NGF forum v NGF facebook !

Started by Mr Sprue, April 19, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portpatrick

Thank you Tank for posting the tutorial

Interestingly, partly for fun, when I had typed my post I tried the "Add image..." link and followed it through, choosing a picture, filled in the compulsory fields and clicked add to post.  I did not see anything appear on the post I had been preparing.  But the "picture selection box"  then showed a new blank post.  I concluded adding a picture had to be the first stage of the process and gave up.  Admittedly I was expecting to see the picture rather than a code.   But I did not even see the code on what I was preparing.  Having tried again it seems to have worked this time.

Bigmac

ooh--tried the way tank demonstrated instead of using the BB code method--its worked!

so that copied a photo on my laptop files rather than the sit gallery
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

njee20

I don't really want to add another voice to the "posting pictures is hard" crowd as I've been a member of a forum with no image capabilities at all, you had to host them elsewhere, but it is a faff on mobile. Principally that you have to select a gallery, and then name the file, and it's 50:50 whether it'll be the right way up or not, and if not it's a right rigmarole. As such I post a lot more photos to Facebook. But Facebook was designed for sharing images and such content in the easiest way possible, the forum wasn't. Again, horses for courses. I like both, for different reasons.

Portpatrick

Yes I agree with your final remark.  The main Forum is the only way to gather deeper discussions esp on topics you want to go back to.  Which at times I do.  FB is good for an item of the moment,  but can be a  pain if you want to backtrack. 

chrism

Quote from: Bigmac on April 25, 2022, 06:20:11 PM
ooh--tried the way tank demonstrated instead of using the BB code method--its worked!

Well done.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage to putting your photo in the gallery then getting and posting the BB Code is that you can then have a photo within the post which is clickable to zoom in/out without physically leaving the post/thread.

For example, try clicking on this copy compared to clicking on yours;

Personally, I prefer this way but agree that it's a bit more of a faff to get there. However, each to his/her/their own, as they say.

Bigmac

Quote from: chrism on April 25, 2022, 06:52:10 PM

Well done.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage to putting your photo in the gallery then getting and posting the BB Code is that you can then have a photo within the post which is clickable to zoom in/out without physically leaving the post/thread.

Personally, I prefer this way but agree that it's a bit more of a faff to get there. However, each to his/her/their own, as they say.

Noo--dont enlarge it too much--even i can see more faults.

chrism

Quote from: Bigmac on April 25, 2022, 07:00:28 PM
Quote from: chrism on April 25, 2022, 06:52:10 PM

Well done.

Noo--dont enlarge it too much--even i can see more faults.

Fear not, I have that t-shirt as well  :smiley-laughing:

It doesn't enlarge the image any further than the size of the original image that was uploaded, anyway - just the same as when the embedded pic links to its page in the gallery and you click on that to zoom to full size there.

ntpntpntp

Um... that method ("Add image to post and upload to gallery") adds the photo to the "Random Photos" gallery (if that's what you select)  and inserts BB code into the post you're writing.   I use the same method but prefer to add photos to my personal gallery instead of Random Photos, so that I have them categorised for re-use later on other posts. Other than choosing a different place for the uploaded photo when the pop-up shows, it's exactly the same.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

GlenEglise

Bigmac

as an aside--i discovered--to my surprise--that when i copy / pasted a video clip to my facebook page, other clips were also visible to all and sundry.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on April 25, 2022, 06:22:00 PM
I don't really want to add another voice to the "posting pictures is hard" crowd as I've been a member of a forum with no image capabilities at all, you had to host them elsewhere, but it is a faff on mobile. Principally that you have to select a gallery, and then name the file, and it's 50:50 whether it'll be the right way up or not, and if not it's a right rigmarole. As such I post a lot more photos to Facebook. But Facebook was designed for sharing images and such content in the easiest way possible, the forum wasn't. Again, horses for courses. I like both, for different reasons.

Hi

The right way up or not depends on how the device you take the photo on is orientated. For example if the camera on my iPad is top left then the pictures are right way around on the forum. If the camera is bottom right then the photos are upside down.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

njee20

Yeah, but most software can work it out. That aside, my point was more that it's a ballache to get them to re-orientate though.

OffshoreAlan

I am surprised that some folk appear to suffer
a mental block when posting pics here. IMHO, compared
to the complexities of planning, building, and wiring
a model railway layout, posting pics is a ..............

:bounce:

Dalek

Quote from: Bigmac on April 21, 2022, 03:39:06 PM
Quote from: Dalek on April 21, 2022, 02:35:38 PM

I like the engine shed, got a closer pic of that, is it a kit ?

Craig

Looks really good, well it did when it was possible to see the picture, just a big blank box now.

Any chance of posting a few pics of it please ?

Craig

no--not a kit. I had it custom made a couple of years ago.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations