'Privacy' / cookies notices here, there and everywhere

Started by Gordon, February 23, 2022, 11:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Is it just me / my machine?

In the last week or so I can't browse without a cookies or privacy notice coming up requiring me to re-confirm all my 'choices' . It doesn't seem to recognise that I confirmed my choices 10 minutes previously!

Anybody else getting the same thing?
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Platy767

Not every website I re-visit, and not every new website I visit, but I do certainly get asked about cookie preferences. I use Firefox browser on Win10, but I also have a MX Linux machine, using Firefox,  and I don't recall being asked, but I don't use that one very much.

Steven B

I think I've seen something similar when Firefox upgrades itself. I'm guessing the cookies contain something linked to the browser version.

Another option could be that there's a limited time that the cookies are valid for, set by the web server.

Steven B

Malc

You can set you browser to delete cookies when you exit. Maybe check the settings?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

emjaybee

I think it started occurring shortly after a European change in 'cookie' legislation. I get significantly more cookie confirmation requests now too.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Yep - PITA, and for a long time as well it seems.
Almost every site apart from this forum.
I generally don't have to re-confirm if I return to the site in one session of browsing, though.

njee20

Oh I assumed it was on the forum...? Yes, cookie permissions are always springing up elsewhere.

Dorsetmike

Same here, cookies at many sites, I would have thought that for forums and other sites that require log ins that it would be a simple matter to set cookie preferences at first registration.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations