Outside cranks.

Started by Moria, June 26, 2022, 09:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moria

How do people handle outside cranks for locos in a pre-grouping era?    I know there is the Grafar 08 chassis with 4'6" wheels,  so if appropriate they could be used with a different set of con rods for the wheelbase and they already have extended axles on them.

has anyone replaced, or even know if it's possible to change the wheels for other Grafar wheels for different chassis, or has anyone used other outside cranks, and if so, do these alternative cranks need an extended axle, or can the cranks be glued directly to the wheels that are the appropriate size?

For the tender locos, I'm happy to push the loco chassis from a motorised tender.

The 08 chassis wheels might be good for a buffalo pannier, but thinking about an armstrong goods which needs 5' wheels for which the 08 ones would be to small.

I'm even wondering if for the buffalo pannier, it may be possible to just merge the 08 wheels and axles into a pannier chassis and swap over the coupling rods, but not checked that yet.

I'm really just starting this adventure right now so any advice or experience would be useful, especially for things I may not have thought of yet.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

thebrighton

I have used the 08's outside cranks for a number of locos using both the 08's wheels and different size Farish wheels. However in each case I have moved the crank inwards by shortening the cranks shaft as otherwise they threaten passengers on platforms!
The way the 08's cranks work is by there being a recess in the wheel face they plug into. I can see no way of using them without extended axles even if using the original wheels. If no extended axle then you would need to find a glue that would securely attach the oily plastic Farish use to either the plastic or metal wheel hub and be up to handling moving the coupling rods.
I have also used etched cranks soldered on (my aging brain does not recall their source). I also have some 2mm SA cranks but as yet haven't used them.
If using the 08's drivers and having them powered remember the gear is offset to one side.

Moria

Quote from: thebrighton on June 26, 2022, 09:55:00 PM
I have used the 08's outside cranks for a number of locos using both the 08's wheels and different size Farish wheels. However in each case I have moved the crank inwards by shortening the cranks shaft as otherwise they threaten passengers on platforms!
The way the 08's cranks work is by there being a recess in the wheel face they plug into. I can see no way of using them without extended axles even if using the original wheels. If no extended axle then you would need to find a glue that would securely attach the oily plastic Farish use to either the plastic or metal wheel hub and be up to handling moving the coupling rods.
I have also used etched cranks soldered on (my aging brain does not recall their source). I also have some 2mm SA cranks but as yet haven't used them.
If using the 08's drivers and having them powered remember the gear is offset to one side.

That's awesome info thanks...

DO all farish wheels have the impressions (is it they fit between the spokes) to attach the cranks and if you are changing wheel size, is it just using a wheel puller to extract the old set and add the new set?

Regards

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

thebrighton

Afraid not, it is only the 08 that has the recess to fit the outside crank moulding into.
If changing wheels you will need to cut off the part that fits into the recess. Also some Garish wheels use different diameter axles. The 08 axles are also stepped to thinner where they go into the cranks.

Moria

Quote from: thebrighton on June 26, 2022, 10:48:03 PM
Afraid not, it is only the 08 that has the recess to fit the outside crank moulding into.
If changing wheels you will need to cut off the part that fits into the recess. Also some Garish wheels use different diameter axles. The 08 axles are also stepped to thinner where they go into the cranks.

Not surprised, but thank you :)

Graham

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations