Intermodal Wagons

Started by Paulwhitt20, July 07, 2018, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulwhitt20

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the best intermodal wagons.

I have a Dapol Spine car and after breaking the plastic frame where the middle link bar connects the two together and having to repair it I am unsure if I want to get any more the same as they seem too fragile for use if not kept permanently coupled on the layout. Are the Dapol megafrets metal and if so are they more robust? Do people tend to keep them permanently coupled or can you split them and pack them away in a stock box? What is the best way to couple them together and take them apart again without damaging them?

any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul

njee20

Megafrets are plastic, incredibly light, have tiny wheels, and use the same inter-wagon bar coupler. IMO they're about the most fussy wagons out there when it comes to poor trwckwork!

I've personally never a had a problem undoing the bar couplers, but I do leave them on the layout.

Farish's FIA Multifret pairs use a different style of coupler between the pairs - which has its own issues, but is certainly less fiddly than Dapols, if less secure.

nobby

personally i have used either continental inter modal wagons or the farish as these seem more robust at shows as you can take them apart easy , i also have some of the revolution trains single wagons on order and they will just slip in to some of the rakes ,
i have steered clear of the dapol types due to light weight  , i only have 1 set of the mega-freights bought really cheap and weathered and these have been weighted and containers added permanently.

kirky

I agree with njee20, the megafrets are a pain. Ive done some fettling on mine to allow the bogies to turn more freely.
I leave my megafrets and spines in pairs when I store them.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

njee20

They also have very little clearance around the body end steps, meaning they'll foul anything that protrudes above sleeper height! It's a shame, as they're a very useful model! I've just about got mine all running ok!

Someone makes them in 1:160 (Arnold?) I'd be interested to know what their ones are like, shame they're 1:160. I believe the Dapol OO gauge ones are metal too, which would help no end.

crewearpley40

njee20

As said, Farish do the FIA Multifret. They're only used by EWS/DBS though, so if you want something accurate for GBRF/Freightliner haulage they're not right. There a nice wagon though. Perfect for the Revolution 92!

They also do their container flat which is a bit like an FFA, but not really. They add variety in a mixed rake until we get C-Rail's KTA and Revolution's KFA. 

Ben A

Hello Paul,

Did you see the replies about this in your Freightliner 66 thread?   Basically, it's the same advice:

Quote from: Ben A on June 28, 2018, 01:01:48 PM
Both the FEAs and Megafrets are twins, and use the bar coupler that you dislike.

Farish do an intermodal twin wagon that depicts the FIA Multifret, but as far as I know these are only in use with DB, for intermodal, steel and automotive traffic.

However, the Farish model runs well in my experience, and has a slightly more user-friendly inner bar coupler arrangement.

I see your point about breaking the plastic frame of the Megafret; honestly they are fragile scale models and once connected it is generally better to keep them connected.  I store mine in card stock boxes that are long enough that I don't need to disconnect them when removing them from the layout.

Cheers

Ben A.

Paulwhitt20

Hi Ben,

Yes I saw your comments in the other thread. Now I have fixed the coupling bar on the one I broke I may try some more spine wagons. 

Otherwise I will investigate the Revolution offerings.

I also like the idea of cement wagons for the 66. My switching layout is a cement plant so I have some lafarge and PCA hoppers. 

Thanks

Paul.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations