modular boards dimensions

Started by PooleSider, April 13, 2023, 05:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PooleSider

Could anyone recommend an idiots' guide to the dimensions for building modular boards that could join on to other peoples' boards and offer smooth continuous running across board joins please? I've noted several mentions of USA, Japan and Germany origins, but is there a UK standard: height, distance between board edge and track, between tracks, DCC and/or DC, etc.
PooleSider
Poole Siding near Wellington, Somerset; not the one on the Dorset coast.

ntpntpntp

Your best bet is first to find and join a local modular layout group with whom you'd like to participate, and follow their published standards.  Not much point in just selecting from the alternatives and then not having anyone near to connect to :)   

I've followed N-Club International (Germany) standards for my more recent builds simply because they invited me to link my layout to their huge multi-national show back in 2006.  I've also joined in when NCI brought modules over to UK shows (eg. TINGS and Chatham).  The great thing is you only need to comply with the physical dimensions and electrical connections at the outside ends of your contribution: within your boundaries you can do what you like of course, unless you plan to create modules which can be plugged together in a different order.

Friends in the East Surrey N Gauge group have N-MOD standard modules and also have adapter boards to convert between N-MOD standards and NCI (so they too can join in with the guys in Stuttgart :) )

https://esngclub.com/our-layouts/
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

NScaleNotes

Quote from: PooleSider on April 13, 2023, 05:33:57 PM
...is there a UK standard: height, distance between board edge and track, between tracks, DCC and/or DC, etc.
PooleSider

Not that I've seen. If you plan on taking them somewhere in particular you'll probably want to design your boards to match the standard in use there.

If not another option to consider is transition modules which is a module that has one end compliant with the specifications of one standard and the other end compliant with the specifications of a second standard (even your own standard).

Length can be the critical factor with some standards such as T-Trak/N-Trak where it might be difficult to fit a non-standard length into a layout of other T-Trak modules.
Something like Free-moN is much more flexible regarding length of the modules.

ntpntpntp

@NScaleNotes makes a good point about the need to consider how the various modules fit together to create a layout. 

Some modular standards assume you're creating a "roundy-roundy" and therefore the total lengths of the sides need to match up, as do the angles of curved boards. 

NCI assumes the general arrangement is a double track "dog-bone" with return loops at each end, plus the option for triangle junctions etc. to branch off.  Its a very flexible system which can snake off around a hall however they please.   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PooleSider

Thanks for the very prompt and helpful replies. My local club is about to embark on our latest N Gauge layout, which will fundamentally be a roundy. However, we like the idea of having a two track spur off which could link to a bolt-on module or three (which could be made by our own members or we could invite visitors to our exhibitions to connect), but will need to ensure our jumping off point is at a standard point on the board edge to ensure compatibility.  I envisage a dog bone at the end of the row of linked modules (or, indeed, connected direct to the main board if there were no modules to insert).
I shall follow up the helpful links and suggestions received so far for which, again, many thanks.

woodbury22uk

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

PooleSider

That's very interesting, for which many thanks. Great pics and info in the link.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations