First Generation EMUs

Started by Ed, November 08, 2023, 03:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Quote from: Bob G on November 09, 2023, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: martyn on November 09, 2023, 10:56:45 AMThe acceleration of the 309s, especially when running as 10 car, was phenomenal.

I didn't use them much, but I was always amazed at the speeds they reached between stops, and you could stand in the gangway and look at the spare cab speedo.

Martyn

There are good grounds for James Street to get OHLE then, so we can see 309s in their native land.

Bob

:offtopicsign:  :offtopicsign:

Just one thing-James Street is supposed to be LMR...... ;)

My ER stock initially was 'making the numbers up' as Steve hadn't got enough BR livery stock for the layout, but then it was sort of decided that there was a fairly major junction with to the ER which gave a better excuse for my Stock. Dave/southerngooner also supplies some suitable LMR or BR design locos and stock.

And I think Steve, assisted by Dave and me, still have more than enough to do detailing the layout!

Martyn

Dorsetmike

Surely the first EMUs in UK were in 1890 the City and South London Railway followed in 1898 by the Waterloo and City Railway, as for the first surface lines In 1908 the Lancaster to Morecambe and Heysham line was electrified by overhead lines at 6.6 kV 25 Hz, the LSWR started a programme of electrification in response to rising costs and loss of traffic to street tramways; their first installation was to Kingston, Richmond, Hounslow, Hampton Court and Shepperton, starting in 1917.
I don't know any detail of the Morecombe & Heysham line as to use of EMUs or electric locos but the LSWR used EMUs; from the title of this thread I'm surprised how the posts ignore these earlier EMUs
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Roy L S

Weren't the first EMUs those on the Volks electric railway in Brighton?

Ed

and The Newcastle electric tramway system opened in 1902, but I think everyone knew what I meant in the thread title.

Would you like me to change it to "First Generation electric-powered multiple unit allocated a TOPS classification or used on the mainline network since 1948"?

Ed

AndyRA

Re: First Generation EMUs

Today at 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: AndyRA on Yesterday at 11:10:14 PM
Where there's a will there's a way as they say. If I had waited for a lot of these early EMUs to appear in RTR form I would still be waiting to build my layout.

Wow! looks great.

Are they all kits Andy or totally scratch built?

Ed

The 501s are BH Enterprises 4EPB brass side kits, however the sides have had one compartment removed from each coach, and mounted on old Farish BG Mark 1 coaches. (The extra set of coach sides were used in making an early 304). The 4EPB cab ends had the original SR jumper details filed off and odd bits of plastic and wire added '501 style'. The sets were motorised with a Farish 87 mechanism.

The 304s were made with one of the early types based on old Farish Mark 1 coaches. The cab ends were made with 2mm plasticard filed and shaped. Some of the left over brass sides from my 501/EPB conversions were used, leaving gaps for the toilets and Guards compartment which had some filler added to give the sides a flush finish, and drilling out new windows.
A later style 304 with the larger windows was made using some BH Enterprises brass sides from a DMU Kit.

The 310s were made by converting various old Farish Mark 1/2 coaches which had the removeable window strips. These were replaced with some solid plasticard which had the new windows marked out, then drilled and filed. The cab ends were made in a similar fashion to the 304s from thick plasticard with new windows and jumper recesses drilled out and filed. The curved cab windscreens were made from perspex packaging from Peco Point Motors.

The 304s and 310s were originally motorised with a Greenmax chassis, but in more recent times were re-powered with a chassis by Tomytec.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Ed

Great modelling  :thumbsup:

Way better than anything I've managed to cobble together in other larger scales.

Thanks.

Ed

Steven B

Quote from: Ed on November 09, 2023, 01:51:29 PM"First Generation electric-powered multiple unit allocated a TOPS classification or used on the mainline network since 1948"

Getting there - you've missed overhead vs top contact third rail vs side contact side rail! Then there's voltage and AC vs DC to worry about. No wonder few have been made RTR! :bounce:

Ed

True, but I did mention AC in the opening post  :)

Ed

crewearpley40

Quote from: Ed on November 09, 2023, 03:34:28 PMGreat modelling  :thumbsup:

Way better than anything I've managed to cobble together in other larger scales.

Thanks.

Ed

appreciated Andy. Really helpful information and what's needed.

Portpatrick

Brave chap making the AM10, (class 310).  When I first lived in Watford in 1975, they were my regular commute to Euston.

gc4946

If a 1st generation AC EMU was made RTR, the best choice would be a 304, 305/2 (305 501-19) or 308 unit, all with raked fronts.
Tooling options would be for refurbished versions of the 305s and 308s.
Refurbished 305s and 308s lasted to the early 2000s.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

nharding99

It goes without saying that I'd love to see an AM4 (Class 304) manufactured in N Gauge  :) Perhaps one day those nice chaps at Revolution might oblige  :thumbsup:

My own version serves a purpose but is obviously not as refined as today's off-the-shelf models

Cheers
Nigel H

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

lil chris

When I built my first layout after retiring, I wanted to use EMU's the class 504 was the one in use on the Bury Victoria line before the line was converted to the Manchester Metro.
It had a unique 3rd rail, encased in wood. I think the route was first electrified by the L&Y railway in 1916. They had already electrified the first mainline railway at Liverpool in 1904, at first it was fourth rail but changed to third rail later.
I am certain I saw a 504 model at a exhibition years ago, it was oo gauge though not N, can't remember where.
Chris H.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Adam1701D

There is a class 504 in the Electra range, which is converted in the same way as the 304/4/8 units, using N-Train cabs and stripped old-style Mk1s.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations