Re: Peco / UK outline TT gauge Models

Started by Bealman, June 07, 2022, 12:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willike1958

While I do see the attraction of TT, given the supply problems with China, which are likely to be long term,  I would have liked to have seen Peco focus on further developing the quality and range of their N gauge range of products.

Rabbitaway

I don't see this being a massive risk to Peco as they are well established as a manufacturer of track and there is a European market for 12mm gauge track. They have a good foothold as a supplier of track in Europe so this will just be another line to sell to established modellers there. No more limited market than some or the larger narrow gauge track they already offer. Peco are a very careful and cautious organisation and not known to rush into new products. The buildings and accessories offered will see if there is an appetite for British TT:120 and unlikely to have been much of a costly investment. There may be a limited UK market with modellers able to use 3D printed items and loco bodies on European chassis. We as n gauge modellers are having to turn to 3D printed items such as road vehicles due to lack of supply, therefore this flexibility may also help those who choose TT:120

dannyboy

'Gaugemaster' have put out an email to the effect that they are releasing some TT figures and accessories. Also, they are thinking of a Class 66 and asking what liveries people want.

"TT Scale returns with announcements from Gaugemaster and Peco. We are bringing to market a range of Scenics, Figures, and Accessories which compliments Peco's announcement that they are releasing buildings and track in this scale too."

"It is also our intention to release a Class 66 in this scale, subject to demand. What liveries would you want to see? What else would you like to furnish your layout with?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mr Sprue

I'm a member of a Table Top group on facebook and believe me it has a strong following. It is a gauge that is crying out for investment and up to date rolling stock to be produced for it. So I can see why the main manufacturers are showing interest as they have bashed the hell out of everything else and struggling to find any viable rolling stock to produce in N or OO.

Currently TT modelers are either refining the RTR models they have or buying kits that TBH are pretty rough and need a lot of work to make them fit donor chassis and modeled not to have a 'toyish' look about them.

Then there's the older generation who's eyesight begins to struggle with N Gauge and reluctantly jump to OO, to discover there is a massive physical size between the two gauges. Where as TT or 3mm is a gauge I feel slots neatly between the two, its not too small or too big! 

As for Peco they have their own in house resources to make the tooling for track no matter what gauge, so their outlay with their experience isn't going to break the bank. And lets face it they are world leaders for producing track no mater what gauge!

I feel a little aggrieved that I have missed the boat, because If I was 10- 15 years younger I would be seriously looking to produce products for this gauge as I firmly believe it will be reborn!

Brian-1c

South African enthusiasts will be pleased to see this track. 12mm scale track is just right for HO scale South African Cape gauge at 3'6"
Brian

ntpntpntp

@Brian-1c   Peco already make HOm 12mm track to represent narrow gauge.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Gordon

Quote from: dannyboy on June 09, 2022, 08:07:24 PM
'Gaugemaster' have put out an email to the effect that they are releasing some TT figures and accessories. Also, they are thinking of a Class 66 and asking what liveries people want.

Just as PECO are able to use components already in existence, I assume Gaugemaster are working on (at least partly) repackaging stuff that already exists for European TT, as they do with trees, roadways etc where 'Gaugemaster' branded items are actually imported from the European model manufacturers and rebagged and relabelled. 
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Moria

and the imagination goes into overdrive when you then realise that GWR broad gauge comes out at damn near 18mm gauge (technically 17.84mm) making all those lovely wheels and chassis etc which are available for 18mm gauge for EM useable.

I mean, think of a Bristol and Exeter railway 9' driver loco..  thats a standard 23mm driver from Romford on EM axles :)

Additionally 3'6" gauge would be 9mm gauge,  again lots of ready to use stuff :)  thinking tramways in Exeter or Torquay amongst other things using the tomy inlaid tramway track on cobbles.  Exeter tramway was around during the last few years of the Broad Gauge even if horse drawn.

Finally, 2'6" narrow gauge is z gauge track.   Possibilities, possibilities :)  Welshpool and Llanfair feeder, also proposed in Broad gauge days even if a little out of area and technically not actually running till just after broad gauge days.

hmmmmmmm   I know it would probably get me banned from here, but the thought is very tempting, especially with a new 3d resin printer waiting to be used :)

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

chrism

Quote from: Gordon on June 09, 2022, 11:34:45 PM
imported from the European model manufacturers and rebagged and relabelled.

and, quite often, repriced  ;)

BobB

So are we going to end up with track and trains that are to one scale size or are we again to have to put up with narrow gauge track to fit the mechanism into locomotives ?

PLD

Quote from: BobB on June 10, 2022, 07:52:01 AM
So are we going to end up with track and trains that are to one scale size or are we again to have to put up with narrow gauge track to fit the mechanism into locomotives ?
No - as stated a number of times in this (and the other open thread), this is an introduction of UK Outline models to the European 1:120 scale, instead of the traditional UK 1:100 'TT' scale.
At this scale the precise equivalent of Standard Gauge track would be 12.175mm so 12mm is correct to the nearest half-mm...

Steven B

Quote from: willike1958 on June 09, 2022, 04:29:45 PM
While I do see the attraction of TT, given the supply problems with China, which are likely to be long term,  I would have liked to have seen Peco focus on further developing the quality and range of their N gauge range of products.

Peco make all their products in Devon - supply problems with China will only have an impact on any raw materials that Peco source there. They've also recently invested heavily in new machines for making track and so it makes sense for them to exploit them. I'm sure some would rather they expanded their N Gauge ranges but it's nice to see new products being developed for the export market in mind.

Don't forget that Peco have just released a completely new wagon in N - I think the last was the HAA about 15-20 years ago!

Steven B.

Moria

Quote from: Steven B on June 10, 2022, 08:50:22 AM

Peco make all their products in Devon - supply problems with China will only have an impact on any raw materials that Peco source there. They've also recently invested heavily in new machines for making track and so it makes sense for them to exploit them. I'm sure some would rather they expanded their N Gauge ranges but it's nice to see new products being developed for the export market in mind.

Don't forget that Peco have just released a completely new wagon in N - I think the last was the HAA about 15-20 years ago!

Steven B.

They have also just released code 100 concrete sleepered flexi track with pandrol clips in OO I believe.

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

Bealman

TT may have entustiasts on the continent and even elsewhere, but unless a reasonable rtr range is released by someone, I can't see it working in the UK.

Sorry! Speculation of course, but I too followed the Triang story and it's demise as a kid.

However....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

willike1958

Quote from: Steven B on June 10, 2022, 08:50:22 AM

Steven B.

That's exactly what I mean. Peco could maybe gain an edge on Bachmann Farish in terms of bringing n gauge  stuff to market more quickly and reliably through their UK-based production capacity. In this context I feel that TT is a bit of a distraction. I say this as someone who is the happy owner of 60 Peco HAAs ! 

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations