The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bikeracer

Found this site today,I didn't know toner cartridges could be refilled.
http://www.zinetic.co.uk/Default.aspx

Too late for me because I've already ordered a new Samsung printer,might give it a try when I next need new toner though.
Anyway I'll be glad to see my Canon printer in the skip at the recycling centre,I really am brassed off with it.
I've emailed Canon support just to see what reply I get about the short toner life.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Pengi

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 10, 2012, 08:37:18 PM
One thing to watch is many printers lie about when they need new toner.

My Dell has been informing me it wants new toner for about 2 months now despite regular use. When it runs out I'll change it. And it won't be Dell toner either 8)

The do lie, some more than others. My Samsung Mono is more honest that some - when the light starts flashing, I generally need to start shaking the cartridge within a couple of days to extract more life.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EddieA

Another thing to watch out for is that sometimes the cartridges supplied with a new printer are 'starters' and may not actually contain the same amount of ink as a full capacity replacement.

Also I have an Espon S20 printer which can take either T089x series cartridges or T071x series. The former are cheaper, but contain a lot less ink than the latter therefore actually work out more expensive! (thanks to a helpful member of staff at my local 'Staples' who pointed this out to me).

In any case I seem to remember reading that printers are sold at either cost price or even a loss and the manufacturers make their profit on ink?   
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

EtchedPixels

A lot of printers are sold that way yes. Indeed in the business space some companies *give away* printers with toner

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: EddieA on July 11, 2012, 01:24:28 PM
Another thing to watch out for is that sometimes the cartridges supplied with a new printer are 'starters' and may not actually contain the same amount of ink as a full capacity replacement.

In any case I seem to remember reading that printers are sold at either cost price or even a loss and the manufacturers make their profit on ink?   

Especially true of printers for photos >:(

EddieA

[/quote]

Especially true of printers for photos >:(
[/quote]

A few years ago a certain printer company were ('allegedly') shifting new printers in bulk. The reason:- a new printer with ink cartridges was cheaper than buying the replacements. Folks cottoned on to this and were binning their printer when the cartridges were empty and buying another new one... :smiley-laughing:

If you are ever bored;-  check out how much ink is in the cartridges you buy and multiply this up, say to the capacity of a standard wine bottle and then work out the comparative cost. Makes wine, or petrol!, look cheap    :'(

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

zwilnik

Someone once calculated that printer ink was more expensive per ml than the most expensive vintage champagne.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Zwilnik on July 11, 2012, 08:23:52 PM
Someone once calculated that printer ink was more expensive per ml than the most expensive vintage champagne.

Pint of magenta, anyone :beers:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: newportnobby on July 11, 2012, 09:48:19 PM

Green monster 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Tank

Well we had an amazing amount of rain and hail last night in Surrey.  The road outside of my house flooded again, then entered the neighbours house and the Sub Station, and then a river appeared on my back garden.  :(   I was at work and I hadn't finished the defences.  The garden is covered in mud and leaves, and flower beds have disappeared.  The water also came through the floor of my workshop and has damaged some expensive tools.  Luckily the house is 1 ft higher than the garden, so nothing came in.

I've written another letter to Croydon Council, so let's see what happens.  Apparently it's OK to let a road 'pond' for an hour. ::)  All they need to do is to put more drains on the surrounding roads to stop the streams of water coming down them (steep hills) and causing the volume of water to be greater than the drains on my road can cope with.  Simples!

longbridge

Sorry to hear about your lousy weather Chris but also pleased it never made its way into your house, sounds like the council need to do something to fix that problem.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 11, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

Green monster 8)

Mines a Purple Nasty......... :beers:

Jack

Quote from: Dock Shunter on July 12, 2012, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 11, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

Green monster 8)

Mines a Purple Nasty......... :beers:

It makes the real Irish Black Stuff sound positively cheap!  :beers:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Pengi

What winds me up is the way that football clubs are keep changing their strips for marketing reasons and sometimes the strip bears only a passing resemblance to the traditional design of the club.

I don't mind minor changes but when my club has changed it strip so that it now looks that that of another premier league team - then I get angry.

Another example is Cardiff City changing their strip from blue to red and their nickname to go along with it.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Greybeema

Quote from: Pendy on July 12, 2012, 12:43:22 PM
What winds me up is the way that football clubs are keep changing their strips for marketing reasons and sometimes the strip bears only a passing resemblance to the traditional design of the club.

I don't mind minor changes but when my club has changed it strip so that it now looks that that of another premier league team - then I get angry.

Another example is Cardiff City changing their strip from blue to red and their nickname to go along with it.

The thing is that here in Dublin the New Leinster Rugby shirts mark you out as a "New" fan or one who has jumped on the European Championship band wagon.  You get more kudos by wearing your old shirt (the more seasons back the better)...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations