what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Well I now have a train room. It's got windows that don't leak, and other exciting mod cons that it didn't have before. Less sure about the slate floor.. I think the layout when built will need some guards to avoid anything dropping !

Unfortunately it's currently still full of builders tools, builders and random furniture as we move on to another room so it may be some time yet before I can do anything but plot ideas out. I am pondering a different approach for the baseboard support - cheap kitchen units seem to come with adjustable feet and most of them have a shell that has the top open for the worktop to sit on. That would fix the storage problem and still allow access. Plus the layout boards need to be removable anyway for maintenance.

Anyoned tried that approach ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

daveg

Getting a railway room is great news, EP.

Kitchen units can offer a cheap and practical way of having storage and support with a sensible working height as well. I did consider them for my room when we first moved here.

I changed my mind after deciding to build an L shaped layout and couldn't work out a simple way to have easy access to the underside, especially at the back (against the wall).

In the end I opted for IKEA adjustable trestles and Really Useful mobile drawers for storing locos and rolling stock. Other building materials are in more RU stacking type boxes.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Dave G

Dickydcc

At the moment Thetford Road lays on its side. I haven't touched it since November! However am getting through all of the moving "stuff" as we settle into the new bungalow. Hopefully will get it the right way up & screwed to the wall next weekend. Pleased to say that I gave negotiated with the land owner for some more space & the planning committee has approved an extension  :D

The Q

Still working my way through the inherited Boards updating  "Tiree" scenically.
Board 1 scenically complete
Board 2 almost scenically complete
Board 3 mostly scenically done,
Board 4 Not started update
New Board 5  Not started construction (this is hung between boards 4 and 6 so has to wait until 6 is built)
Construction of  new  board 6 has begun (1200mm *600mm)

stevewalker

Building another hill, laying track upon it and getting very frustrated with the joiners on the Z-gauge track for the narrow-gauge line. While waiting for things to dry, also soldering more droppers to the track I have already laid.

PaulinSouthMidlands

My layout (chipboard on ~2*1 frame)is sat on Lengthy kitchen worktop offcuts from when my kitchen was done. fixed to garage wall with wooden battens and metal posts with adjustable feet cheaply bought from DIY shop at front.

Lawnmower and heaven knows what else underneath

talisman56

Quote from: PaulinSouthMidlands on February 17, 2019, 07:32:51 PM
My layout (chipboard on ~2*1 frame)is sat on Lengthy kitchen worktop offcuts from when my kitchen was done. fixed to garage wall with wooden battens and metal posts with adjustable feet cheaply bought from DIY shop at front.

Lawnmower and heaven knows what else underneath

CJF had a warning in one of his layout books regarding the handles on mowers...  :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

marco neri

:hellosign:
Playing trains on the layout and watching Midsomer Murders on TV...

MARCO
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Stuart B

The plan is for the left hand spur to split, giving a third loop and an incline up to a country station.  I may swap out the x over for two turnouts as slow running trains tend to stick on it (remedy suggestions welcome).  Also trying to find a decent HST set in original blue and yellow but they are not easy to find.

Newportnobby

It may be the camera angle but the top curves look awfully close to each other :uneasy:
Do trains pass each other OK? (I'm assuming 'yes')

Stuart B

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 31, 2019, 09:02:35 PM
It may be the camera angle but the top curves look awfully close to each other :uneasy:
Do trains pass each other OK? (I'm assuming 'yes')

You are correct, they are a bit closer than the notches in the Kato re-railer suggest they should be, but trains do indeed pass ok.  The track is not pinned down and held in place only where the wires for the turnouts and power feed go through the board.  I follow the advice of one of the American Kato modelers on youtube and put a new power feed in immediately after each turnout.  I'm also going to put in a control board with DPDT switches for turnout control soon.

AndyRA

Running the trains while the weather is a bit wet outside.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

ntpntpntp

Taken a week's holiday to get some time in on the layout  :D  It's time to build the control panel for my loco depot modules, so today I've marked out and drilled out the panel to take the traverser and turntable controls and point switches  (section switches still on order).  Lined out the diagram this evening with pinstripe tape, stuff I've used since the 90s for this job (and indeed this tape probably dates from then!)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

crewearpley40

Thanks for the nnstalgic blue grey era and the manchester pull man photo andy ra. Good to hear and see you. Chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations