Apparently we're not allowed to talk about anything apart from trains!

Started by weave, February 24, 2022, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris Morris

I'm not a Mod and I don't know any of the Mods but I know its a difficult job that they do for free. I didn't see the thread that was closed and have no idea what it was about but so far as I am concerned the Mods on here do a good job and don't deserve criticism. Ok, one or two individuals may not be happy with one action the Mods have taken but I don't think it is fair or right to start a thread attacking the Mods. If folk are really not happy with the way this forum is run then there is nothing stopping anyone starting their own forum.

Keep up the good work Mods.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

PLD

As someone who has previously moderated other (non-model rail) forums and wouldn't want to do it again...

As a whole the mods do a very good job with a very light tough compared to most other forums; however there is one Mod who appears significantly more interventionist and trigger-happy compared to his colleagues, be it moving, merging or closing threads. (2/3s of grumbles about moderation I've seen do involve that same moderator, including at least one from another Mod!)

I don't know how much the Mods consult each other before acting - it appears they did in this case but I'd suspect not always...

If you do have a complaint about the action of a moderator, I'd suggest that you use the 'report' function and request it is reviewed by the other moderators, rather than posting about it on the open forum.

Mr Sprue

Some of the qualities that make a good moderator is the a ability to remain impartial, open, and unbiased. Regarding the Topic 'Tutu Day' none of these were applied.

Probably it would therefore be for the best if categories such as 'Computer Help', 'General Discussion sub Jokes' and Ebay were all completely removed.  And of course any other topic or thread that doesn't in the slightest way relate to trains as well!

The Q

Mr Sprue

I'm beginning to suspect alcohol could be playing part in this. I have to confess I no longer drink when the keyboard is in front of me!  :-[

GrahamB

When I first read this thread I thought someone was going OTT and it had been locked for that reason, so I went and had a look.

I had a good chuckle, something I wouldn't have had if this thread hadn't been started.

Had it run it's course? I suspect it still has some laughs in it. So far as I can see, no-one has been offended pre locking so yes, I'm struggling to see why it was locked or indeed, even why it was under consideration.

Unfortunately, if it was now unlocked I worry it could take a darker direction so I'd suggest moving on and ask the mods to consider the wider picture in future.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Nbodger

The problem in the first place was the thread title Tutu Day, now if it had been TUTU TRAIN DAY all would have been fine.  :no:

Ok I'm off now, got my coat

guest311

for what it is worth, and as one who has been on the naughty step a few times while 'on report'  :-[ I must say that I feel the majority of the mods do a great job, I may not always agree with their decisions, but that is up to me.

if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

however, I do sometimes wonder if some members should really show a little more sense, as in if you get upset easily, then don't read the angry thread.
a bit of self censorship of the threads you read might be an idea, or is it that some people look for these posts specifically to be able to complain, maybe even posting as well to raise the temperature before complaining. :hmmm:

I must admit that there are one or two members who I have learnt never to read their posts, which appear to be on just about every subject, which make even me get  :veryangry:

GrahamB

Quote from: Nbodger on February 25, 2022, 09:43:32 AM
The problem in the first place was the thread title Tutu Day, now if it had been TUTU TRAIN DAY all would have been fine.  :no:

Ok I'm off now, got my coat

Surely it would have then needed to be moved to the real railway section  :D
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

joe cassidy

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 24, 2022, 10:42:35 PM
Quote from: joe cassidy on February 24, 2022, 08:46:14 PM
Hands up those who were prefects at school.

I was !

And the point your making is?.......

That the rôle of the moderators reminds me of the rôle of prefects in school.

Tank

Hi all,

I have unlocked the thread and will talk to the team later on as a whole. I can't see why it was locked, so I'll investigate.

I appreciate the positive comments from some members on here.  We are human, mistakes happen.  I'm happy to listen and act on that.

Trainfish

I love you Tank. Will you have my babies? Or is that just a tiny step too far?  :hmmm:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tank

;D  I appreciate the offer.  I'm afraid that I'm not a qualified babysitter.   ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations