Linux Operating Systems.

Started by longbridge, September 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Just wondering if any forum members other than myself are using a Linux operating system?.

I have been using Linux Mint for over three years and never had a virus or any net nasties.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

findus

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM
Just wondering if any forum members other than myself are using a Linux operating system?.

I have been using Linux Mint for over three years and never had a virus or any net nasties.

I use ubuntu and the same as you never had a problem! at the start playing around with wine was like banging my head against a brick wall but now i understand it better its easy.

im really thinking about putting it onto my main pc. the only thing stopping me is my iphone not being able to sync  :thumbsdown:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM

I used to work for Red Hat....

My TV runs Linux, my PC's run Linux, my phone runs Linux (Android). Don't yet have any DCC decoder chips powerful enough to run Linux on but you'd get a small Linux server into some of the emptier OO locos I think which might be a good laugh 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Lawrence

Our works pc's are a combination of XP and Red Hat, one problem I haven't managed to sort properly yet is, occasionally on a couple of  machines, the mouse freezes in desktop and I cant do anything, I end up doing a Ctrl-Alt-F1 , logging in and doing a shutdown -h now to recover it, is there any easier way?

longbridge

Nice to see others on the forum using Linux, Lawrence I cant help you with Red Hat as that is one of the few OS I have not tried.

I started off with Ubuntu in 2007 and tried all of the popular Linux  OS but finally settled on the more refined version of Ubuntu which is Linux Mint, have been with Mint since version 6 and have tried the latest No11 but went back to No9 as it works best on my computer.

Cant imagine ever going back to Windows.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

kirky

I've just built three ubuntu machines for school, using old pcs which would otherwise sit in a cupboard for a couple of  years before heading off to landfill.
Theyre used for Internet browsing only, although one can play DVDs. I am trying to fit wireless receiver cards into them but not had much success yet. Any ideas anyone?
(I also have an ECoS which I believe operates on top of Linux)
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

longbridge

Hi there Kirky, I just Googled "Wireless cards for Linux Ubuntu" and there seems to be quite a lot of information out there, hope you find what you are looking for.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

kirky

Hi ORB
Yes, I realised after posting that I should probably do a google search for ubuntu wireless cards. So I did just that, and am now awaiting a wireless usb dongle to wing its way here from China (fingers crossed). Hopefully should be ok, it was less than a tenner including postage.

Cheers
K
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

longbridge

One of the nice things about Linux is the amount of help there is out there also plenty of video tutorials on Youtube :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

tim-pelican

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 22, 2011, 11:10:18 PM
I used to work for Red Hat....

Bumping an old thread, I know, but... wow, you're *that* Alan.  Respect for "ac" kernels is due.

Back on topic, Linux on my servers, OS X on my desktop.  I'm just a sucker for the Apple shinies...

longbridge

Just updated the pC with the latest Linux Mint 12 RC, stunning stuff and what great news it is for the Mint gang to hit the front over Ubuntu :thumbsup: now the 3rd most popular OS out there.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

red_death

My "main" computer is an Asus Eee which I bought partly to play with Linux (even if it is a relatively dated version of Xandros).

I have tinkered a lot with it and love it, though I am currently wrestling with trying to get JMRI to run on it.  I foolishly followed some instruction I found on the JMRI site which only seem to work on older versions of JMRI.  Now I have to work out what I need to remove to get 2.12 to run correctly...doh!

Cheers, Mike

longbridge

Quote from: red_death on November 18, 2011, 01:46:18 PM
My "main" computer is an Asus Eee which I bought partly to play with Linux (even if it is a relatively dated version of Xandros).

I have tinkered a lot with it and love it, though I am currently wrestling with trying to get JMRI to run on it.  I foolishly followed some instruction I found on the JMRI site which only seem to work on older versions of JMRI.  Now I have to work out what I need to remove to get 2.12 to run correctly...doh!

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike, I had an Asus Eee notebook as well but didn't like the Xandros OS so loaded Easy Peasy onto it, didn't like it much either and finished up putting Mint 8 on it which worked very well.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: red_death on November 18, 2011, 01:46:18 PM

Cheers, Mike

Did it make you add a some magic serial driver bits ? If so those are the bits you need to get rid of with a current JMRI. I run a fairly current one happily with Fedora Icedtea (ie the open Java version bundled with it rather than the branded version) just fine.

I have a few dislikes about JMRI but at some point I am going to finish writing the kernel DCC control stack so you can mix and match arbitary control apps including custom scripts. Until then I shall manage !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

red_death

Dave - thanks.  I know what you mean about Xandros, problem is I have spent the last year or so customising it to be just what I want/need!  At times my lack of Linux knowledge leads me the wrong way, but I normally get there in the end. 

Alan - I followed the instructions here http://jmri.org/install/EeePC.shtml I think that it is the symbolic link to rxtx as I then found that newer versions of JMRI come with a different version of rxtx and the two may conflict.  I guess that I need to remove the symbolic link (will rm do it?), not sure if I will need to re-install JMRI.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations