"Spacewalker" DVD film

Started by GroupC, December 02, 2018, 08:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

Last night I watched this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spacewalker-DVD-Vladimir-Ilin/dp/B07448VCPF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543740082&sr=8-1&keywords=spacewalker+dvd

and really enjoyed it - a great film about Leonov and his first spacewalk mission back in the 1960s. Tense, gripping, authentic-looking and with excellent special effects.

Obviously being a feature film it's a dramatization and not 100% true to life (pedants watch out, don't come running to me to complain that "that switch was actually 5mm further to the left on the actual spacecraft" or some such whinge) but I would heartily recommend it to any space fans. I knew the Leonov story beforehand but still found myself willing them on, not just towards the end but also at quite a few points before.

It is in Russian with English subtitles which I don't mind but I know some people can't cope with this sort of thing so watch out if that's you.

Overall, 2 hrs well spent in a time when there is almost nothing of any value on TV.

By the way, it's in HMV's 2 for £10 offer at the moment, or £5.99 on its own. I got it yesterday, with "Solaris". Russian space-tastic.

Bealman

He nearly lost his life with that cold war stunt. Getting back into the spacecraft was problematic and he reduced pressure in suit to get back in.

Wonderful thing is he commanded the Apollo-Soyuz test mission in 1975 with great success and became great friends with Major Stafford.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

GroupC

Exactly, Bealman. He's one of my heroes (I always seem to like the "unsung" types), and was also technical advisor (or whatever they called it) on the film so it must have his stamp of approval too.

RailGooner

Quote from: GroupC on December 02, 2018, 08:51:46 AM
I got it yesterday, with "Solaris". Russian space-tastic.

I really like the original 'Solaris'. The Hollywood reboot starring Clooney manages to convey absolutely none of the drama/tension/horror of the original. So I think I'll follow your recommendation for 'Spacewalker'. :beers:

ADDIT: Apparently people who like 'Spacewalker' also like 'Gagarin: First In Space'. :beers:

GroupC

I've already got Gagarin: First in Space, which is also v good but I think Spacewalker is a much better film in many ways. I'm not a fan of Hollywood / American stars / remakes hence getting the original "Solaris", which I'm looking forward to watching.

Despite my all-round lack of interest in US culture however I would like to see "First Man".

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations