Plotter/cutter machines and MTC software...

Started by Zogbert Splod, January 31, 2016, 06:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

After 6 years my KNK Zing has developed a fault in the USB connection, currently awaiting news of the repair.  I have never had a problem cutting any material so far, the MTC software is easy to use and versatile, I would seriously consider buying another if a repair is not posible.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

Further to the above, failed to get sorted, sounds like it needs a new PCB, or the one currently fitted to go back to makers, which is in USA; so bought another on Ebay, slightly later model, but about half the price of a new one.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

themadhippy

QuoteAfter 6 years my KNK Zing has developed a fault in the USB connection
if its just the connector i'd be tempted to cut the connector of the cable and solder it direct to the pcb
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Dorsetmike

Checked with more than one cable, also checked on laptop as well as PC, one pin of connector on PCB was loose and resoldered, still the same, so diagnosis points to the USB interface chip which being a surface mount item is something I am not equiped to deal with even if I could decipher the chip type.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Dorsetmike

Think I may have sussed it, the USB socket on the back of the machine is upside down, cable plugs in either way but looking at the socket the slight curve is at the bottom (it's one of those almost square ones) so plugging in wrong way will have put the USB power to the wrong pin on the chip which probably won't have done it any good.

When the cable is connected correctly the machine does show in control panel as a USB UART FTR232R, but not working.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Delboy

Hi Mike,
Seems sad that for such a costly machine you are allowed to plug the USB in the wrong way and effective may have damaged the unit.
Bad design flaw i.m.o.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Dorsetmike

Machinne from Ebay arrived, took an age to unpack, loadsa tape. Enough spare blades to see me out. Anybody want my old one, (offers?) only needs a USB chip (FT232RL) buying and fitting!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations