Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talisman56

Quote from: The Q on December 03, 2018, 06:23:53 PM
I shall be at the GPs on Wednesday morning,  my answer would be,  I'm fine,  which I am, as long as I keep taking the pills.  The visit is to the Vampire.  The following week,  I shall visit again and my answer will be I'm fine.  I will be prodded, weighed, measured and get the results of the Vampire.

Aaah, the annual 'MoT' - I went down to have the blood-sucking bit done last week, and within 24 hours had a phone call from them saying we didn't like something we saw, can we have another lot?  :worried: ???
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

woodbury22uk

Quote from: daveg on December 04, 2018, 06:39:42 AM
That's interesting, Mike. Not sure I understand but no real surprise.

My state pension isn't taxable at source but forms a chunk of my personal allowance. My 'other' pensions get taxed and have their own tax codes.

There's no escape!

Dave G

Yes Dave, it was a bit surprising. She drew down a pension amount which meant the total income she received in the tax year was £12 over her personal allowance. The tax she had to pay was over £70 because HMRC counted the weeks of State Pension due before 5 April but which she did not receive until 10 April. This "accrued" amount put her £350 over her personal allowance.

From the Income Tax (Earnings and pensions) Act 2003, Part 9, Chapter 5 :-

"577
United Kingdom social security pensions
(1)
This section applies to—
the state pension,
graduated retirement benefit,
industrial death benefit,
widowed mother's allowance,
widowed parent's allowance, and
widow's pension.

Taxable pension income
If section 577 applies, the taxable pension income for a tax year is the full amount of the pension, benefit or allowance accruing in that year irrespective of when any amount is actually paid. "

If a person is in employment the relevant date for tax is the date that an amount is actually received, not earned or accrued.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

talisman56

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 03, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
Finally got through to the tax people at HMRC today and they agreed I have overpaid quite a large sum of tax. I'm told they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made. The cogs grind very slowly for them but I think t'would be different if I was at fault :unimpressed:

Don't forget to ask for interest on the overpayment - after all, they rack that on any underpayment you have to make, along with the 'late payment' penalty...  >:(

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

The Q

Quote from: talisman56 on December 04, 2018, 09:46:06 AM
I shall be at the GPs on Wednesday morning,  my answer would be,  I'm fine,  which I am, as long as I keep taking the pills.  The visit is to the Vampire.  The following week,  I shall visit again and my answer will be I'm fine.  I will be prodded, weighed, measured and get the results of the Vampire.

Aaah, the annual 'MoT' - I went down to have the blood-sucking bit done last week, and within 24 hours had a phone call from them saying we didn't like something we saw, can we have another lot?  :worried: ???

I sincerely hope your repeat test brings good results..

Ian Bowden

Quote from: woodbury22uk on December 04, 2018, 02:47:51 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on December 03, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
Finally got through to the tax people at HMRC today and they agreed I have overpaid quite a large sum of tax. I'm told they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made. The cogs grind very slowly for them but I think t'would be different if I was at fault :unimpressed:

As a new State Pension recipient, my wife recently found out that tax on the State Pension is charged on what she has been paid plus the amount sitting in the Government's bank that she did not receive until two weeks into the new tax year. This means that a new state pension recipient is liable for the tax on up to 4 weeks pension accrued but not paid at 5 April. So if your first pension idue week is in early March you could receive no money in the tax year but be liable for the tax on the 4 weeks of accrued pension!
Unless they have finally fixed the problem in the first year of retirement the inland revenue computer includes an estimate of earnings that includes the last years earnings plus state pension in the calculation of tax code. When I retired i queried the tax calculation and it was immediately recalculated manually. 

guest311

another point to consider, if your wife does not use all her tax allowance for her pension/s, she can transfer 10% [IIRC] of her tax allowance to you.

We did that when my wife retired, as my various pensions took me over my allowance.

worth looking into, 1d saved is 1d towards an N gauge loco  >:D

talisman56

Quote from: talisman56 on December 04, 2018, 09:46:06 AM

So I went down for another blood sucking session, and after the deed was done, the nurse went to update the computer and suddenly said 'wait - they wanted a fasting blood test'. The person on the phone didn't say that, says I. 'OK, these are useless, can you come in again, after fasting this time?'  >:(

guest311

left hand - right hand  :veryangry:

GroupC

Quite a few pages ago I posted that my friend had found out he has a brain tumour.

Since then it was diagnosed as the least bad sort, still needing surgery to remove however. He's now had another MRI and they told him it wasn't what they first thought. He's going in tomorrow for a 6-hour op to have it removed. All of this is awful enough but he apart from the initial "access" phase into his head, shall we say, he has to be awake for he whole operation.

Sort of puts stuff into perspective really and I cannot begin to imagine how his wife and family will be feeling tomorrow.

If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

Newportnobby

Quote from: GroupC on December 09, 2018, 02:23:15 PM
apart from the initial "access" phase into his head, shall we say, he has to be awake for he whole operation. If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

Yikes! I'll do my best

Skyline2uk

I shall as well

May I please just add @GroupC , as somebody who has spent the last week dealing with medical staff (though I am pleased to say for a far happier reason that your poor friend and their family) and I firmly believe that they are exceptionally skilled and deeply caring people.

Yes others have pointed to some admin issues within the NHS on this and the angry thread (and yes I have experienced this as well), but the core medical skill is superb.

Your friend is right where they need to be

All the best

Skyline2uk

Ian Bowden

RailGooner

Quote from: GroupC on December 09, 2018, 02:23:15 PM
If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

:heart:

Bob Tidbury

I think this should be in the sad thread .
Val and me had a phone call at five o'clock the other morning and we were told to get down to Swindon as soon as we could her Dad had just been taken to hospital and was in recuss unit we arrived at about six and things were not looking good the doctors gave him some morphine to help him ,by the evening he had picked up so much that we were told it was OK to go home so we did BUT we had another call to say he had taken a turn for the worse so we jumped in the car and arrived at midnight but unfortunately we were too late he had passed away ,I wish we had stayed down the night before and Val could have been by his side at least Vals Mum was there .
Some members of the Forum are coming to visit me tomorrow and Mum told me NOT TO CANCEL as there is nothing we can do at the moment and I need something to cheer me up ,Val is staying down with her to help sort things out .
I hope that people will understand why I havnt cancelled the day , It will really help me to feel better being with friends and not sitting on my own mopping and feeling sad .
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

Very sad news, Bob, but I think you're doing the right thing in not cancelling your meet up. At times like this we all need friends.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations