Grrr! I hate compters

Started by N Gauge Bob, January 13, 2014, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 14, 2014, 08:53:43 AM
Thanks to all. A huge selection of things to try.
I should have pointed out that I defrag the computer once a week and I use C Cleaner after every session.
I think a virus is unlikely as I use AVG and have never had one to date.
I have a 500gig hard drive and have free space of 478gig!!!! so computer not overloaded with rubbish.

Regarding having an unwanted programme running in then background...how and where would I find this?

I'll try the hoover later today. I haven't done a physical clean for 6 months so it may well be a little dusty.

I'll report back, but again, thanks for all the excellent ideas and suggestions.

Cheers
Bob

Bob

If you open the Start menu and look for the "Run" command on the right.  This will open a little window.  Into this type "msconfig".  Click the "Startup" tab.  This will show a list of text and check boxes.  A tick indicates that at startup the PC starts these programs.  Some are useful and needed others are just hogging resources!

My general rule is that is under the "Command" column a program shows a path of "C:\Windows.."...etc I keep it ticked.  Everything else is fair game!  You will likely see printer software starting, your virus software and a lot of other stuff relating to programs you have installed.  Take it one or two items at a time and if you notice something missing after changing the startup programs it is easily reversed!

Dam fickle these PC's!
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

lionwing

Quote from: whiteswan on January 14, 2014, 09:00:21 AM
Be aware that AVG had a severe problem about 2 years ago and let a rather virulent virus through, can't remember what it was called but I know of a 2 people it effected and well screwed up their machines.  I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and never had a problem with it.

Like Whiteswan I don't like AVG.  It has become far to "heavy" and not very good.

I second the Microsoft Security Essentials.  A much lighter and compact package!
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Papyrus

I got rid of AVG too a couple of years ago. I now use "Advanced System Care" which is excellent. There is a free version, but the paid-for one is not exactly expensive and cleaned out the family laptops a treat.

Good luck!

Chris

dodger

Thanks to all. A huge selection of things to try.
I should have pointed out that I defrag the computer once a week and I use C Cleaner after every session.
I think a virus is unlikely as I use AVG and have never had one to date.
I have a 500gig hard drive and have free space of 478gig!!!! so computer not overloaded with rubbish.

Regarding having an unwanted programme running in then background...how and where would I find this?

I'll try the hoover later today. I haven't done a physical clean for 6 months so it may well be a little dusty.

I'll report back, but again, thanks for all the excellent ideas and suggestions.

Cheers
Bob

When your computor is running slowly check the hard drive status light. If it is on permanently it could indicate a computor fault.

Dodger

N Gauge Bob

Right...update

Took the computer apart and thoroughly hoovered it out...carefully and on low power as I normally do.
There was some dust generally and a fair bit in the microprocessor heat sink, but nothing more than usual.

Put it back together.
The old problem exists and now I have a new one..think I did something to the fan....it's running full speed all the time and ever so noisy...checked the connections are all OK and that I put it in correctly. Normally I get full power fan on start up and a slightly increased fan on downloading....now I can hardly hear myself think....never done this before.

I did manage to run several You Tube videos which I know are OK and they are all out of sync sound / picture, with jerky picture and sound breaks as well.

The boards are as follows:
Motherboard gigabyte GA-81915PMD
Sub board gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T and has D Type and S-video connections on the back of which I use only the D Type
These are as supplied with the machine but the extra board was replaced a couple of years back...can't remember why.

Computer set up is
Packard Bell running on XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3 and up to date on updates.
Intel Pentium 4  3.06ghz
Nvidia graphics which have never been used 'cos it was too hard for me to set up..I got very  :confused2:
500 gig hard drive
2 gig memory 3.06 ghz

Think I'm going to have to get a new computer but that won't happen now until next year...not in this years budget.

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Brooksy on January 14, 2014, 09:10:49 AM

One way is using CCleaner: in the Tools button on left hand side, one of the options is "Startup" - make sure that only the processes you want are starting up. This may not be able to pick out anything malicious though.

There was a load of stuff on there from long deleted progs, so I removed them.
Most indicate what they are and who they are from, but I have one called nwiz which is blank for origin..any thoughts?

