Queen's Platinum Jubilee and official 96th Birthday

Started by Newportnobby, June 02, 2022, 01:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Just spent the morning watching the Beeb screening the 'Trooping of the Colour' along with the flypast. Just glorious :claphappy:
Pomp, precision and pride in spades.
I dare say I won't be saying the same thing about the upcoming concert with so called 'stars' and 'celebs' :no:

Malc

Why did they fire a 86 gun salute? What is significant about 86?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

chrism

Quote from: Malc on June 02, 2022, 03:37:20 PM
Why did they fire a 86 gun salute? What is significant about 86?

I can only find references to an 82 gun salute in Hyde Park and a 124 gun salute at the Tower of London.

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/uk/what-time-82-gun-salute-today-royal-event-explained-gun-salutes-uk-3718406

QuoteA basic gun salute is 21 rounds, which are fired at 10-second intervals.

In Hyde Park an extra 20 are fired because it is a Royal Park.

At the Tower of London, they fire a 62-gun salute because it is classified as a Royal Fortress.

The extra 21 rounds are added for the City of London as a mark of British citizens' loyalty to the crown.

Given it is theQueen's official birthday and the Platinum Jubilee of the Queen's coronation, the number of shots will be doubled on 2 June.

So, there will be an 82 gun salute in Hyde Park and 124 volleys coming from the Tower of London.

crewearpley40

Correct it was an 82 gun salute. 86 refers to Her Majesty receiving an 86 guns salute to celebrate her birthday in 2012.

guest10040

I also watched this morning, but I'm afraid I was not as impressed as @Newportnobby.

mind you, my advancing years may be affecting my recollections, but I seem to remember trooping the colour as having battalions, not companies, which really looked more like a couple of platoons.

it may also have been the camera angles, but if not, then I would suggest that RSM Britten would have had a few [choice] words to deliver [at full volume] re the standard of drill and dressing.

mind you, lets be honest smart arms drill was lost when the army got the 'johnnie seven' gun  :-[

ok, this will be construed as political, but over the decades politicians have cut our armed forces savagely, while expecting them to do more [I will not mention illegal wars] so I think the actual boots on the ground did, as always, us and HM proud.

how they managed to achieve such a high standard in such a short time, with all their other commitments demonstrates why our forces are the envy of most countries.

I would also suggest, that it might be nice if the BBC commentator actually looked at what the cameraman was filming during the flypast, as far as I know the P-8 Poseidon Maritime Patrol aircraft is not actually a four turbo propped tactical transport, and the Rivet is not a wide body four jet transport either.

but of course the BBC is having to make cuts, as we know.

so, as always, our forces have done us, and Her Majesty, proud, but I'm afraid a shadow of what this country was once able to produce.

coffee maker - yes
coffee pods - yes
jaffa cakes - yes
cushion - yes [well, those steps are hard on an old  :hmmm: like me.

Newportnobby

@Redcap244
I have to admit there were several wavy 'straight' lines, Alan, and the commentary did state there were many first timers, both human and equine.
I was going to watch the prog about the beacons tonight but it starts at 8pm and, AFAIK, no beacons will be lit until 9.45pm so it's probably just a rehash of today for about an hour and a half.

gc4946

My today's royal entertainment was seeing the naming online on Facebook's Severn Valley Railway page of 34027 Taw Valley as purple no 70 Elizabeth II at Kidderminster https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-61673192
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

joe cassidy

martyn

I put it on a different thread, but the Lancaster flew low down over my house on its way to the fly-past.

Awesome-sight and sound.

Martyn

TrevL

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 03, 2022, 11:35:36 AM
Anyone on here get a knighthood ? :)

No, but I've got a hoody I can wear in bed if I choose, does that count?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

I am one of many MBE's on the forum.

(Member of the British Ex-patriots).  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jon898

Quote from: dannyboy on June 03, 2022, 03:17:03 PM
I am one of many MBE's on the forum.

(Member of the British Ex-patriots).  :)

Let me guess, you used to carry a briefcase with a gold leaf OHMS on it...Only Holds My Sandwiches.

Jon

woodbury22uk

Just an aside on the Trooping. My late father-in-law attended the rehearsals for the Trooping in an official capacity. He noted at the time that her Majesty always had a well-read copy of the Sporting Life with her at 4.30am when the rehearsal took place.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bealman

Watched the replay of the concert outside the palace last night. Ok, except I was peeved that the final act was American.  :thumbsdown:

The real stars of the show were the people who designed, installed and operated the lighting displays.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations