I Don't See The Point

Started by dannyboy, July 04, 2022, 06:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have just been watching the BBC News regarding all the protests taking place on the UK roads by people driving their vehicles at 30 mph. The protests are supposedly about the high cost of petrol and diesel. I just do not see the point of people using petrol and diesel in their vehicles to protest about the cost - how much fuel did each driver use? It would have made more sense, (and be cheaper), if each person wrote a letter to their MP. Am I missing something here?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Southerngooner

I agree entirely. I totally support peoples right to strike, protest, etc but this does seem a bit like shooting yourself in the foot..

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

ntpntpntp

So.... most likely not in top gear if only doing 30, therefore not running the engine at it's most efficient use of fuel per mile thus wasting fuel and costing themselves more than if they proceeded at normal speed for the road.    Doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't win any hearts and minds either by holding up others who are just trying to make progress.

Stupid.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

The following is taken from todays edition of the Bradford 'Telegraph and Argus' -

Drivers on the M62 have avoided roadblock chaos seen in other areas of the country today as part of a protest against fuel prices.

Drivers gathered at Ferrybridge service station at 6am, with the intention of forming a rolling roadblock as part of a national protest understood to have been organised via social media under the banner Fuel Price Stand Against Tax...... The Telegraph & Argus understands that police have only allowed protesters onto the M62 individually or in small groups, using a stinger device to hold back the vehicles in a bid to minimise disruption...... "It
(West Yorkshire Police) must evaluate whether a protest would disproportionately affect the rights of others. If it is felt that the actions of a small number will negatively impact the rights of the wider public, then the force is required to intervene and protect the majority.

:thumbsup: :claphappy:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest10040

:hmmm:
so how do they know which drivers are actually trying to get somewhere, and which are going to drive at 30mph.

mind you, not a bad idea in some towns and villages, where the 30mph limit is tended by most to be a suggestion, rather than a law.

chrism

Quote from: dannyboy on July 04, 2022, 06:15:16 PM
I have just been watching the BBC News regarding all the protests taking place on the UK roads by people driving their vehicles at 30 mph. The protests are supposedly about the high cost of petrol and diesel. I just do not see the point of people using petrol and diesel in their vehicles to protest about the cost - how much fuel did each driver use? It would have made more sense, (and be cheaper), if each person wrote a letter to their MP. Am I missing something here?

Have you seen the price of stamps these days?

:smiley-laughing:

Steven B

I can help but thinking inconveniencing people who are inconvenienced by the thing you're protesting is the way forward.

Taking action against the Government for maintaining high tax rates, or the petrol stations for not passing on recent drops in wholesale fuel prices would be more productive.

I have to say though that fuel prices being high will make people think twice about using their cars meaning we go some way to making our land green and pleasant once again. Something does need to be done to minimise the effect of high fuel prices on the cost of goods and food though.

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 04, 2022, 06:26:58 PM
So.... most likely not in top gear if only doing 30, therefore not running the engine at it's most efficient use of fuel per mile thus wasting fuel and costing themselves more than if they proceeded at normal speed for the road.   

Being in top gear does not equal most fuel efficient. There's usually a RPM range that gives maximum fuel economy, say 3000rpm +/- 250. The gears should be used to stay in this range for a given speed even if that means driving at 30mph in third rather than changing up to fifth.

Steven B.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Steven B on July 05, 2022, 09:48:12 AM

Being in top gear does not equal most fuel efficient. There's usually a RPM range that gives maximum fuel economy, say 3000rpm +/- 250. The gears should be used to stay in this range for a given speed even if that means driving at 30mph in third rather than changing up to fifth.

Er... yes it does.  I'll get many more miles per gallon cruising along in top gear than in 3rd gear at the same engine revs.  I agree you need to keep the engine in its comfortable torque power band so it's not labouring or thrashing.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

guest10040

on the dash on the Volvo I can choose average mpg or instantaneous.

before I retired, the green council in Hove decided to make part of the town a 20mph area, including part of my route from work to home.
one morning I decided to see the difference, as it was supposed to be so great, and selected instantaneous before leaving work to drive up the road at the prescribed 20 mph, mpg was horrendous, but when I was able to change up on reaching the 30 mph are it became much better.

so much for the idea that 20mph areas are good for the environment.

javlinfaw7

In my area 20mph zones are only around schools  , though it's hard to to see or pass the schools in the mornings or evenings due to carelessly parked vehicles, it got so bad a couple of years back the council made the road outside one school  one way

Newportnobby

Our council has made all side roads and cul-de-sacs 20mph. TBH, I think the only people who gained were the sign makers. The folk where I live certainly ignore it whereas I'm aware there are kids and pets between me and the main drag and drive accordingly.
Of course, when the school lights are flashing then it's 20mph anyway.

chrism

Quote from: Redcap244 on July 05, 2022, 10:11:32 AM

It's not for that, it's for avoiding kiddies getting run over (or getting so badly hurt if they are) when they haven't been taught road safety.

I'm sure it'd be better if they brought back the Green Cross Code Man instead, and actively promoted cycling proficiency too.

Moria

Quote from: chrism on July 05, 2022, 11:07:32 AM
Quote from: Redcap244 on July 05, 2022, 10:11:32 AM

It's not for that, it's for avoiding kiddies getting run over (or getting so badly hurt if they are) when they haven't been taught road safety.

I'm sure it'd be better if they brought back the Green Cross Code Man instead, and actively promoted cycling proficiency too.

Green Cross Code.. pfffft  Bring back Tufty the Squirrel :)

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

Steven B

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 05, 2022, 09:55:53 AM
Er... yes it does.  I'll get many more miles per gallon cruising along in top gear than in 3rd gear at the same engine revs.  I agree you need to keep the engine in its comfortable torque power band so it's not labouring or thrashing.

So at say 3000rpm you do the same speed in 3rd as you do in 5th?

Steven B.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Steven B on July 05, 2022, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 05, 2022, 09:55:53 AM

So at say 3000rpm you do the same speed in 3rd as you do in 5th?

If course not!  3000 rpm in 3rd or in 6th the engine is drinking similar amounts of fuel (not exactly the same as it takes a bit more effort in higher gear with wind resistance etc. but it's not vastly different) but in 6th I'm getting way more speed and covering more distance for each revolution of the engine, therefore more efficient use of the fuel.   Simple.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations