Your Ideas....

Started by NGF Staff, November 21, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonclox

Today we have se a member ask for some jokes becaus he is feeling off colour.
Several forums I belong to have a section seperate from all serious threads etc that is specifically for 'Off forum comments/jokes/grumbles etc'
Would it be possible for one to be set up here for 'light hearted relief subjects'
It could be called the  'The Fire Dump' or similar.

(PS I dont do humour im toooooooooooooooo much of a Gom for things like that  :angel: so shant be adding to it  [I also tell porkies at times ;) ] )
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Tank

Sure, why not. :thumbsup:  I'm a regular reader of Sickipedia, so I'll refrain from jokes on there.   :o ;D

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2011, 06:33:55 PM
Sure, why not. :thumbsup:  I'm a regular reader of Sickipedia, so I'll refrain from jokes on there.   :o ;D

Does it make you a bad person if you learn about current affairs from there?  ;D

Tank

;D  Sometimes it's quicker than the BBC!

findus

Could we have a section where we can rate peoples posts?

and give each other reputation points?  for funny or really good replys/posts ?

Tank

I have a setting on here called Karma.  But I'm not sure if everyone would be happy with it. :-\

Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated. You can change the number of posts needed to have a "karma", the time between smites or applauds, and if administrators have to wait this time as well.

Whether or not groups of members can smite others is controlled by a permission. If you have trouble getting this feature to work for everyone, double check your permissions.

zwilnik

Yeah, that sounds like a great way to end up with a smiting war going on :) and "Who the **** just smote my karma, I had a perfect 5 until now!" type arguments.

Let's just go on the assumption that we all think everyone here is great ;)

steamerdave

Zwilnik

I could not agree with you more mate, a bad idea going down that road, lets keep this a friendly place

Dave

Truffles

Hi

I am new round these parts so apologies if it has already been mooted but I think you could do with a 'Products' section in the main index. Sub catagories could then perhaps be something like:

Farish
Dapol
Ixion
smaller suppliers
Peco
Non Uk

The above section would help clean up the forum a bit as there do seem to be allot of posts scattered around which are difficult to find if you havn't originally noted the section that they are in.

regards

Dan

findus

Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2011, 08:17:08 PM
I have a setting on here called Karma.  But I'm not sure if everyone would be happy with it. :-\

Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated. You can change the number of posts needed to have a "karma", the time between smites or applauds, and if administrators have to wait this time as well.

Whether or not groups of members can smite others is controlled by a permission. If you have trouble getting this feature to work for everyone, double check your permissions.

Yeah that would not work to well.. on the bike forum i go to there is a rate this post, nobody knows who did it or why but seems to work well if you got no votes you start to post more and try and improve yourself.. but never nothing negitive can be left as the function is not there...

Lawrence

Hi Truffles, welcome aboard, we do have something similar at the mo

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=21.0

and

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=1.0

and as time and server space allows the forum will develop, hopefully, into a great resource for N gauge modellers

OwL

Quote from: findus on March 31, 2011, 09:09:07 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2011, 08:17:08 PM
I have a setting on here called Karma.  But I'm not sure if everyone would be happy with it. :-\

Yeah that would not work to well.. on the bike forum i go to there is a rate this post, nobody knows who did it or why but seems to work well if you got no votes you start to post more and try and improve yourself.. but never nothing negitive can be left as the function is not there...

Hi Guys,

I Think this would be a bad idea. Members should not be voted on by their popularity. That's a bit like getting picked for football at school, there is always gonna be one member who has so much to offer but gets 'left in goal', just based on appearance of their posts.

I love this site because we are all mates and we feel encouraged to post no matter what the subject, (held together by an N Gauge theme) regardless of age/experience.

Being voted on would discourage the shy-er members from posting. We should always remain neutral but fair. Any members posting threads that are bad/nasty/dis-tasteful should be warned, good threads encouraged, informative threads developed, boring threads judged in amount of replies by members and bonkers/silly/irrevelant(but non-bad/nasty/dis-tasteful) threads ignored.

This aint a popularity contest just a place for mates to talk about their hobby and lives.... NGF NOT X-Factor!!

Thank You

OwL

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Mustermark

Nicely put Owl. I'd be the one in goal. I like that it's just fun and interesting.

I wouldn't mind the positive thing of giving someone a nice feedback for a really good post. But we all do that with the thumbsup icon anyway.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Tank

OK, all agreed to bin that idea then. :thumbsup:  Phew, less work to do.  :smiley-laughing:

findus

Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2011, 10:14:46 PM
OK, all agreed to bin that idea then. :thumbsup:  Phew, less work to do.  :smiley-laughing:

I only said it to make you work harder!!  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations