Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I've always thought draught Bass to be a good quaffing ale that seemed to travel well (i.e. it tasted the same in any pub wherever you were). Likewise Fullers London Pride and Greene King IPA :pint:

talisman56

Bass - takes me back to the pre-CAMRA days and the 'price' of entry to a flat party at Uni was a Party Seven...  :uneasy:  :sick2:

The 'good quaffing ale' that's found everywhere (in my experience) nowadays is Sharps 'Doombar'...  :beers:
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

themadhippy

QuoteI've always thought draught Bass to be a good quaffing ale
one of the first proper beers i had in a pub with me dad and his work mates,they'd get in the pub  after finishing there shift at 10pm and manage 4 or 5 pints before 11pm closing,i'd maybe manage 2 pints,but at 15  i shouldnt have even been in there.

QuoteFullers London Pride
supposedly the've switched  the recipe back to the original,so hopefully its back to being a decent pint again

As for sharps and greedy king :poop:,nearly as bad as the ole party 7's,but at least watneys didnt hide there intent on world domination of the beer market
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

guest311

IIRC my first experience of beer was Watneys Red Barrel, back in '62

:beers:

guest311

just seen my first A400 in the metal so to speak   :goggleeyes:

over Burgess hill about 5 mins ago, heading west, presumably back to Brize for tea and biccies.

now I need to build the 2 x Revell kits in my stash   :-[

not as low as the Herks, Chinooks and Apaches we get over, but was over the town rather than the fields.

Caz

Quote from: class37025 on June 29, 2018, 06:24:39 PM
IIRC my first experience of beer was Watneys Red Barrel, back in '62

:beers:

I remember when I was little (giving my age away here) I used to go down to the off licence with my cousin to get his dad's beer and if you asked nicely you could get a miniature Watney's Red Barrel to go on a key ring and I thought it quite exciting to get one and even more so when I discovered you could actually take the top off to reveal a little secret hidey hole. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Red Barrel was stronger than Grotney's other foul concoction - "Starlight"

I also really used to enjoy Courage IPA for a good 'sesh'

Who else had one of those kits that clamped onto a Party4 or Party7 barrel and, using a Sparklets gas cylinder, you could pump it out even more foamy than it went in!?
I also remember the cinema ads for the Watney barrel starring John Cleese

Bealman

I have a Bass wagon on my layout!

No way could I possibly endorse Watneys Red Barrel. It almost put me off beer at the age of eighteen! Imagine.... no beer for the rest of my life because of that stuff!

Like Caz, I did have one of those keyrings, though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Being of slightly younger vintage (though I've now reached that age where the policemen are starting to look younger and younger each year), this is what I associate Watney Red Barrel with:

daffy

My first pint in a pub was Starlight.

It came in a nobbly beer glass with a handle.

It had bubbles in it.

It was greeny/yellow in colour.

It had very little 'head' on it.

It tasted like..........

Well, let's just say it had a taste, but what of I never quite worked out. And on a Family Friendly Forum like this I can't give a more apt answer. :no:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Quote from: class37025 on June 29, 2018, 06:47:51 PM

over Burgess hill about 5 mins ago, heading west, presumably back to Brize for tea and biccies.

not as low as the Herks, Chinooks and Apaches we get over, but was over the town rather than the fields.

Just like the Hercules, the Atlas, or A400, has a lovely distinctive sound as it flys. Living not a dozen miles from RAF Coningsby we occasionally get one fly relatively low over the garden as it heads in to land there. Seen one on the ground there too a few times but yet to catch one taking off.
And for those with no clue what we are on about:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 07:28:04 AM

It had bubbles in it.

It tasted like..........

Well, let's just say it had a taste, but what of I never quite worked out. And on a Family Friendly Forum like this I can't give a more apt answer. :no:

"Rental beer"?

Bealman

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 07:28:04 AM

It had bubbles in it.

It tasted like..........

Greeny yellow colour?  :sick2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

guest311

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 07:35:17 AM
Quote from: class37025 on June 29, 2018, 06:47:51 PM

Just like the Hercules, the Atlas, or A400, has a lovely distinctive sound as it flys. Living not a dozen miles from RAF Coningsby we occasionally get one fly relatively low over the garden as it heads in to land there. Seen one on the ground there too a few times but yet to catch one taking off.
And for those with no clue what we are on about:

and an unusual prop arrangement, each wing has one prop rotating clockwise, and one anti-clockwise.

but will it become as iconic as the sound of

a spitfire
a chinook
a shack
a herc [with the original 'paddle' props, not the latest ones

or a Vulcan !

daveg

Great head-on shot!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30