New to N Gauge, help required

Started by mildon49, December 27, 2018, 03:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bealman on January 06, 2019, 02:32:28 AM
Multiple outputs via banana sockets I guess, but can I ask what the heat shrinked connection is, please?
The box was built in the late 80s for my previous layout, and has served me ever since.

The D-Sub 15 is actually the main layout connection and feeds up to the main control panel.  The terminal posts are for test purposes or when I just want to use the box as a bench power supply.   

To be honest, if I were building it now I'd probably use a different multi-pin connector to the layout with more current carrying headroom per pin, but the D-Sub works fine.  About 10 years ago I uprated the actual cable, which is why it's now a pair of thicker cables heat-shrinked together. The original cabling I'd used was too thin (computer data cable)

Left to Right:
1x 24V DC internal CDU with charging/ready LEDs (used with the previous layout before I started fitting individual CDUs to each point).
4x 16V AC (now used as 3x controller power plus 1x accessory power)
1x 24V DC (CDU power bus)
1x  6V DC (I think now disconnected, formerly used for powering the drive for a Peco turntable on the previous layout)

Actually, I wouldn't mind see a pic with the lid off!  :beers:

It's all packed away in our garage at the moment. Perhaps one day I'll snap a photo, but it's not that interesting!  There's a main fuse on the back, the mains is then split to 3 transformers, the outputs go into a choc-bloc array before distribution to the D-Sub and the terminal posts. There's a CDU in there and a couple of bridge rectifiers for the DC outputs.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

Oh, and by the way, G'day from Australia, Lee, and welcome to the NGF!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%