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 14, 2014, 02:39:03 PM
The old problem exists and now I have a new one..think I did something to the fan....it's running full speed all the time and ever so noisy

The fan is driven by the system based upon the temperature sensors. If its running flat out all the time then something thinks there is a heat problem.

"Sub board gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T"

Thats an Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card with 256MB RAM

On most PC systems you can check the temperature sensor data in the BIOS settings. There are some windows apps for doing the same but I don't run Windows so I'm not sure what would be best to check.

The CPU in question (3GHz Pentium 4) is one of a generation of processors that are notoriously heat producing and over time you can get problems with the contact between the heatsink and cpu die (the heat cycling gradually forces the heatsink compound out of the join if you are unlucky)

That's fixable if so and very cheaply but you do need to know what you are doing when taking the relevant bits apart as they are easily damaged by static or by force in the wrong place. You also have to be certain you get no dirt in there.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

DCCDave

Quote from: Kipper on January 13, 2014, 11:59:34 PM
One cold and frosty morning, a woman emailed her husband - "Windows frozen"

He emailed back - "Pour warm water over it"

Five minutes later she emailed back - "Computer won't work at all, now".

Reminds me of when I worked technical support.

The foot peddle doesn't work? (the mouse)
Can I have my PC fitted with one f those cup holders? (CD)
The screen is upside down (monitor actually the wrong way up)

Seems some people just see a computer, freeze and throw common sense out of the window.

EtchedPixels

When you stop the computer by clicking the 'start' menu are you surprised.
Common sense ??
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 14, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
The old problem exists and now I have a new one..think I did something to the fan....it's running full speed all the time and ever so noisy

The fan is driven by the system based upon the temperature sensors. If its running flat out all the time then something thinks there is a heat problem.

On most PC systems you can check the temperature sensor data in the BIOS settings. There are some windows apps for doing the same but I don't run Windows so I'm not sure what would be best to check.

The CPU in question (3GHz Pentium 4) is one of a generation of processors that are notoriously heat producing and over time you can get problems with the contact between the heatsink and cpu die (the heat cycling gradually forces the heatsink compound out of the join if you are unlucky)

That's fixable if so and very cheaply but you do need to know what you are doing when taking the relevant bits apart as they are easily damaged by static or by force in the wrong place. You also have to be certain you get no dirt in there.

Hi Alan
Yes familiar with the heat sink, etc as took apart to clean it...no, there is NO heatsink compound between the heatsink base and the top of the chip so that might be the problem. I'll pop to Maplins or similar tomorrow and get some tomorrow
Thanks Alan
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

dodger

I seem to have improved my computor by disabling automatic updates for Adobe Acrobat.

dodger

Adam1701D

I second the use of MSCONFIG to check what programs are launching from startup. If you've never done this on your PC, you're in for a shock! :goggleeyes:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

dodger

Quote from: captainelectra on January 15, 2014, 07:42:26 PM
I second the use of MSCONFIG to check what programs are launching from startup. If you've never done this on your PC, you're in for a shock! :goggleeyes:

Thats how I improved mine. A couple of programs  had been starting up for years. Now I know how to stop them.

dodger

DCCDave

Quote from: whiteswan on January 14, 2014, 09:00:21 AM
Be aware that AVG had a severe problem about 2 years ago and let a rather virulent virus through, can't remember what it was called but I know of a 2 people it effected and well screwed up their machines.  I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and never had a problem with it.

As part of my job I run extensive tests on various Anti-Virus packages. This involves deliberately installing viruses on PCs and looking at what gets detected by different packages.

In my opinion ESET produce the best workstation anti-virus bar non, but it is quite expensive. The common ones (which tend to be pre-installed on machines when you buy them) are not worth the disk-space they take up. If you can't afford ESET then I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It out-performs Norton, MacAfee, AVG and Panda and is totally free.

Before you all deluge me with 'I've used product 'xyz' for years without a problem, ponder this question:

If your anti-virus can't detect and protect you from a given virus, how would you know that you don't have it. Lack of a virus detection is not proof that you don't have that virus!

Cheers
Dave

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 14, 2014, 03:27:58 PM

I got the thermal compound today...£7 for a small syringe and indeed following application, the computer has returned to its normal quiet self....praise be to the suggestion from your goodself  :admiration:

I have also ordered a complete board and Nvidia card because I found some reconditioned ones at a snip.

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%