Apparently we're not allowed to talk about anything apart from trains!

Started by weave, February 24, 2022, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

As the title says, apparently we're not allowed to talk about anything apart from trains. Can't even make a joke about Tutus.

So, Railwaygun, in your infinite wisdom, can you please delete the 'GENERAL DISCUSSION' section.
Ridiculous!

emjaybee

Actually, I'm with @weave .

What does it matter what's spoken about in the General Discussion thread?

We've got threads on football, cycling, baseball, formula 1, American football, Olympics, non-modelling DIY, Valentine's Day, disaster preparedness in Japan, best before dates, Amazon Prime, juke boxes, music, motoGP, horse racing, various medical ailments, the list is long and varied.

I'd also like to point out that many, and I do mean many, of these have been started by Mods. So please can we either delete the General Discussion thread and cause serious damage to the Forum moral and community or could we please avoid going back to heavy handed Mod'ing.

What we have works, let's have the light touch.

:thankyousign:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

SD35

I was disgusted by that thread. I don't want my kids being exposed to golf.

weave

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 24, 2022, 04:27:06 PM
A bit OTT for a topic that had seemed to run it's course :goggleeyes:

Sorry, maybe it had, maybe it hadn't but who is he to decide. It had only been on there for a few days and anyway that's not the point. It was like, that's enough talking, finish your railway homework and go to bed.

njee20

Have to agree with Weave, as someone who had read, but wasn't actively engaged in the thread. Yes it was rather random, and a bit of an 'old boys club' thread, but it was quite active, not sure why one person gets to decide it's run its course. Great way to kill a forum to arbitrarily stop threads. We've been here before, and things had been much better.

Newportnobby

Just so as you all know where to fire your arrows it was me who suggested locking the thread as I thought it had run its course

grumbeast

With the greatest respect Newportnobby (which I mean.. not trying to be sarcastic), I know you are a mod but who are you to decide when an inoffensive thread in 'General Discussion' has run its course?  If there was something there that could upset someone then fair enough I'd understand, or if it had been in one of the specific sub threads, same thing, or even if someone's legitimate question thread had been hijacked.  None of these things is true.  It was a stupid thread for sure, but it didn't break any forum rules as far as I can tell.

Light touch moderation keeps forums healthy and while there is no point in unlocking the thread necessarily, locking it does set a dangerous precedent for what is a very healthy forum

My two cents worth, consider an arrow (albeit with a soft foam tip) fired

Mr Sprue

I was led to believe that in the 'General Discussion' section, we could post pretty much anything unless it was about politics, religion or abusive/ offensive material.

Guess I was wrong!  :confused1:

joe cassidy

Mr Sprue

exmouthcraig

Locking a thread topic that allowed us the chance to legitimately see @Trainfish in some of his more exquisite outfits is surely deemed harmful  :hmmm:  :D

But the fact that certain individuals can post absolute dire  :censored: can bombard threads with pointless comments on EVERY topic and in my opinion quite frankly ruin the forum and nothing happens to prevent that certainly suggests total inconsistency

Mr Sprue

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 24, 2022, 10:44:31 PM

But the fact that certain individuals can post absolute dire  :censored: can bombard threads with pointless comments on EVERY topic and in my opinion quite frankly ruin the forum and nothing happens to prevent that certainly suggests total inconsistency

What like the comments posted on 'Ebay Madness' ?

OffshoreAlan

Quote from: OffshoreAlan
I was under the impression this site was about Choo Choos, not tutus.

Oh dear, my light-hearted pun seems to have been taken as a serious complaint by an overactive Mod who closed the thread after it.

For which I apologise folks  :dunce: :sorrysign:

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 24, 2022, 04:27:06 PM
A bit OTT for a topic that had seemed to run it's course :goggleeyes:

Run it's course? I had only just started. I've got LOADS more pictures  :P
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations