can I get rid of windows 8

Started by guest311, September 29, 2014, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

treated myself to a new laptop, as the old one was getting a bit slow, and also physically a bit tatty.

new came with windows 8. tried it. HATE IT  >:(

I have found in the restore section that I can delete my files, but leave the operating system intact, or recycle my laptop which clears the whole drive.

I'm more than happy with windows 7 which is on the old laptop, so could I recycle the new one, then load windows 7 onto it from the old laptop ?

if I can, am I right in thinking that I copy my hard drive onto an external hard drive, and then use that to install onto the new laptop ?

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a dinosaur, but I like what I know and am comfortable with, and that is NOT windows 8.

cheers

alan

Tdm

If it's just the "Apps" screens & functionality you don't like, you can tell it to boot up straight to your desktop which appears just the same as it did in Windows 7.  I am running Windows 8.1 , but running it as though it was Windows 7.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: class37025 on September 29, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
treated myself to a new laptop, as the old one was getting a bit slow, and also physically a bit tatty.

new came with windows 8. tried it. HATE IT  >:(

I have found in the restore section that I can delete my files, but leave the operating system intact, or recycle my laptop which clears the whole drive.

I'm more than happy with windows 7 which is on the old laptop, so could I recycle the new one, then load windows 7 onto it from the old laptop ?

if I can, am I right in thinking that I copy my hard drive onto an external hard drive, and then use that to install onto the new laptop ?

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a dinosaur, but I like what I know and am comfortable with, and that is NOT windows 8.

cheers

alan

Hi

You will need your original Windows 7 disc to re install the operating system. It will not work by simply copying it over as the hardware will be completely different.

I also have a new Laptop with Windows 8 on but I have actually found it just as easy to use as 7. Download the classic start menu from here www.ninite.com and you will then get back the familiar menu. Mine also came with a program to boot straight to the desktop instead of the start screen.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

guest311

thank you both, I'll give that a try this evening.

needless to say, no windows 7 disc, as came installed on the old laptop.

last disc I remember was back when I had XP Pro.

cheers

alan

DCCDave

Quote from: class37025 on September 29, 2014, 05:15:09 PM
thank you both, I'll give that a try this evening.

needless to say, no windows 7 disc, as came installed on the old laptop.

last disc I remember was back when I had XP Pro.

cheers

alan

If it came installed on the old laptop then you are not licensed to use that copyu on any other machine. I't;'s called an OEM license and it is tied to the machine you bought it with.

When you buy copy of Windows you are licensed to run an earlier version instead. Get onto Microsoft and tell them that you which to buy media to revert to Windows 7. They will charge you a nominal fee for P&P.

Cheers
Dave

guest311

Hi Dave,

so I would be actually running windows 7, rather than windows 8 looking like 7 ?

cheers for that, I'll get onto them and try that.

cheers

alan

DCCDave

Quote from: class37025 on September 29, 2014, 07:45:43 PM
Hi Dave,

so I would be actually running windows 7, rather than windows 8 looking like 7 ?

cheers for that, I'll get onto them and try that.

cheers

alan

It dawned on me that P&P is probably no longer relevant as they probably don't provide a CD these days :) Indeed a little googling shows that the process has changed now...

Take a look at this, which is relevant if you have an OEM license (that is Windows came pre-installed on your laptop)

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=2mfWfEwnVJt

Cheers
Dave

guest311

Hi Dave,

just had a 'chat' with Microsoft, who told me I would need to buy a licence for windows 7, together with the disc, and then install it on the new machine. they said they no longer sell windows 7 and suggested amazon.

I'll check the link you kindly supplied and se how that goes.

many thanks

alan

guest311

:hmmm: :dunce:

so it looks as though I get a laptop with windows 8 installed, which is the OEM - got that

then I need a copy of windows 7 and its licence - not got that

then install 7 as well as 8, and the laptop effectively has both on, but runs 7, with 8 available for later use if required ?

have I got it right  :confused1:

DCCDave

Looks like it depends on the version of Windows you have and the rights associated with that. In any case it looks like you need to approach the manufacturer of your machine rather than Microsoft. This used to be quite simple, seems the license has been 'improved' since I last looked.

Cheers
Dave

guest311

its a Compaq, so I'll get in touch with HP tomorrow and see what they say, and if they can help.

thank you for your help, and I'll update this after I've spoken to them.

cheers

alan

Bob Tidbury

What with windows 8  and Ios8 I thought 666 was the Devils number not 8
I think I'll go back to talking writing and an Abucus it's easier.
Bob

DCCDave

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on September 29, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
Bob

Crayons - they're so much simpler  :)

Cheers
Dave

guest311

Quote from: DCCDave on September 29, 2014, 08:41:05 PM
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on September 29, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
Bob

Crayons - they're so much simpler  :)

Cheers
Dave

and not so sharp  :smiley-laughing:

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations