What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antipodean

Broadly speaking, GWR in the 1930's. It probably started because one of my first locos back in 2005-06 was a Farish pannier tank, and I found British stuff more appealing than American. (My other locos at the time were 2 Life-Likes, a B&O Diesel and an AT&SF 0-6-0). My love of the works of Agatha Christie, and particularly M. Suchet's portrayal of Poirot, have given me a fondness for that interwar style.

Also, it's what's available, which helps.

Also also, I can't afford to expand my taste too much. There are too many gorgeous locos out there.

PGN

For no particularly obvious reason, I decided to promote my NER O class (LNER class G5) 0-4-4T to the head of my project list and get it up and running.

Today I have it sitting nicely on a Dapol M7 chassis and running exceptionally smoothly round "Neraland 2" (far more smoothly than the M7s will ever run ... but then, they have lightweaight plastic bodies whereas the O class is a dirty great lump of white metal!)

Being satisfied with its running in all respects, I am now putting it in primer ready for final finishing.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Leon

Quote from: Antipodean on October 01, 2020, 08:25:49 AM
Broadly speaking, GWR in the 1930's. It probably started because one of my first locos back in 2005-06 was a Farish pannier tank, and I found British stuff more appealing than American.

Just read your post and it could have been posted by me - except that my first loco was a 00 Pannier Tank. I can't get it to run on N Gauge, but it looks nice on my bedroom chest! My first N Gauge loco was the Pannier, also, and is probably my favorite, still. I chose GWR to model primarily because of the Pannier, and like you the 30's featured so many steam locomotives in attractive liveries and a wide variety of wagons. My unfinished layout is Wiltsbury Junction.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

dennisfalcon

Mine is in its infancy, so covering late 80s into early 90s, but also quite liking the more modern era, and the arrival of not 1, not 2, but three 67s.
Just need some Arriva Trains Wales Mark3s which seem hard to come by.
Also have a preserved line which allows for older diesels and even the odd steam.

dennisfalcon

what is Electra Rail, are they safe to use?

crewearpley40

Quote from: dennisfalcon on January 28, 2021, 11:42:04 AM
I'd speak with adam  @captainelectra and ask his advice. Recommended

Adam1701D

Quote from: dennisfalcon on January 28, 2021, 11:42:04 AM
I produce pre-cut, self-adhesive vinyl overlays for coaches and units, including the Arriva Mk3 set. Check out www.electrarail.co.uk for a look at the range.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

PGN

And very nice they are too!

Don't suppose there's any chance of some LNWR coaches to go behind the Union Mills Prince of Wales (and double up for use as an LMS royal train)??

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Bad Raven

What else would a boy who grew up on the south coast in the 50's model than the L&Y and the Midland into LMS during the 30's?
Dave

chrispearce

I am beginning a US Logging layout. I have built a wooden stand on which the layout will sit and have commenced the baseboard frame today. It's all head-scratching and idiot maths interspersed with sudden dashes for my ruler, right-angle and saw. Thankfully no blood has been shed so far.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

PGN

I'm starting to bed some buildings into the landscape for the "village" section of Neraland 2. Most attention has been focused on the largest building, the "Old Ship Inn" ... I've got to get that one right. (I bought it second hand and ready built ... and a nice job has been made of assembling it, although there are a couple of walls missing in an extension at the back, so I've added some stout timbers to make it into an open lean-to).

The Old Ship Inn now has a cobbled yard, a stable block and a large glasshouse where they can grow much of their own kitchen produce. I still need to make the much heap and provide stable paraphernalia such as wheelbarrows. I might also plunder a Ratio cattle dock kit for a standpipe and tap, as I did for the diorama "Loading the Lorry" which was my first entry in the NGS AMMC.

There's a dirty great recess in the roof where a chimney stack is missing, so I need to get a great long ladder and put a roofer working in the tiles to hide it. That gives me an excuse for a 1911 Daimler lorry sitting in the yard to cover up a slightly sub-standard join in the cobble sheets (you'e gotta be creative in this game ... ).

Overall it's starting to look good ... which is important, as it is bound to draw attention during the regular hiatuses in train movements which are inevitable on a layout which is essentially just a single-track oval with a ladder yard at back and a passing station out front, all operated by a single controller ...

Foxhound

My layout is an as yet un-named fictional heritage diesel railway based somewhere in the Westcountry of England with some modern (Dapol 67s) and foreign (DB diesel hydraulic) interlopers.
It sees a lot of freight traffic for some reason, and the team there like recreating Speedlink trains of the early eighties....
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

RailGooner

Man cannot live by trains alone. :D Immersed in my original love of model aircraft and working on a 1:72 scale PZL.23B Karaś, a 1:72 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk.I and a 1:144 scale Eurofighter Typhoon F Mk.2.

dennisfalcon

Mine is work in progress, mostly covering the late 80s onwards, however, I do like the various liveries on class 66 and also the layout is home to 3 class 67s.  I like the modern era, but more recently I bought the model of 47550 and that on Intercity stock and Large Logo 47436 on Reggie Rail stock looks the bizzo.
Im enjoying building things, ive built a TMD, some houses, various platforms, a loo for the station, a footbridge etc.

So the collection looks like this:-
Class 03 Green
Class 22 Rail Blue
Class 26 Railfreight Redstripe
Class 31 Railfreight Redstripe
Class 33s, Dutch, RF Construction, Rail Blue
Class 47 IC and Large Logo
Class 66 EWS
Class 67 EWS, EWS and the Silver one.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30