine on it apart from a few minor Photoshop glitches - but I'm not about to spend several hundred quid to upgrade software that does everything I want already.

8.1 is OK but I never use the "8.1" side of it - I always use the standard "old" windows desktop side, which I think they added as an upgrade from win 8.0 as everyone complained that the new way of working was awful and just didn't work on non-touchscreen hardware. 8.1 just annoys me and for me it really doesn't suit non-touchscreen things - I work with a mouse and/or the pad and never touch my screen (would be left with muck all over the screen, which I'd always be thinking was dust/noise on my photos which I'd need to photoshop out!).

Everything I did before on XP is still there on 8.1, and some of the "new" (i.e. duplicated) features are better, in my opinion, on the conventional "old" desktop side. As a result, although I theoretically use 8.1 I'd never know I it as it looks exactly the same as my XP desktop.

Hope this helps.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations