Forum column widths?

Started by Sprintex, March 13, 2013, 07:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Has anything changed in the last week or so with regard to the forum layout, especially the left column in threads that contains the poster's username and details?

Reason I ask is I am finding in certain threads that the centre column containing the text/pictures/etc has been squashed meaning I have to keep scrolling left and right to read each sentence :worried: Now I know I use an old non-widescreen laptop, but the same is also happening on the Blackberry where it never used to so it's not my computer? Even my signature pic doesn't fit where there was no problem before?

Paul

scotsoft

Hi Paul,

Everything is hunkydory on my screen including your signature  ???

Could you have accidently changed your screen resolution by mistake?

Unsure why your Blackberry should be affected as well though, it does sound a bit strange.
I did see Pengy was online earlier and she has not reported anything amis in the mods section.

Try my favourite solution for things like this reboot both machines  ;)

cheers John.

Sprintex

Thanks for the reply John :)

Both the laptop and phone get turned off at night, so effectively reboot every day. This problem has been happening for at least a week so that's 5 or 6 reboots. It's as if the left column (usernames and details) and right column (forum advertisers) are fixed width and the central area (thread text) is expand-to-fit, but the left column width has been widened meaning the central area now doesn't fit and results in a scrollbar?

It doesn't affect all threads either, maybe because text automatically wraps around? Threads with pictures result in a left-right scrollbar though :confused2:

Paul

scotsoft

This is what I am seeing Paul, I do have a widescreen monitor which will probably make a difference.

cheers John.

Sprintex

Can't take a screenshot at the moment as I'm not at home, but it does confirm what I thought about the central text area expanding to fit the screen size ;) Even viewing this thread now the right-hand Power Car on my signature pic is cut in half!

Left column definitely looks like it's been widened :hmmm:

Paul

swisstony

I too get this, but only on my Iphone, it's perfectly ok at work on Firefox and home on IE.

daveg

No problem here. I have the same as John's sample screen shot.

Most odd.

I do however get a message saying that I've attempted a second post (from my IP) in the last 5 seconds, which can't be true as I'm not able to type that fast altho I can make several posts per visit to the forum.

Hitting the back button I then attempt to post the message (more than 5 seconds later) to be told it's already been posted, but it hasn't!

This has only started happening over the last few days and not every time.

Dave G

Tank

There was some work that went on to sort out the main text area, as sometimes it 'broke' and was very wide (usually when eBay links were posted).  Maybe this has something to do with it?

If you can post what browser you use that it's broken in please, and possibly a screen shot.  Thanks!

scotsoft

Quote from: daveg on March 13, 2013, 09:42:02 AM
I do however get a message saying that I've attempted a second post (from my IP) in the last 5 seconds, which can't be true as I'm not able to type that fast altho I can make several posts per visit to the forum.

Dave G

I have had that message once a couple of days ago but I just put it down to a glitch  :doh:

cheers John.

Sprintex

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2013, 09:46:46 AM
There was some work that went on to sort out the main text area, as sometimes it 'broke' and was very wide (usually when eBay links were posted).  Maybe this has something to do with it?

If you can post what browser you use that it's broken in please, and possibly a screen shot.  Thanks!

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:

Will try to do so when I get home ;)

Paul

Sprintex

Here goes!

First a screenshot of the above post. Note the cut-off HST and the scrollbar underneath. That image is only 530 pixels wide.

And a screenshot taken from Geoff's layout thread to illustrate what happens with pictures. Scrollbar again, and the image is only 600x450.

Browser is IE8 :thumbsup:

Paul

Tank

Seems to be working fine from what I can see.  If the screen itself isn't wide enough then it will make the images scrollable.

Sprintex

Yes I realise that, my point was that the screen WAS wide enough until a week or two ago? ;)

Paul

daveg

So frustrating when a weird glitch appears.

I'm running IE9 and with a 17" WS laptop and it looks OK. Have you thought of moving to IE9 to see if that makes any diff?

I'm trying to think why it should occur on both your devices and odd that nobody else seems to have raised the issue. Have you tried viewing on another PC/laptop (e.g. at work or a mates) to see if the problem shows up there?

Tank, has the CSS been changed recently? I'm told that could possibly be a cause. Other than that, could a personal preference in settings have been inadvertantly changed that would cause the problem?

Dave G

MJKERR

Mine has always done that, but I only recently returned
Personally, I have never liked the layout and format of this layout, but that is a sacrafice I am willing to make for the community feeling and information available...

Part of the problem comes from the advert column on the far right hand side, as it remains in place even for long pages with many posts, and this appears to be new since I first used the website
Personally, these would be better in horizontal format between posts, or repositioned to the left

Equally, a long time ago I reported the main image does not have a place holder, and that is still the case
As a result the image jumps and moves until it has loaded

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations