Geography

Started by port perran, November 25, 2014, 09:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon898

Maps and Nautical Charts have always held a fascination for me, but I agree that GPS is counter-intuitively making navigation more difficult as you become dependent on it.  Of course in this country, geography appears to be a failed art...I was once asked by a secretary Admin Assistant where my accent was from, and when I said "England", she asked if I had driven here (to Chicago)  :dunce:

longbridge

Quote from: Jon898 on November 27, 2014, 07:56:19 PM
Maps and Nautical Charts have always held a fascination for me, but I agree that GPS is counter-intuitively making navigation more difficult as you become dependent on it.  Of course in this country, geography appears to be a failed art...I was once asked by a secretary Admin Assistant where my accent was from, and when I said "England", she asked if I had driven here (to Chicago)  :dunce: .

:D :D :D :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Jon898

SWMBO had a similar experience when one of her colleagues (Italian American girl qualified as a school teacher) announced she was going on holiday to Europe.  The girl was asked how she would deal with the languages and said that she spoke Italian at home and was going to Italy and the Italian part of Switzerland, and the other country she'd visit was Austria and everyone spoke English there  :confused2: .  SWMBO tried to disabuse her of this assumption and was told in no uncertain terms that of course the Austrians spoke English...hadn't my wife ever seen The Sound of Music? ( Of course, in the film the Austrians (Plummer, Andrews, etc.) all had english accents and the germans all spoke viz ze gut cherman accents)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations