A question for the 'collective' please

Started by Newportnobby, July 04, 2022, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

The MOT on my Kawasaki was due 3rd week of June, with road tax due end of June. Like an eejit, I left it until the middle of June before trying to book an MOT and was horrified to be told the earliest would be mid July. Needless to say, I couldn't tax the bike as the DVLA knew the MOT had run out the week before.
I've managed to get an MOT booked for later this week and the bike shop concerned has assured me that, as I am booked in for an MOT the bike is considered as taxed for the day while I ride it there and back.
I'm really not too sure about that and may have to get them to collect it, MOT it and then bring it home.
Does anyone know the legality of what the bike shop tells me please?

I do have a garage literally 250 yards from where I live but it only MOTs four wheeled vehicles so I'd not really trust them with a motor bike :hmmm:

exmouthcraig

Yep as long as you're driving to a prebooked MOT at an approved test station you are legally allowed to drive/ride too and from the station.

They take a dim view on you booking an MOT 100miles away from your home but pretty sure you can argue their your preferred garage.

JunoF52

Hi Nobby my turn to assist you.  Yes you can take a motor vehicle on a road to the place of an authorised prebooked MOT but you
must stick to a direct route from home (or where it is stored or repaired) to the test centre.  Honestly that is correct - I did spend
a few years driving a "jam sandwich" on theM1.
Geoff

zwilnik

via Pistonheads. Section 22 of this bit https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/schedule/2

Has to be roadworthy etc. of course and insured I believe. You should also have the details of the testing station and a contact number and name for verification. it doesn't stipulate anything about it being the nearest test centre.

JunoF52

Newportnobby

It is most certainly insured.
Thanks All. I feel much reassured. :sweat:

dannyboy

Just to throw a spanner in with the cat amongst the pigeons - @zwilnik in his bit from 'Pistonheads' states that the vehicle must be roadworthy. How do you know the vehicle is roadworthy until it has had its MOT? Just saying ............   >:D ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

zwilnik

Quote from: dannyboy on July 04, 2022, 10:03:29 PM
Just to throw a spanner in with the cat amongst the pigeons - @zwilnik in his bit from 'Pistonheads' states that the vehicle must be roadworthy. How do you know the vehicle is roadworthy until it has had its MOT? Just saying ............   >:D ;)

Given some of the 'roadworthy' ones I've seen in the past that had MOTs, kick all the tyres and start the engine. If anything falls off, consider trailering it.

[edit] (modified required number of tyres to include bikes and trikes ;) )

exmouthcraig

Even the test certificates carry the disclaimer

A valid MOT certificate confirms a car has met the minimum standard of roadworthiness at the time of testing, not for the period of the 12months the test certificate covers

:hmmm:

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 04, 2022, 09:55:23 PM
It is most certainly insured.
Thanks All. I feel much reassured. :sweat:

I concur. As long as the vehicle is booked in for an MOT it's legal to drive it to and from. Unless the MOT centre decrees it as dangerous in which case they are obliged to tell you not to drive it.

You'll be fine mate.   :thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Richardxharrison

Hmm pretty sure most insurance companies (slippery suckers!) say if MOT expired your insurance is invalid.... Happy to be corrected

Coyote

Different rules in France, skip to 3:30, where Tim reveals that a pile of wood on wheels is still being driven around before it is restored.

Visit Mossdale's YouTube channel for a view of a 1920's LMS railway in North Yorkshire or Mossdale Road for some shunting

https://youtube.com/@MossdaleNGaugeRailway

zwilnik

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 04, 2022, 11:08:15 PM
Uh-oh. Gulp :worried:

Give them a ring. If the policy doesn't cover this common scenario they're usually happy to sell you some temporary cover.

stevewalker

I've never heard of insurance that does not cover driving/riding to or from a pre-booked MOT - if it didn't you'd have to have repairs done at the MOT station if it failed. It is also legal to drive to and from a pre-booked place where work to correct failures found in an MOT is to be carried out - but oddly not to drive to and from somewhere for work to be done to fix a problem that you know will cause it to fail an MOT that you have not yet taken it for.

It's even more fun if you build your own car - you can drive it to and from the IVA (formerly SVA) test even though it is unregistered and therefore has no number plates! In that case, insurance is done on the VIN, which the DVLA issues or confirms first and you have to stamp on the chassis/body.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations