Re: Peco / UK outline TT gauge Models

Started by Bealman, June 07, 2022, 12:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moria

I think it will do quite well to be honest.

They have been very clear that they are using finer standards (as can be seen from the blade and checkrail clearances on the track) and it's a pretty solid scale  1/10th inch to a foot using code 55 rail as per N-gauge finescale track.  To me, it alo looks like the sleeper spacing is UK based as well. 

They have a range of buildings that they have done in laser cut using some of their new machinery, which is really a limited investment,  and it's been introduced on the cusp of the next great technical advance of 3d printing which can allow people to do so much more with just a scale change on their drawings.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Peco hosting a 3d model library for this new scale or something similar to help it progress.  Who knows if they could evn become a UK shapeways specifically for model railways.

The extra space inside the locos should make it much easier to fit with DCC , sound and stayalive..  I mean if you can get this into N.. then the new TT:120 should be no issue.

I think they have played a bit of a blinder really and started something that can become a modellers scale  (not that N isn't.. don't get m wrong, but just that little bit bigger for those of us old farts who are starting to have visibility problems).  If you look at the number of people who model in 2mm finescale, or P4, then there is a market for the models having the right size track under them and this may just be something that flies...  at least I applaud their experimentation.

There are hundreds of scenery buildings available by using things like scalescenes and either scaling the N gauge up or the OO down.

Reading the Modeller, they have obviously been planning this for a while and I think we will see thing take off pretty fast.. after all, one of the plans of the month relies on the short radius points which aren't even out yet.  I also suspect that some ready to run stock (locos etc) will be announced in the next couple of months at the latest.

It's also a standard scale for plastic kits and a scale that Corgi uses as well.  There are also many models on shapeways already for 1:120 scale.

I'm keen to see what happens in the next few months and may well start collecting a bit of stock for the future.

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

ntpntpntp

So the new Peco TT track is code 55 but is it the "double-T" embedded rail of the N system or a simple Flat-bottom rail?

I'm not sure what the code of the old Triang TT3 track was, my sets with the Series B track are all in a cabinet I can't get to at the moment!

I've just dug out my BerlinerBahn TT 1:120 start set, and the track for that uses code 80 rail.  An ancient Triang TT3 Castle class loco and wagons seem to sit and run on the plain track ok, and indeed the flanges aren't as deep as I thought they were.  The flanges seem ok on N code 55 plain track too, no sign of any bumping along the sleeper tops.  I don't have any TT pointwork to test back-to-back requirements.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Moria

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 10, 2022, 06:55:22 PM
So the new Peco TT track is code 55 but is it the "double-T" embedded rail of the N system or a simple Flat-bottom rail?

I'm not sure what the code of the old Triang TT3 track was, my sets with the Series B track are all in a cabinet I can't get to at the moment!

I've just dug out my BerlinerBahn TT 1:120 start set, and the track for that uses code 80 rail.  An ancient Triang TT3 Castle class loco and wagons seem to sit and run on the plain track ok, and indeed the flanges aren't as deep as I thought they were.  The flanges seem ok on N code 55 plain track too, no sign of any bumping along the sleeper tops.  I don't have any TT pointwork to test back-to-back requirements.

It states in the video it's insert moulded and constructed the same as the N gauge track and looks like embedded same as N-gauge finescale, so no chairs to bump along inside the rail...  I assume this also means the same rail joiners etc as N-gauge.

Triang TT3 track was code 100 I believe.

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

lil chris

Bit too late for me now to change. I used to have a TT layout in the 70's, it was in a space behind the wall in the upstairs bedroom in a dormer bungalow I owned with the wife at the time. That was my first marriage and unfortunately did not last very long. I ended up moving out and went back living with my parents, the house was eventually sold so somebody got my layout that I was building at the time, I got most of my belongings but that was forgotten about, wonder if it's still there ?, I doubt it lol.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

I have just returned from a holiday.  I bought a copy of Railway Modeller in Oswestry as I couldn't wait to return home to read my subscription copy.

I was thrilled and delighted to read about 'TT-120'.  I really like 'TT' gauge and this is a wonderful development.  Apart from the 12mm track gauge, it looks like it will have nothing in common with Tri-ang 'TT3'.

With a range of track, accessories and rolling stock, Peco are doing this properly.  The magazine has a few teases about a locomotive, including reproducing drawings of a GWR '2251' 'Collett Goods' 0-6-0 in 1:120 scale.  Peco made a very fine British 'N' gauge model of this engine about 15 years ago.  My guess is Peco knows of a suitable locomotive already in development.

But by whom?  Hornby's Arnold company produces some 'TT' items, so that might be an option.

Alternatively, at the Porthmadoc station shop, I looked at a couple of gorgeous Peco/Kato Ffestiniog Railway locomotives in '009' scale.  This makes me wonder... 

Anyway, what splendid news and, after seeing @joe cassidy 's comment on @Nbodger wonderful Hillsden layout thread, I was delighted to see a thread devoted to the topic.

With all good wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Gordon

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 10, 2022, 06:55:22 PM

It's the same code 55 rail as used in N finescale track, so PECO has already judiciously used items already used in other PECO products so has already economised on resources on this project

https://peco-uk.com/collections/track/products/c55-turnout-medium-radius-right-hand-unifrog
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Webbo

Perhaps this thread should be labelled 'Peco TT scale' rather than 'Peco TT gauge'. I gather that Peco is planning to match the track gauge to the scale (1:120) of the rolling stock unlike N or OO gauge which have bodies that are over scale by 8% and 13% respectively referenced to their track gauges. Also, the suggested rail code of 55 for Peco TT would be a closer match to scaled real rail height than what code 55 is for N scale (or gauge).

N scale suits me just fine considering the space I have for a layout.

Webbo

njee20

If nothing else, this announcement is giving the pedants huge amounts of ammunition!  ;D

joe cassidy

Just got a message from Hattons about a TT scale/gauge class 31.

Price £169.

You could get 2 shrubberies for that ?

maridunian

Quote from: Bealman on June 07, 2022, 07:38:47 AM
How many folk model 3mm scale these days?

I reckon they'd be sparse! I may be wrong... does the 3mm society still exist?

There's no stock, unless you build it yourself!

Yes, they're still around, but that's 1/100 - Peco are launching a UK 1/120 range...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

PLD

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 14, 2022, 12:09:56 PMYou could get 2 shrubberies for that ?
??? ???

£169 is less than 10% over the current RRP of a Farish 31, so probably about right for a larger item in a more limited market...

ntpntpntp

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 14, 2022, 12:09:56 PM
Just got a message from Hattons about a TT scale/gauge class 31.

Got a link?    Is this a new model or the old Triang TT3 model?  £169 would be ridiculous for the old model, although the blue livery ones are very rare and command a higher price I believe.

[edit] Ah, Heljian proposing a new model.   Not due until Oct 2023 so don't hold your breath :)    Also an 08 by the look of it.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000399/1000618/1000635/0/heljan_tt_gauge_1_120_scale_diesel_locos/prodlist
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

njee20

One presumes that some mk1 coaches or something will follow too.

I had a very quick look through the continental stuff to see what was out there for a 66 to pull (re: Gaugemaster's proposal) and it's frustratingly little; couldn't find any silver bullets, Megafrets or Cargowaggons that operate on the continent.

Train Waiting

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 14, 2022, 01:53:13 PM

[edit] Ah, Heljian proposing a new model.   Not due until Oct 2023 so don't hold your breath :)    Also an 08 by the look of it.

Thank you for this.  I had a look at Heljan's website where there is some information on the Brush 'Type 2'.

It also mentions the 350hp shunter and a Hunslet 'Austerity' 0-6-0ST as having been identified as possible future projects.

https://www.heljan.co.uk/post/no-compromises-british-outline-1-120-tt-is-here

All very interesting.

Best wishes

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

ntpntpntp

Heljian  Doh I must remember to spell this firm's name correctly.  Heljan

force of habit to write ...jian   due to my use of Zildjian cymbals in my other hobby  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations